What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm worried

clint

Juniors
After something Steve Roach said on 2GB after the game i'm worried about the future of the club.

He said Ricky will be in for a tough year next year because we've bought no one because we have no money!

Considering his son is at the club maybe he knows more than we do.

I'm worried because this year we have been so close but so far. If we'd won half of the close games we'd easily be in the eight. Ricky says we need a few more star players and i agree - but we haven't bought any.

The clubs seems to be in a mess off the field. The development as usual appears stalled, nothing has been said about the ground redevelopment recently - even though it supposed to begin in the coming off season.

Walking around those bar areas at the bottom of the club, you realise the place has huge revenue potential especially on game day, but it's a delapidated looking mess.

A year of bad crowds and no doubt sponsorship revenue obviously will cause more pain.

We've got a good coaching structure in place, but with off field front office a mess, i'm seriously worried another year or two of disappointing performance on the field will lead to more bad crowds, sponsorship etc etc and the death of our club.

Sorry for the rant - but i'm worried!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Steve Roach goes to bars & gets on the pizz so much he gets into fights & kicks guys in the head whilst they are on the ground & ends up in court.
he then loses his media job.

Tell me when somebody of nouse tells me we have no money.

DJDL

First Grade
I'm with you there Reefer. I wouldn't listen to a word Roach has to say, he proves himself a fool time and again.

As for not having bought any quality players, who would you have bought?
Go through all the players who have transferred to another club, not remained loyal, and tell me who you'd have bought to strengthen the sqaud.

The only one I can think of is O'Meley. But we have Selmes, who looks to me every bit a young O'Meley. I'll be very interested to see how he is developed over the offseason. Get him to drop 1-2kg and he might just find that bit of mobility he's lacking.

So with the lack of quality "big-name" siginings, Sticky has opted for youth with good pedigree. That is what I like about where the squad is headed.

Oh, and have a think about the "big names" we've signed on big contracts in the last decade. Would you say we've gotten value for money out of them? Or would we have been better off developing some talented youth?

Well Lang made astute signings like Davidson, Barnett, Nikau, Green. I'd say we got great value for money out of them. Of course we had the core of players from the President' Cup class of 1994 coming into firsts.

Anderson pulled that squad apart and we haven't recovered.

You could sense that sucess might be possible then.

I get no sense of that now.

DJDL

First Grade
But most of those signings were made over a decade ago.
I'm talking 2000 onwards

DJDL said:
But most of those signings were made over a decade ago.
I'm talking 2000 onwards

Last decade 1997-

Well of course there was Preston Campbell, Beattie, McKenna, Mellor, McNicholas, Jason Ferris, Brent Grose. Much lower profile signings, but they all did a service for the Sharks. A lot less duds since 2002.

I'm thinking the rot set in 2002. When the nig noting culture shift came into the club and turned the club it into a souless place, knee jerking its way in a desperate attempt to fix what wasn't really broke under Lang.

You know Clint, I'm actually not overly worried about next year unless Kimmorley slots back into 1/2.

Every other club has, at some time or other bought or developed a young player or two and they have blossomed into great footballers. f*ck, we have even done it ie; ET, Sparkles, Rat etc.

My point is, maybe, just maybe it's our turn again. We have the nucleus already. We have the forwards to match any team.

Seymour is going along quite nicely and hopefully will really develop with a full off season under Stuart.

Blake Green by all accounts this is a bit of a young gun. A very loyal and astute Parra mate of mine was devastated that he left them. He would much rather have gotten rid of Smith or Finch. Also I am led to beleive that the Storm wanted him pretty badly. Fingers crossed.

Big Karl. Again an unknown quantity but if all reports out of Belmore are anything to go by, then we might just have something here. As long he isn't reading his own press clippings then we should be okay.

Brown is showing how good he can be. Still young and learning.

So let's have a look at the younguns we already have:

Pom, Dougy, Weirdo, Ando ( needs work), Selmes, Neilsen (if he stays), De Gois, Kearney

Middle aged for the want of a better phrase:

Birdy, Gal, Henry, Ross,

Old hard heads:

Thommo and Covell.

Unknown quantities:

Big Eddie. Imagine an entire off season. Cooper. I think injury free we might see some good things from this kid.

I've not seen any of our other juniors so I can't comment.

It doesn't look too bad through my eyes.

I wouldn't listen too much to Roach,media and agendas walk hand in hand, my guess it was something to do with his son, either:

1) they haven't signed his son for next year, and are still deciding if he's worth it.

or

2)they have told his son he isn't worth it and he won't be signed.

Since 73

First Grade
I reckon the questions been answered.
If ever a side can point to bad luck for a poor season we can.

9 games lost by less than 4 points.
Most of those game were won at some stage of the game, not some lucky comebacks when the other mob had clocked off.
All with a matchwinner in Kearney on the sidelines and an anchor at 7.

Not being greedy - just give us 4 of the 9 games. Thats 8 points. Thats equal fourth.

You're a joke Roach - that's how you're portraited on your radio gig and you act accordingly.
You're dirty because your son ain't moving through the grades quick enough.
Well you aren't even smart enough to realise you didn't do him any favours.

fatshark

Bench
The development as usual appears stalled, nothing has been said about the ground redevelopment recently - even though it supposed to begin in the coming off season.
Im sure they said it will start at the end of the month. They should of demolished it already and just fenced the area off
The clubs seems to be in a mess off the field.
Im sure the board couldnt be happier

coolumsharkie

Referee
Sheros los Deros said:
Well Lang made astute signings like Davidson, Barnett, Nikau, Green. I'd say we got great value for money out of them. Of course we had the core of players from the President' Cup class of 1994 coming into firsts.

Anderson pulled that squad apart and we haven't recovered.

You could sense that sucess might be possible then.

I get no sense of that now.

That about sums it up.. was it that long ago?

clint said:
The clubs seems to be in a mess off the field. The development as usual appears stalled, nothing has been said about the ground redevelopment recently - even though it supposed to begin in the coming off season.
The new sub-station that was supposed to be finished two months ago hasn't been done yet, energy australia is a world unto its own and doesnt care who you are.
I'd say things cannot go further until this is done, massive power problems (lack of) until this is completed.

carinashark

First Grade
Im not worried about 08 , we have a very good playing roster , we just have to hope we dont loose players with injuries. Top 4 finnish next year if we can keep the injuries low . But its an unknown.

clint

Juniors
I don't put much worth in what Roach says either and obviously I know how media agendas work probably better than anyone else here.

But some of you know the connections I have - and my fear is i hear similar things from people who should know what is going on at the club.

Im very happy with what Ricky is doing on the field, with the focus on juniors and development etc.

It's the off field issues that are frightening. How can we compete with rich one team clubs like Brisbane, when we have people running the club who can't get an essential development going after 10 or more years.

You'd think the club would be bragging about the upgrade of the ground - marketing the fact in the hope of drawing bigger crowds next year. But we hear nothing.

To me it smacks of a mob who really don't know what they are doing in a business sense.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Wrong Clint.
You cant be instant coffeee & espresso coffee at the same time.

The fix you are looking for requires the outright sale of the assetts.

That will equal 1 premiership maybe.

Premiership = dollars spent.

we need to spend an another 5 million per year to compete.

there are better ways, but they take the longer road, of which I am prepared to watch & wait.

Latest posts