What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If it's not a done deal....

dazeely

First Grade
Knights won't extend Hagan deal
Written by: Knights news
13/01/2006
Newcastle NRL coach Michael Hagan looks set to link with Parramatta in 2007 after the Knights today announced they would not be extending his contract beyond this season.

Hagan asked for a decision on his future to be brought forward from mid-season after informing the Knights that he had received an offer from a rival NRL club, believed to be Parramatta. The Eels had discussions with Hagan late last year after the 2005 minor premiers announced they would not be extending coach Brian Smith's contract beyond 2006.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hagan likely to coach Eels after Newcastle bid him goodnight
Email Print Normal font Large font January 14, 2006

NEWCASTLE coach Michael Hagan looks set to take over at Parramatta in 2007 after the Knights yesterday announced they would not be extending his contract beyond this season.

The Eels have reportedly been pursuing Hagan since November, when it was revealed last year's minor premiers would not be extending Brian Smith's stay at the club beyond 2006.

Hagan this week informed the Newcastle board that he had received a formal offer from a rival NRL club, and asked that a decision on his future with the Knights be brought forward.

"The Knights board had previously indicated they would not make a decision on Michael's future until mid-season," Newcastle chairman Michael Tyler said. "That decision was brought forward to today at the request of Michael, who informed the Knights board he had received an offer from another NRL club and asked for an answer on his future.

"Under those circumstances, the board made their decision not to extend the current contract."

While Parramatta chief executive Dennis Fitzgerald would not confirm yesterday whether the Eels had in fact offered Hagan a deal for 2007 and beyond, there appears little doubt the premiership-winning coach will be taking over from Smith next season.

If the move is confirmed before the start of the season, it will add plenty of spice to the season-opening clash between the Knights and the Eels at EnergyAustralia Stadium on the second weekend in March.

Hagan, who guided Queensland to consecutive State of Origin series defeats in 2004-05, was always considered the favourite for the Eels job ahead of a host of aspirants including Parramatta assistant coaches Peter Sharp and Jason Taylor.

Sharp has now emerged as a leading candidate to succeed Hagan in Newcastle, having begun his coaching career there with the Knights' lower-grade teams in the early 1990s.

Fitzgerald said the Eels wanted the position filled before the 2006 kick-off, so as to put an end to rumour mongering and to give Smith the best chance for success this season.

Hagan, too, will have the full support of the Knights board in 2006 after the injury-plagued club took its first wooden spoon last season under his charge. But Tyler yesterday admitted it was probably time for a change at the helm, with Hagan now the club's longest-serving coach.

"Six years is certainly a long time at one club in the modern era, but we hope Michael's last season in charge is as successful as his first," Tyler said, referring to Hagan's effort in guiding the Knights to an upset grand final victory over the Eels in 2001. "He will certainly receive the club's full support in endeavouring to turn around last year's results and vie for the premiership in '06."

Meanwhile, a three-month recovery awaits former Australian Test forward Bryan Fletcher after he was finally released from an English hospital following emergency surgery on a life-threatening bowel condition.

The former South Sydney skipper walked into the offices of his new club Wigan yesterday in a welcome sign that he was well on the way to recovery from his health scare.

Fletcher was released on Tuesday, more than a week after being diagnosed with a blocked bowel and having a part of his small intestine removed at Wigan Royal Infirmary.

After complaining of stomach cramps, Fletcher was rushed into surgery on New Year's Day.

■ Johnathan Thurston yesterday was named deputy to North Queensland Cowboys skipper Travis Norton. Norton retained the captaincy after steering the Cowboys to their maiden NRL grand final last year, which they lost to fellow surprise packets Wests Tigers.

In only his second season with North Queensland, Thurston, 22, replaced the incumbent vice-captain, prop Paul Rauhihi, who has left for English club Warrington.

AAP

Stagger eel

Staff member
Knights ratify Hagan's last season
By Brent Read and Peter Kogoy
January 14, 2006

MICHAEL HAGAN will be announced as Parramatta's coach-in-waiting by the end of the month after Newcastle announced yesterday this season would be his last with the club.

