What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If it's not a done deal....

stiffmeister

Bench
Greetings from the stiff,

This is great news. I hope that Hagan is the man. All you wingers who thinks Hagan is a dud, stop being grandmas. He is a great coach. Given the Parra facilities, he will thrive. Parraboy, enough with the inside rumour crap. No formal offer being made is crap. Hagan has been offered the Parra coaching job. Forget JT, Murray, Dymock & Pay (Although I don't mind them). I feel a done deal. Give Hages a go. He had sh*t facilities at Knights. See what he will do at Parra. Anyways, bye for now.

Macca_

Coach
I don't really have much of an opinion on whether Hagan is a good coach or not...

But there's a couple of things that seem a little unfair to be rubbishing him about...

State of origin can be won by 1 or 2 sides. Loosing 2 ain't the end of the world and it was against a very good NSW outfit...

The wooden spoon last season co-incided with Johns being out and and they have been touted as a '1 man band' for so long. Look at that squad and take out the worlds best player he didn't have much to work with. So much of it was about Johns, look at the run they made at the end of the season when he returned.

I wouldn't be writing him off on the back of the origins and the wooden spoon. There is other things that go with that bundle.

Then on the plus side, they guy has won a premiership. So many people want Smith out because he hasn't, but then a guy comes along who has and he's not wanted.

I'm prepared to give him a chance if he does become our coach...

stiffmeister

Bench
One more thing, all u JT fans, I'm not sayiong he won't be a great coach, but lets face the facts, he had the players, the ammunition to win it. A three year old could have coached the reservers to a GF win. JT learned his trade from 2 non premiership winning coaches, Smith & Louis. Hagan on the other hand has won a GF. Who gives a rats a*rse that wok, bla, bla set the team up to win it.Fact, Hagan was the coach. He had limited resources & won the GF against Parra with the best facilities. Grannies, stop crying, drink your warm milk. Soon you will be on the Hagan bandwagon when he coaches us to a premiership & I will remind you of your comments. Good bye for now

strider

Post Whore
hagan inherited a GF winning team built by his predecessor - yeah he still had to help em over the line, so he must certainly have some ability..... I'm not sure if a hagan setup a decent professional system up there.

newcastle went bad last yr cos johns missed most the season, kennedy and tahu left and buderus and simpson (and maybe to a lesser extent the gidleys and perry) missed a fair few games too ..... when johns returned they went on a tear .... that basically says newcastle is all about johns and a few helper players .... which to me says hagan is not necessarily an impact there - but he obviously got along well with the players which is good

So I don't know if hagan is good or bad as a coach - I certainly don't think he sucks.

BUT my biggest concern with Hagan is how Newcastle have handled their playing roster ..... I think it has been shocking - far worse than any sh*t thrown as Brian Smith.... and if that was Hagan's fault then he is very poor in that department ..... maybe its alot to do with Andrew Johns holding the team to randsom wanting the big $$$s despite his career drawing to an end and injuries - but Newcastle are soooooo lacking in depth that they can't handle it when 1 or 2 players go down - seriously, Johns and Buderus eat up at least 1/3 of their cap and they have little else to show for the $$$s .....

Parra has been a club championship side for years - depth is outstanding - we haven't won a GF because I don't think we have the killer players .... maybe thats a trade off - top stars vs depth???? and maybe top stars are gonna take us over the edge???

Anyway - having said that, if he is picked as our coach then I'll back him all the way - unless he sacks Hindy, in which case his life won't be worth living :D

Parraboy

Juniors
Hey Stiffy! Chillax mate.
I don't have anything against Hagan! I am merely informing the forum of what I've been told, isn't that what a forum is about? give info and discuss!
Mate, Hages has not been given a formal offer! Fitzy announced this yesterday when the knights announced they wouldn't resign hages!
I'm not really worried who coaches, we have a team as you put it "a 3 year old could coach to a GF". They will do well in 06 under Brian and they will do well in 07 under whoever!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Avenger said:
Eela, Sterling is a good politician. What he says does not always mean what he thinks.

reading between the lines and from what I've heard there may of been some interaction between the board and Peter Sterling where he endorsed Hagan to the tilt.

Stagger eel

Staff member
El Diablo said:
did he rate Cronin?

not sure, why don't you ask him?..As much as I loved Mick, I didn't think he was much chop as a coach, then again he didn't really have the cattle did he?

Stagger eel

Staff member
stiff-meister eel said:
Greetings from the stiff,

This is great news. I hope that Hagan is the man. All you wingers who thinks Hagan is a dud, stop being grandmas. He is a great coach. Given the Parra facilities, he will thrive. Parraboy, enough with the inside rumour crap. No formal offer being made is crap. Hagan has been offered the Parra coaching job. Forget JT, Murray, Dymock & Pay (Although I don't mind them). I feel a done deal. Give Hages a go. He had sh*t facilities at Knights. See what he will do at Parra. Anyways, bye for now.

mate, I agree with just about everything you say except for 1 thing, you, I or anyone shouldn't question Parraboy's source until atleast something susbstantial is confirmed, for all we know he could well be on the money, despite what I've heard.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parraboy said:
Hey Stiffy! Chillax mate.
I don't have anything against Hagan! I am merely informing the forum of what I've been told, isn't that what a forum is about? give info and discuss!

yes it is and we appreciate your contribution always makes for interesting discussions.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
not sure, why don't you ask him?..As much as I loved Mick, I didn't think he was much chop as a coach, then again he didn't really have the cattle did he?

talk to the guys who played under mick when he was country coach and they'll tell he he could coach. nobody could have done anything with the sides the crow had

Sterling

Juniors
stiff-meister eel said:
One more thing, all u JT fans, I'm not sayiong he won't be a great coach, but lets face the facts, he had the players, the ammunition to win it. A three year old could have coached the reservers to a GF win.

same can be said for Hagans 2001 victory ......

Hurriflatch

Referee
There was a comment regarding the Knights recruitment while Hagan has been in charge while he does have a say in things he doesn't have as much influence as Smithy does at Parramatta, also the fact that Buderus and Johns take up about a 3rd of the Knights cap by themselves doesn't help.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Is this a first............. the coach of the wooden spooners taking over from the coach of the minor premiers?

Surely there's got to be someone better than poor old Hages?????