What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

Gareth67

First Grade
I've been a pretty big supporter of Madge. I was of the belief that he'd be the one able to get rid of our soft underbelly. I knew it wouldn't happen overnight, it was going to be a long slog to correct season after season of mediocrity.
While I think he's made some good decisions bringing in younger players & not doing an Ivan & signing players for a quick sugar fix that will only hurt the club in the long run. I think today was the end of the line.
We've gone backwards this season in all facets of the game. Defence is diabolical, attack is non existent. It's pretty obvious we can't recruit any player of substance to help us get out of this mess & guide our promising younger players.

Today was the end of the line. Unfortunately I can't see anything changing under Madge's tenure. He will leave the club in a better recruitment position then he took over.

So if we flick Madge, who do we bring in. Available coaches I can think of off the top of my heard are:
Ciraldo
Flanagan
Hannay
Bennett
Green
Mary
Pay
The only two I'd even contemplate signing would be Bennett or Ciraldo. Bennet would obviously help bring in experienced marquee players we desperately need. Ciraldo is a risk but has wraps on him. However we all know wraps on an assistant coach mean Jack shit.

So basically I come to the conclusion that it has to be Bennett. He's adamant that he's going back to Brisbane, but if we put a 3 year contract in front of him he'd probably sign. Otherwise he's hoping a new club gets introduced. I can't see that happening before the 2024 season.

I don't really know much except that I'm f**king disappointed. This season has been a massive downer & we have nothing to be excited about next season. If nothing changes I think we'll be on spoon contention next year.

I can give you and all Tigers fans my personal recommendation of candidate No.6 - Mary . The man got the Dragons ‘ only 85 minutes away from a grand final berth ‘ back in 2018 !

And that’s pretty damn good in anyone’s book . 😶

General Stripes

Juniors
The guy that loathes the club is open to coaching it

Now about Sheens and Bennett.
People seem to forget that Sheens imploded the club on the way out.
Getting rid of a ton of finals calibre fan favourite players to get a second rower that did jack.
Bennett didn’t leave Newcastle exactly well placed and the Saints have been a car crash since he left.
There is no one who would want to come here that will be any better than Madge.
Our players, for the most part, are lazy. Hense why they are against a coach that is all about hard work.
People honestly think old time coaches like Sheens and Bennett (who are just as much about hard work) will get these lazy sods moving?

Tigerm

First Grade
The guy that loathes the club is open to coaching it

Now about Sheens and Bennett.
People seem to forget that Sheens imploded the club on the way out.
Getting rid of a ton of finals calibre fan favourite players to get a second rower that did jack.
Bennett didn’t leave Newcastle exactly well placed and the Saints have been a car crash since he left.
There is no one who would want to come here that will be any better than Madge.
Our players, for the most part, are lazy. Hense why they are against a coach that is all about hard work.
People honestly think old time coaches like Sheens and Bennett (who are just as much about hard work) will get these lazy sods moving?
I'm not tweeter, what was he banging on about, that the doesn't put effort into?

Interesting way to get an interview?

BrotherJim05

Bench
FMD it's Bennett or Flanagan. We need someone proven to be able to attract top quality players. We have everything in place for success - the $75 million COE, pathways being built in South-West region, 1.6 million in the salary cap (with likely more to be freed up as players try to bail). All we need now is a coach who the players want to play for and can attract marquee players to mix in with the up and coming young guns like Stefano, Laurie etc.

Bennett would obviously be first choice, but look at his time at the Knights. He walked into a shit roster and wasn't able to turn things around. Flanagan on the other hand walked into a shit roster at Sharks and managed to basically buy a premiership winning team. If you ask former players, they swear by Flanagan that he's a great coach to play under....you won't hear the same thing about Paul Green. I know Ciraldo seems to be the next up and comer but he is completely unproven as a Head Coach so it's too much risk.

This scenario is only if it is untenable to persist with Madge, but I think it has to be Flanagan.

gordsy

Juniors
Wolf is doing great things in ESL he would be a fool to wreck his career to come coach us.
As for Madge chances are he will be the sacrifical lamb. We can't get rid of a lot of players as we can't sign anyone and Pascoe and Lee the headline grabbing dope won't sack themselves....

The Rosco

Bench
I can give you and all Tigers fans my personal recommendation of candidate No.6 - Mary . The man got the Dragons ‘ only 85 minutes away from a grand final berth ‘ back in 2018 !

