What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If they move Lockyer to fullback...

salivor

First Grade
Bobby DIGital said:
LOL @ your sensitivity.

I know there were 7 Broncos in origin 1....I also know QLD lost.

Broncos who should be left out:

Hunt - Laughable suggestion. Will probably get knocked out in origin too. Inglis is 5 times the player Hunt will ever be...and he's only played about 15 games.

Tate - Has never really showed anything at oirign level before.

Lockyer - Average 5/8th at best. I highly doubt QLD will ever win a series with him in the halves.

Berrigan - He's also never done anything special at origin level. provides a bit of utility but that's about it.

Caroll - Bah...borderline I guess. Can pull off the odd big hit, but I still wouldn't choose him. Obviously Lockyer needs Tonie to protect him though LOL

I'm all for Thaiday, Civonicieva & Parker...but i'd have Parker on the bench.

LOL @ your lack of football knowledge.

Hunt - Have you actually seen him play this year? He's been in career best form and you can make jokes about being knocked out but despite all the Kiwis threw at him he kept getting back up, in the end it took an illegal shoulder to the head to get him off the ground. This is a bloke that in 3 years of first grade has only missed about 3 games, his toughness can't be questioned. The main reason I have him in the side is that he has a great combination going with Lockyer.

Tate - Again bullsh*t, Tate has been a proven performer at rep level, particuarly for Australia. He was unfortunately thrown in the deep end in game 1 with not enough game time. He showed for the Broncos on the weekend through just how good he can be. With another couple of games under his belt going into game 2 he has to be there are he is one of the best outside backs in the game at his peak.

Lockyer - Thurston and Prince have looked average at Origin level, given a decent forward performance and some actual support from Hunt (as Thurston seems incapable of this at this stage in his career) he'll go well.

Berrigan - Was in shocking form in the back end of last year but has come into some great form since being moved to hooker against Manly and even turned it on when put back to centre on the weekend. I'm not too fussed on him being in the side but we need a genuine utility on the bench or at least someone who can play hooker which Bowen can't. Payne would be my preferred option.

Carroll - Proven performer at Origin level. Johnson was monstered in game 1, Harrison and Stagg that can also play lock aren't too much bigger and Crocker is still suspended. Carroll will fill the role of a hard running hard hitting backrower that we lacked in Game 1. As for Lockyer's defence, once again showing your lack of footy knowledge or just lack of games seen of late. Lockyer's defence was outstanding in Game 1, his one saving grace. Again on the weekend and of late he's really tightened his defence to where he's definetly no weak link like he has been in previous years.

lockyno1

Post Whore
salivor said:
LOL @ your lack of football knowledge.

Hunt - Have you actually seen him play this year? He's been in career best form and you can make jokes about being knocked out but despite all the Kiwis threw at him he kept getting back up, in the end it took an eligible shoulder to the head to get him off the ground. This is a bloke that in 3 years of first grade has only missed about 3 games, his toughness can't be questioned. The main reason I have him in the side is that he has a great combination going with Lockyer.

Tate - Again bullsh*t, Tate has been a proven performer at rep level, particuarly for Australia. He was unfortunately thrown in the deep end in game 1 with not enough game time. He showed for the Broncos on the weekend through just how good he can be. With another couple of games under his belt going into game 2 he has to be there are he is one of the best outside backs in the game at his peak.

Lockyer - Thurston and Prince have looked average at Origin level, given a decent forward performance and some actual support from Hunt (as Thurston seems incapable of this at this stage in his career) he'll go well.

Berrigan - Was in shocking form in the back end of last year but has come into some great form since being moved to hooker against the Knights and even turned it on when put back to centre on the weekend. I'm not too fussed on him being in the side but we need a genuine utility on the bench or at least someone who can play hooker which Bowen can't. Payne would be my preferred option.

Carroll - Proven performer at Origin level. Johnson was monstered in game 1, Harrison and Stagg that can also play lock aren't too much bigger and Crocker is still suspended. Carroll will fill the role of a hard running hard hitting backrower that we lacked in Game 1. As for Lockyer's defence, once again showing your lack of footy knowledge or just lack of games seen of late. Lockyer's defence was outstanding in Game 1, his one saving grace. Again on the weekend and of late he's really tightened his defence to where he's definetly no weak link like he has been in previous years.

Well said. Every one of those I agree with.

icewind

Juniors
exactly. if lockyer doesn't want to go to fullback then i think a

1. Hunt
6. Lockyer
7. Prince

combination wouldn't go astray. That being said, im not averse to Shifcofske havin a shot either.

nqboy

First Grade
We do have a problem to consider at FB but it's tinkering on the edges. Unless our forwards can stand up and stop the Blues rampage, it won't matter who we pick at FB.

wally80

Juniors
All this talk about having Hunt in there for his combination with Lockyer - what about the combination that Bowen has with Thurston?

icewind

Juniors
salivor said:
Carroll - Proven performer at Origin level. Johnson was monstered in game 1, Harrison and Stagg that can also play lock aren't too much bigger and Crocker is still suspended.

harrison 189cm, 96kg small? one of the better defenders around. plays 80mins, great defensive work and has some ball skills to boot.

Personally, i would have:

Parker
Carroll
Harrison

as my back row. parker and harrison play 80mins and have size on their side as opposed to stagg, scott and johnson.

