What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm doing a Sonny Bill! (and how the nrl tried to make its own world and hide)

Thats right. And please dont think I'm a troll.

I am doing a Sonny Bill Williams on yer asses. I have been for a while.

I just don't believe that what League stands for anymore is a good thing. And I am not talking about the business side specifically. Its the philosophy behind the game now. Its a bad one.

The nrl has tried to create its own little world. But its failed to realize these past 10 years that it functions in the real world.

I dont agree with the game anymore. There are people within the NRL who think it is somehow special and that precludes it to have special things. Like a small salary cap, clubs that are poor but that should still be allowed to exist and "prosper", some people believe it should only be an east coast game, and other believe it should be sacrosanct from outside influences. (I know most of us on here see that the game has lots of probs). Many people think league has this inborn right to be no.1 and that this will automatically happen because people will see the 'on field' action!

But thats the thing: guess what...the game is not like that...and it functions in the real world.

In the real and wider world, various clubs can throw millions of dollars at players. The nrl can't. In the wider world clubs can turn a substantial profit...most clubs in the nrl can't. In the wider world most clubs are not having a constant cloud hanging over their future.

The NRL tried and tried as it might to make the nrl its own little planet, but that veil is fast fading away.

We exist in a greater sporting community, and its time for us to come out of the valley and stand shoulder to shoulder on the hill with the rest of them.

If RL is to prosper - properly - it needs a great directional shift, or there will be more Sonny Bills happening....may it be mid contract, or end contract

Instead of hiding, it must come out into the light or it will be swollowed eventually.

Some things that must change.

1 Salary cap.
2. Third party payments.
3. Clubs ability to make money.
4. A greater share of the pie for players...nrl is currently lowest in oz.

2 other things.

- 10 years of creating a fake economy in rugby league with severe salary cap restricitons has taken its toll.

- 100 years of rugby league clubs having poor finances, has taken its toll.

Free rugby league by freeing the clubs and giving them financial independence. You'll save the game. Because other sports truly are knocking down the door.

::: You'll need a better spread of teams....less in Sydney and more nationwide.

You'll need the toyota cup to become something big.

You will need better stadia for sydney teams especially (exclude broncos, storm, canberra, newcastle, titans.

You will need large numbers of members.

You will need new leaders.

A new administration structure.

You will need to be on your way on these things immediately, and have made significant progress within 5 years. In terms of spread of clubs, this can be spread out to 15 years max that the last sydney club to move has done so. How many? No more than 4 left.

Or league is gone. Bigger fish will come along and swollow it.

And its worth saying at this point that the NRL HAD to go into its own little world and stay still or go backwards because league was screwing itself well before SL in Australia. So league has alwasy hit itself, but now its time to get it right once and for all.

So do be flexible in the future of rl clubs.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
my heart bleeds for all those poorly paid players who will earn more in their 10 year playing career than 80% of people who are paying their salaries will earn in lifetime!

Ram Man

Juniors
So you also are going to pi$$ on the people who made you the star you are today (fans), whinge and come up with f**king ridiculous excuses like "My coach didint like my mates" and betray your team mates and flee in the middle of the night to hide in the French Riverira and then challenge all those people who call you are coward to say it to your face even though you are on the other side of the world and no-one can find you?

*takes a breath*

my heart bleeds for all those poorly paid players who will earn more in their 10 year playing career than 80% of people who are paying their salaries will earn in lifetime!

Thats not the issue.

And my heart bleeds for all the general managers of non banks, who only get 250K a year. Thats so sad!!!!

But listen. What you need to look at is the greater market place for sports stars....thats what league is up against..

every one thinks league is up against just itself, what with clubs battling their finances and each other so to speak.

the game is really in a battle with other sports, and you have to be able to pay you players competitively.

Or they will go. And kids will see the new pecking order and leave acordingly. Numbers will decrease in the late teens, when they are more serious and looking at careers.

voltron

Juniors
wtheck do u mean you're doing a sonny bill?
being a dog?
wateva

you bring up some points, but no ideas on how do bring them about
we know that these are problems to be addressed
but some of those things are in place to protect the league, not cripple it

but a 5 year and then a 15 year plan would be nice
it seems too random

So you also are going to pi$$ on the people who made you the star you are today (fans), whinge and come up with f**king ridiculous excuses like "My coach didint like my mates" and betray your team mates and flee in the middle of the night to hide in the French Riverira and then challenge all those people who call you are coward to say it to your face even though you are on the other side of the world and no-one can find you?