And that’s pretty damn good in anyone’s book . 😶
Hey there Gareth, thanks for the tip mate.
But it's not just the coach, we need to sort out the front office.
Can you do a twofer with that Doust chap ?

simmo1

First Grade
Imagine Fittler coming here with his "just let them play footy" coaching. The pack could be Uto plus 8 backrowers. He could even give our Tommy T a licence to pop up either side of the field to miss a tackle.

Vozzy

Juniors
Fittler had the Roosters in the bottom 3. The club has only had success when he left. We made a big mistake signing Madge to an extension before seeing results go backwards. This is the main reason it's hard to change right now. I've heard that Bennett has always liked the tigers so maybe for the right money. Maybe Madge has the right vision but not the right execution. It's kind of like Madge and Sheens should swap roles until a younger coach is groomed.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Fittler had the Roosters in the bottom 3. The club has only had success when he left. We made a big mistake signing Madge to an extension before seeing results go backwards. This is the main reason it's hard to change right now. I've heard that Bennett has always liked the tigers so maybe for the right money. Maybe Madge has the right vision but not the right execution. It's kind of like Madge and Sheens should swap roles until a younger coach is groomed.
Pretty spot on there I reckon- Madge has the right vision but not the right execution. The pathway he and club have set up can be continued, with new coach undertaking to continue the way, but unfortunately I just cant see Maguire surviving. For the plan of his and WT to mature their youngun's with a levy of key experienced players just hasnt been possible - his recruitment ability / charisma just isnt there. JAC nope, DWZ nope, Lomax nope, TPJ nope. He cannot attract the experienced core WT needs to guide the others along. That is the be all and end all of WT getting through this. In addition his use of the interchange, tactics, team selections and in the end coaching results in being able to get the best out of the players he has got has not been displayed too well.

I suspect last year we were getting the story he cant recruit because of the bad contracts and players taking up spots, this season when it wasnt so bad and getting better, he still couldnt recruit the experience core of players with xx numbers of NRL games under their belt. We agreed with last years story, certainly agreeing with the vision and the plan, and gave extension, unfortunately, this years results both on field and recruitment wise have just blown this to bits. If his contract extension does include the get out clauses that Ive heard, I think we have to make the decision and show him the door, with much regret, but this is a results professional sport. Again, I use the analogy what would Roosters / Storm do? Their ruthlessness in decision making bears results.

gordsy

Juniors
Madge may not have lasted at the chooks but little man Lee and Pascoe would have been knifed in the dark as well. They would be told leave or stories will be leaked about you.

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I've been a pretty big supporter of Madge. I was of the belief that he'd be the one able to get rid of our soft underbelly. I knew it wouldn't happen overnight, it was going to be a long slog to correct season after season of mediocrity.
While I think he's made some good decisions bringing in younger players & not doing an Ivan & signing players for a quick sugar fix that will only hurt the club in the long run. I think today was the end of the line.
We've gone backwards this season in all facets of the game. Defence is diabolical, attack is non existent. It's pretty obvious we can't recruit any player of substance to help us get out of this mess & guide our promising younger players.

Today was the end of the line. Unfortunately I can't see anything changing under Madge's tenure. He will leave the club in a better recruitment position then he took over.

So if we flick Madge, who do we bring in. Available coaches I can think of off the top of my heard are:
Ciraldo
Flanagan
Hannay
Bennett
Green
Mary
Pay
The only two I'd even contemplate signing would be Bennett or Ciraldo. Bennet would obviously help bring in experienced marquee players we desperately need. Ciraldo is a risk but has wraps on him. However we all know wraps on an assistant coach mean Jack shit.

So basically I come to the conclusion that it has to be Bennett. He's adamant that he's going back to Brisbane, but if we put a 3 year contract in front of him he'd probably sign. Otherwise he's hoping a new club gets introduced. I can't see that happening before the 2024 season.

I don't really know much except that I'm f**king disappointed. This season has been a massive downer & we have nothing to be excited about next season. If nothing changes I think we'll be on spoon contention next year.
There is so much truth in this post. I strongly believe even a rookie coach with fresh ideas would be a better choice than Madge.

The club must be talking to someone behind the scenes this week given last week's flurry of WT media articles have slowed to nothing.

My thinking in regards to Bennett is this - in the unlikely event that he did consider coaching the club would he want to work with the likes of Sheens (there's probably only room for one old bloke) and to a less extent Pascoe (taking him to recruitment meetings with players and their managers is clearly not helping us pull players)???

In other words - front office would need a huge overhaul if Bennett even considered WT in 2022.