What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you were Hasler

gong_eagle

First Grade
I know this thread will get a lot of smartass answers but put yourself in Des Haslers shoes for the week
What team changes would you make and how would you go about a game plan for them for this weeks game against the eels

Ok let rip :lol:

Dutchy

Immortal
1 - Stewart
2 - Bani
3 - Matai
4 - Lyon
5 - Robertson
6 - Halden
7 - Orford
8 - King
9 - Lestrange
10 - Perry
11 - Kite
12 - Stewart
13 - Williamson

14 - Glenn Hall
15 - Cuthbertson
16 - Vic Mauro
17 - Ballin

Watmough injured.
Bell - Goone.
Bryant - Goone.

Dutchy

Immortal
Kite has been playing a bit of 2nd Row. When Perry has started.

Also. Warea-Hergreaves and Jason Wells would be the extended bench for mine.

Downie

Guest Moderator
I think Halden is injured as well and from what I've heard Mauro hasn't been in the form that got him into the team at the end of last year, though he's a great ball runner which is what we need at the moment.

Dutchy

Immortal
I think Halden is injured as well and from what I've heard Mauro hasn't been in the form that got him into the team at the end of last year, though he's a great ball runner which is what we need at the moment.

Jeff Robson for F/E then

t-ba

Post Whore
Hasler will blame this loss on our lack of creativity at 5/8.

Expect Fatso to make a return to the number 6.

Ryan

Juniors
If I were Des, I'd get some video footage of Craig Bellamy, and his ruthless attitude toward coaching. I recall times in 06 & 07 when Jake Webster, Scott Hill, Cooper Cronk & Billy Slater all spent time in Premier League.
Now look at Des Hasler. Would he dump Steve Bell, Matt Orford, Luke Williamson and other players that aren't pulling their weight? The answer is no.
There are little things Des needs to address. Examples:-
At the season launch, all the captains were asked who was going to win the premiership. All answered themselves. Matt Orford suggested Melbourne would win.
Pre-season trial, Cooper Cronk comes out and says regarding the trial that every match he would go out and bust his butt to win the game. Orford suggests it's only a trial, and means nothing - we were thumped by near 50. Orford MAY be right, but again - it's his attitude.
To be really honest, and if at all possible, I'd start to look at possible trades. I would possible even go with something like Willow / Bell for Moltzen from The Tigers. I'd be telling Willow & Bell they are on limited time anyway. They may think it's in their best interests?
I'd then be sitting Matt Orford down for a really serious chat. He needs to evaluate his game and get serious. He's complaining about missing out on an Origin jumper, but he's not even up to NRL standard at the moment.

We are losing games consistently. Why not try a few new things? Something like:-

01. Michael Bani
02. Michael Robertson
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steve Matai
05. Steven Bell
06. Brett Stewart (It worked for Lockyer)
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Heath Le'Strange
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Matt Ballin (to kick him up the butt)
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Josh Perry
17. Jarred Wearra-Hargreaves

We lack creativity. I see getting Bani more involved only as a good thing. Same as Stewart. In actuality, I'd almost have Neumann on Bells wing, and Bell in Premier League.

I'd also get some players like Krillich, Fulton, Fatty and co. to brief the players on tradition, heart and passion for our brand.

If I were Des, I's get on the phone to Craig Bellamy (be humble about it), and ask for some best practices.

I'd call in my recruitment team, and ask them why we haven't had a 5/8 at our club since Andrew Walker left.

I'd actually get on the phone to Andrew Johns, and get him to spend more time with our 1/2's.

I'd get on the phone to the UK & Trent Barrett, and see if he could get an immediate release. I'd get on the phone to Canberra, and see if Carney has an out clause regarding Henry.

Anyway - these are the types of things I would be doing. In REALITY, what we will see, is Willow with the number 6 on, Beaver playing there, with Willow really playing Lock making his usual 15-20 metres a game, and us lacking creativity in the 1/2's.