Parker is only 24, Harrison is only 25, so carroll is the only older player there, wit Thaiday, Myles and possibly Shillington on the bench, they can still say theyre looking at the future, just wit a sprinkling of experience.

wally80

Juniors
At club level it has - just about as well as Lockyer and Hunt.

Bowen will be there somewhere for SOO2 - either at fullback or off the bench. Either way he is capable of coming up with some brilliant plays that can turn matches.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
wally80 said:
At club level it has - just about as well as Lockyer and Hunt.

Bowen will be there somewhere for SOO2 - either at fullback or off the bench. Either way he is capable of coming up with some brilliant plays that can turn matches.

U just cant leave a player like bowen out of the side, u just cant

icewind said:
hmmm bowens combo with thurston has really gelled so far hasn't it?
Still trying to blame Bowen when any one with an IQ above that of a house plant knows if your forwards are getting smashed then there is very little the backs can do.
I'm sure Hunt's combination with Locky would have been a real winner in game 1 seeing as locky had a shocker & threw some hospital passes.

lockyno1

Post Whore
dazza62 said:
Still trying to blame Bowen when any one with an IQ above that of a house plant knows if your forwards are getting smashed then there is very little the backs can do.
I'm sure Hunt's combination with Locky would have been a real winner in game 1 seeing as locky had a shocker & threw some hospital passes.

Well bowen has a week to show the selectors that he "attempts" to catch every ball ratehr than letting the damn thing bounce! Plus he needs to run the ball back not chicken out and pass to the wingers all the time! Hunt should be fullback if Bowen fails at doing this!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
bowen's had a few goes, bring in hunt. i'm a fan of bowen but in these big games he doesnt seem to step up and have the imapact he's capable of. and before people go on abotu bwoens tryscoring record a lot oft hose tries came in the abckened of matches when bowen came off the bench and qld were dominating

havent watched much of the rooters, but i've heard harrison has been less than ordinary.

after performances agiant the bulldogs. carrol and parker have to be in there

lockyno1

Post Whore
Pierced Soul said:
bowen's had a few goes, bring in hunt. i'm a fan of bowen but in these big games he doesnt seem to step up and have the imapact he's capable of. and before people go on abotu bwoens tryscoring record a lot oft hose tries came in the abckened of matches when bowen came off the bench and qld were dominating

havent watched much of the rooters, but i've heard harrison has been less than ordinary.

after performances agiant the bulldogs. carrol and parker have to be in there

Agreed, but Harrison has played very well the last month. It adds another offloading option. Johnson is too defensive to be a 2nd rower really. He basically has no offload in him. Harrison has more to him than Johnson who as good as he is is a defesive lock thats all.

icewind

Juniors
and harrison is a good defender.... hes got 9cm on johnson, offloads better, makes 30+ tackles a game, playmakes and plays 80 minutes. and will lift for origin if picked.

salivor

First Grade
96kg? He doesn't really look it. I'll take it back, he's got the size to handle it but whether he's as intimidating as the backrowers that I'd go for in Webb, Parker and Carroll I don't know. If we're going to find a place for him then I'd put him over Flannery on my bench. I think we need to make a real statement in game 2 in the opening stages, we can't afford to start as flat as game 1.

lockyno1 said:
Until Bowen can attempt to catch every kick and run the ball back at the defence most times I do not want him in QLD's side EVER AGAIN, especially not starting no1!

After watching todays game against the warriors then according to you hunt should not be selected for QLD. I saw him let a couple of balls bounce & twice in 5 mins he passed to the winger instead of running it back himself.

Overall he had an allright game ,nothing flash, but done little wrong.. but if you are going to crucify Bowen for doing things in games ,then hunt has to be crucified too .... Or is it just double standards with you ?

lockyno1

Post Whore
dazza62 said:
After watching todays game against the warriors then according to you hunt should not be selected for QLD. I saw him let a couple of balls bounce & twice in 5 mins he passed to the winger instead of running it back himself.

Overall he had an allright game ,nothing flash, but done little wrong.. but if you are going to crucify Bowen for doing things in games ,then hunt has to be crucified too .... Or is it just double standards with you ?

Not at all and hunt had a poor game. But I am more confident with Hunt/Ingliss/Lockyer at the back for QLD than Bowen. Bowen lets balls bounce more often and is found out of position more often. With Eastwood going great he was always going to pass it to him a few times. Its common sense. But hunt did not have his best game today. However he is on 11 Dally M points and he has been consistent all year. He deserved the Australian no1, and now deserves a crack at the qld no1.

so it's common sense when Hunt does it ,But if Bowen does it then he is doing something different..
You are a f**kwit.. go back & watch your AFL

lockyno1

Post Whore
dazza62 said:
so it's common sense when Hunt does it ,But if Bowen does it then he is doing something different..
You are a f**kwit.. go back & watch your AFL

What? I said that Hunt did it a bit in todays game when the wingers were making heaps of metres especially Tupou and Eastwood. In Origin 1, Bowen did it whilst the wingers for the most part were getting smashed! Perhaps he could have woken up to this and run the ball back himself in Origin. Hunt, bag him all you want is rarely caught out of position and came up with the match try saver today! More than Bowen did in Origin 1.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Bowen will be most effective off the bench with Hunt at fullback. Move Berrigan into the centres with Inglis and have Tate and Bell on the wings. Inglis should defend on the wing though to give us some height against King when jumping for bombs.

Latest posts