The Knights informed Hagan of his fate after the premiership-winning coach requested a decision on whether his present deal, which expires at the end of 2006, would be renewed.

Hagan, who confirmed he had received an offer from a rival club, is now expected to link with Parramatta in 2007.

The Eels have already told coach Brian Smith his contract would not be renewed at the end of the season.

Smith and Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald declined to comment on the latest developments yesterday.

However, Hagan - expected to be confirmed as Smith's replacement within a fortnight - conceded rumours linking him with the Eels had provided the impetus for yesterday's events.

"Speculation about the club was the catalyst and that brought about today's decision," Hagan said.

"At this stage I have not signed to coach anybody beyond 2006. I haven't agreed to coach anybody.

"I have still got a pretty good football team to coach and that hasn't changed for 2006."

Advertisement:
While not a shock, yesterday's announcement foreshadows the end of a long association between Hagan and the Knights.
A former club captain, Hagan played 111 first-grade games for the blue and reds and led them to their first finals series in 1992.

In 2000 he returned to the Knights as reserve grade coach before taking over the top job in 2001. He immediately led the club to its second title, coincidentally against the Smith-coached Parramatta.

However, Hagan was in no mood to reminisce yesterday.

"Let's get on with the nostalgia at the end of the season," Hagan said.

It remains to be seen how the next nine months pan out in rugby league-mad Newcastle, with relations between Hagan and some senior officials understood to be icy at best.

Things turned sour last year as the Knights floundered through a difficult season.

Having been hit hard by injuries, Newcastle slipped to the bottom of the table and Hagan was rebuked for criticising the Knights' facilities and finances.

The club subsequently finished the season with the wooden spoon, winning only eight games.

Hagan's former team-mate Paul Harragon, a club board member, joined football manager Steve Crowe and chief executive Ken Conway to inform the players of the decision yesterday.

Hagan also spoke to his squad and assured them there would be no drop-off in intensity.

"Hages had a chat with us and we went back to work," centre Matthew Gidley said.

"He just said the club has decided not to renew his contract.

"He's still here for 2006 and he expects everyone to keep working hard."

Several coaches have already been linked to the Knights job, including Parramatta assistant Peter Sharp, who has a strong relationship with Newcastle captain Andrew Johns.

Smith could also emerge as a candidate along with assistants Jason Taylor (Parramatta), Royce Simmons (Wests Tigers) and Shane Flanagan (Sydney Roosters).

Knights chairman Mike Tyler, who had previously ruled out turning to 1997 premiership-winning coach Malcolm Reilly, insisted Hagan would see out the season.

"Hages is a good person who I know will try his best," Tyler said yesterday.

"Michael Hagan is going to work with the full support of the board. I don't see any change in that."

Tyler also stressed Hagan had not been sacked.

"Days like today are never much fun," Tyler said.

"We told Michael that we wouldn't be extending his contract. We haven't sacked the coach. He's simply seeing out the terms of his contract. He thanked me for being up front and honest."

In other league news, Penrith coach John Lang revealed yesterday he sounded out deposed captain Craig Gower before appointing Tony Puletua as the club's new leader.

"Craig was one of the guys I spoke to about the different issues," Lang said.

"Craig is a strong guy. He doesn't carry things. He's got a good ability to put things behind him."

Dally M winner Johnathan Thurston was named vice-captain of North Queensland.

The Australian

Hurriflatch

Referee
maybe I mis-read it but how funny would that be

Brian Smith gets the coaching job at Newcastle
Michael Hagan gets the Eels job

2007 Grand Final
Parramatta
v
Newcastle

Hagan clear to coach the Eels

By JAMES PHELPS

January 14, 2006

MICHAEL Hagan's appointment as Parramatta coach for 2007 became inevitable yesterday after the Knights ruled out re-signing the former Queensland Origin coach.