No one will be held accountable, so we can expect similar results going forward. 2 from 5 is exactly where we should be at the moment. It basically is a reflection in my opinion of where Des is as a coach - our biggest problem is attitude. That's a coach thing.

We also haven't won in our new away jerseys yet right?

icewind

Juniors

It also took a good couple of seasons for Lockyer to get used to the role, and he was a natural playmaker at the back. Brett Stewart is just a runner. moot comparison.

gong_eagle

First Grade
If I were Des, I'd get some video footage of Craig Bellamy, and his ruthless attitude toward coaching. I recall times in 06 & 07 when Jake Webster, Scott Hill, Cooper Cronk & Billy Slater all spent time in Premier League.
Now look at Des Hasler. Would he dump Steve Bell, Matt Orford, Luke Williamson and other players that aren't pulling their weight? The answer is no.
There are little things Des needs to address. Examples:-
At the season launch, all the captains were asked who was going to win the premiership. All answered themselves. Matt Orford suggested Melbourne would win.
Pre-season trial, Cooper Cronk comes out and says regarding the trial that every match he would go out and bust his butt to win the game. Orford suggests it's only a trial, and means nothing - we were thumped by near 50. Orford MAY be right, but again - it's his attitude.
To be really honest, and if at all possible, I'd start to look at possible trades. I would possible even go with something like Willow / Bell for Moltzen from The Tigers. I'd be telling Willow & Bell they are on limited time anyway. They may think it's in their best interests?
I'd then be sitting Matt Orford down for a really serious chat. He needs to evaluate his game and get serious. He's complaining about missing out on an Origin jumper, but he's not even up to NRL standard at the moment.

We are losing games consistently. Why not try a few new things? Something like:-

01. Michael Bani
02. Michael Robertson
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steve Matai
05. Steven Bell
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Heath Le'Strange
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Matt Ballin (to kick him up the butt)
15. Adam Cuthbertson
16. Josh Perry
17. Jarred Wearra-Hargreaves

We lack creativity. I see getting Bani more involved only as a good thing. Same as Stewart. In actuality, I'd almost have Neumann on Bells wing, and Bell in Premier League.

I'd also get some players like Krillich, Fulton, Fatty and co. to brief the players on tradition, heart and passion for our brand.

If I were Des, I's get on the phone to Craig Bellamy (be humble about it), and ask for some best practices.

I'd call in my recruitment team, and ask them why we haven't had a 5/8 at our club since Andrew Walker left.

I'd actually get on the phone to Andrew Johns, and get him to spend more time with our 1/2's.

I'd get on the phone to the UK & Trent Barrett, and see if he could get an immediate release. I'd get on the phone to Canberra, and see if Carney has an out clause regarding Henry.

Anyway - these are the types of things I would be doing. In REALITY, what we will see, is Willow with the number 6 on, Beaver playing there, with Willow really playing Lock making his usual 15-20 metres a game, and us lacking creativity in the 1/2's.

No one will be held accountable, so we can expect similar results going forward. 2 from 5 is exactly where we should be at the moment. It basically is a reflection in my opinion of where Des is as a coach - our biggest problem is attitude. That's a coach thing.

We also haven't won in our new away jerseys yet right?

Stewie at 5/8, maybe not yet and I don't think Bani is ready for Fullback yet either

lot of thought put in there Ryan, I reckon you should put this post on MSE, Maybe the powers that be there will read it

mick13

Juniors
How has JWH been playing in the U20's?

Jared's been going awesome in the 20's. they're not a great side, but if he wasn't playing the losing score-lines would have been a lot worse. Dessie's been playing him for 80 mins every week in front-row and back-row teaching him how to play in the middle and on the edge. i know they (dessie & co) have huge wraps on the kid, and after watching him play for a couple of weeks, i know why. he's apparently 114kg and he's got good feet and speed, he'll play NRL before the years out i reckon.

Briza

Juniors
With Watmough out

Game plan? Spill as much blood as possible

1. Stewart
2. Robertson
3. Mattai
4. Lyon
5. Bani

6. LeStrange
7. Orford

8. King