*takes a breath*

Thats pretty silly to air these sentiments. The guy is angry on some levels too.

But thats HIS relationship, not yours, so it matters not what you think.

Plus, you must remember he is in the mundine camp and he is trying something different. You call it a whinge, I call it frustration.

And frustration is a brains search for answers, but in this case, he never found an answer until he left.

In some respects, with the mindset of someone who is earning 2M, but could rightly earn 4M....the club is P!$$ing on him!!

Depends how you think, and neither way is wrong.

Its a wide world we live in, many opinions and ideals, not just to be judged solely by you.

:) peace

The Colonel

Immortal
Thats pretty silly to air these sentiments. The guy is angry on some levels too.

Plus, you must remember he is in the mundine camp and he is trying something different. You call it a whinge, I call it frustration.

And frustration is a brains search for answers, but in this case, he never found an answer until he left.

In some respects, with the mindset of someone who is earning 2M, but could rightly earn 4M....the club is P!$$ing on him!!

Its a wide world we live in, many opinions and ideals, not just to be judged solely by you.

Weren't you leaving?

wtheck do u mean you're doing a sonny bill?
being a dog?
wateva

you bring up some points, but no ideas on how do bring them about
we know that these are problems to be addressed
but some of those things are in place to protect the league, not cripple it

but a 5 year and then a 15 year plan would be nice
it seems too random

I agree with you.

The nrl is currently working on a short term (5 year?) plan, and long term plan for the game

Immediately for mine would to to give players a greater % of the pie. League sits at something like 20%? Other sports are up to 35-40%. League used to be 50%, and that is fair IMHO, because players are your greatest assets....they make up clubs, who are the next greatest asset you have.

Third party payments to be introduced at greater levels across the board. So what I mean is, clubs should be allowed to arrange 3rd party payments to the value of say perhaps 2 million per club. Not this bulldust 50k a player.

We want league to be LUCRATIVE!!! Who cares if it creates an uneven surface between clubs....poor clubs need to be richer, and this will help them move in that direction. Why should brisbane suffer because say, manly have no idea how to do business (purely a non true example).

15 year plan might be eventual teams in perth and one more in NZ. And the build up to that. A multi channel tv deal. (ofcourse this requires the convincing of the news ltd/pacific media/whoever to let their grip on league go slightly) which might tie in with the exit of news from the game).

Ram Man

Juniors

I gave my opinion on what SBW has done.
I havent judged, I have taken the fact of what he did, and what he said last night to justify his actions and formed an opinion.

I beleive he pi$$ed on the fans by leaving in the middle of the season.
I dont care if he is frustrated.
Most MEN confront their frustrations and try and go about a way of solving the problem rather than fleeing to France and then sit in a staged interview and bleat that he has balls to walk out on team mates and fans and a legal contract for the sake of a misunderstanding with his coach and for more cash.

I dont blame him for the cash part, but he has let a lot of people down by the way he has gone about things.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
thats right, we just know that you're a dickhead.

now piss off to France you pissy croissant eating wanker.

choisir

Juniors
So an over paid Kiwi's decision to break a contract will kill the NRL?? go down to the park this weekend and watch some local footy.Of course there will be no overhyped superstars playing ,but that wont matter.The game its self will always survive in some form,just like it has in England who have always struggled against a much stronger competitor .The NRL promoted this goon his profile to make his bucks,much the same way his boxer mate got his.I have no doubt more blokes will do it again in the future ,meh doesnt bother me either way good luck to 'em.Just please can they leave out the "poor me,ive been dudded" excuse.

Why did you announce you are doing a SBW. He didn't announce what he was doing. IMO you should have done the same, left without saying anything

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm tired up people starting threads stating the problems with the game, but without addressing any of those problems or offering any solutions. It's just a waste of time reading this stuff over and over.

We all know what the problems with the game are, every single person starting a new thread just to express THEIR opinion is completely pointless, it's just attention seeking. If everyone started their own thread stating the problems with the game we'd have a thousand threads in here.

Hey there's an idea, how about we start a NEW forum, for people to start threads on what they believe is wrong with the game, and what's wrong with Gallop, and the NRL etc.

Nice try by attempting to disguise this as another Sonny Bill thread Days, all I can say is, "Into the Bin!"