Shortly after Newcastle's nine-man board announced the Knights would be parting company with Hagan at the end of next season, Eels chairman Alan Overton confirmed Hagan's possible appointment would be high on the agenda at a meeting early next week.

Hagan will see out 2006 with the Knights but the club will begin its search for a replacement immediately - with Eels assistant coach Peter Sharp an early favourite.

The Knights called an emergency board meeting yesterday to decide Hagan's fate after the 2001 premiership-winning coach confirmed he had a "firm offer" from a rival NRL club.

"The board decided Michael's contract will not be extended," said Knights CEO Ken Conway.

"Michael wanted a decision made now and that decision is that there will not be an extension of contract or a new one."

Conway confirmed Hagan had received an offer from another NRL club and said he assumed it was from Parramatta.

"Michael told me before Christmas that he had a firm offer from a rival club," he said.

"He didn't tell us the offer was from Parramatta but we would assume it was.

"I undertook to get the board together as soon as I could. He asked us to bring our decision forward so he could make a decision on his own future."

Hagan has been at odds with key Knights officials since publicly criticising the club last year. The former Bulldogs and Knights player has been linked to the Eels coaching role since the club announced long-term coach Brian Smith's contract would not be renewed.

Parramatta boss Denis Fitzgerald last night refused to comment, but Overton confirmed the Eels were talking to Hagan.

"The board will meet next week and (the Hagan issue) will be discussed," he said. "Denis has been handling it and he did meet and have a yarn but no offer was made to my knowledge."

The Knights will begin looking for a new coach almost immediately.

"We will set down some selection criteria for a new coach and start the search," said Conway.

"Our main issue is now making sure we are in a position to give Michael the support he needs this year. There has never been any question that he would be here for the rest of the year. He is a professional coach and he will seek to do the best job possible."

Hagan was last night unavailable for comment.

Parraboy

Juniors
As I've said in previous posts, this is all smokescreens by the club and pure speculation by the media.
In regards to Hagans firm offer from another club, there are few other coaching positions coming up in 07, seven I believe!
Parra have still not made a offer to hagan but have only had a informal talk (interview) as you would when there are several jockeying for the same job.
About the only sure thing in all this so far is Sharpie going to the knights.
My info is JT will get the nod ahead of Hagan. Others still in the mix are Murray, Flanagan. I've also heard both Pay and Dymocks names are in the hat. In anycase Hagan is not coming and all will be revealed from what I've heard later this week or early next.
JT will be groomed under Brian this year and will be the man in 07.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Parraboy said:
As I've said in previous posts, this is all smokescreens by the club and pure speculation by the media.
In regards to Hagans firm offer from another club, there are few other coaching positions coming up in 07, seven I believe!
Parra have still not made a offer to hagan but have only had a informal talk (interview) as you would when there are several jockeying for the same job.
My info is JT will get the nod ahead of Hagan. Others still in the mix are Murray, Flanagan. I've also heard both Pay and Dymocks names are in the hat. In anycase Hagan is not coming and all will be revealed from what I've heard later this week or early next.

god I hope you are right

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parraboy said:

not that I'm doubting you, but wow you're really putting your balls on the line here, I'm actually hearing differently but that's beside the point, I just want to make it clear that you have "scoop of the year prize" parcelled up if you get this right, if you don't??...well you may have to deal with the consequences yourself!! :lol:

goodluck, hope you pull it off. ;-)

spiderdan

Bench
i really hope you are right parraboy. hagan has shown, in my opinion, that he is an over-rated coach based on his results without andrew johns. if he does get the nod we all pretty much should give him a chance to prove himself, and i don't mean jumping on his back when he loses one game.

personally, after smith, i'd prefer someone like graham murray, shaun mcrae or tim sheens coaching us from the experienced coach list. alternatively i have no problem with jt being given a crack after serving his apprenticeship. we wont know how good he can be until he is given a go.

Avenger

Immortal
I love a good scoop. I'm with Parraboy. That is what I think will happen. Brian returning to the Saints is a new one, though.