What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imagine if this supporter was helping with TPA's

getsmarty

Immortal
TripADeal's Norm Black: The man who delivered Jarryd Hayne to the Gold Coast Titans

He's the one-time surf shop owner from Taree with six kids who supported the Dragons for 40 years. Meet Norm Black, the man who delivered Jarryd Hayne to a club and region crying out for a hero.

Black ignored his favourite side – who wanted Hayne – and shut down an attempt from the Eels to recapture their favourite son.

Jarryd Hayne: It is what it is
Jarryd Hayne speaks about his return to the NRL by signing for the Gold Coast Titans instead of the Parramatta Eels.

Black is the owner and founder of TripADeal, one of Australia's fastest growing companies. He poured in $400,000 to get Hayne. That figure is also his yearly commitment to the deal. Hayne will be a brand ambassador for a new offshoot company, Phone A Flight.

"This didn't happen overnight," Black said of the signing. "It started six months ago when I was starting to think about who we wanted to promote our product.

"I just thought there and then the person we need is Jarryd, the Hayne Plane. His story really inspired me.

"A friend of mine knew Brian Canavan, who was then the COO of the Titans, and I got in touch. He impressed me straight away and he also got a huge rap from David Gyngell [former Channel Nine chief executive], who I also know. I told him when the whole Rio dream was starting off that if there ever was a chance to be involved with Jarryd, I wanted in. If the club was going to have a crack at Jarryd, I'd be part of it. I just liked what he was about.

"I went and had a meeting with his agent, Wayne Beavis, and once I met him I was even more interested. I saw there was a genuine care, like a father for his son, and I thought I want to be involved with these guys and I want the region of the Northern Rivers to have a hero like Jarryd and a team to look up to in the Titans."

When Hayne didn't make the Rio Games he became an option for the Titans. But Parramatta were his first choice and they needed money.

1470475228353.jpg

Inspirational meeting: Norm Black and son Finley with Jarryd Hayne. Photo: Supplied
Black's money was being talked about in football circles. Chris Orr, the manager of Eels coach Brad Arthur, heard about the interest from Black and made an approach. Black wasn't interested at all. "I wanted to help the Titans," Black said.

All this and he had never met Hayne. "I met him [Hayne] for the first time on Tuesday afternoon at [Titans chairwoman] Rebecca Frizelle's house. It was away from the cameras, microphones, all that kind of thing and I was so impressed with him as a young man. I listened to him talk and I thought if my kids grow up to be that kind of person I'd be really proud. What really sealed it for me was he said to me, 'I'm just going crazy, I want to get out there, I just want to play league'.

"And I could see his pain about Parramatta but, to be honest, it was more about his mates, especially Tim [Mannah]. He didn't want to let him down. I talked to him about that and said that if I had an employee that had that bond like that I explained that it would be understandable if the environment had changed ... You wouldn't want someone to be loyal to his own detriment and I think he got that, but I did love his loyalty.

"Also I was really impressed that at no point did Beavis or Jarryd say to me, 'How about a bit more?'

That was never a conversation. That fitted the respect I got from everyone at the club, from [club boss] Graham Annesley down."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...to-the-gold-coast-titans-20160806-gqmnha.html

Dragsters

First Grade
So essentially this deal happened for the Titans because he was impressed by the clubs administration as opposed to those running the team he loved, our team.

Says it all really.

getsmarty

Immortal
So essentially this deal happened for the Titans because he was impressed by the clubs administration as opposed to those running the team he loved, our team.

Says it all really.

Would love to hear The Board's response to this...Deafening Silence.

possm

Coach
I highly recommend not holding your breath!
Says it all doesn't it! So now it's time for the entire Board to resign. They should invite Gordon and WIN TV to take over the entire operation and so begin our climb out of this mess.

If the Board do not recognise how out of touch they are, surely the NRL should do the same as they have done with the Titans, Knights, Tigers and Eels.

The NRL should provide the reasons for sacking the Board and the NRL should also produce a franchise licence for consideration.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Says it all doesn't it! So now it's time for the entire Board to resign. They should invite Gordon and WIN TV to take over the entire operation and so begin our climb out of this mess.

If the Board do not recognise how out of touch they are, surely the NRL should do the same as they have done with the Titans, Knights, Tigers and Eels.

The NRL should provide the reasons for sacking the Board and the NRL should also produce a franchise licence for consideration.

In the face of much angst, did the parramatta board resign? No they didn't. They were only dragged out kicking and screaming once the nsw government got involved.
Our board won't resign, it just won't be as simple as that.
I agree, now that parramatta are heading in the right direction, the NRL need to turn their attention to us.

Gareth67

First Grade
Geeze , that is really kicking a person when they are down , and I mean in the bullocks !
What a sad , sad , reflection on our Club .

Although this man has supported the Dragons for 40 long years , he could see that our Club was not the place to make a successful financial investment .

That must make one wonder just what it is that Bruce Gordon sees in our club that Norm Black could not ?

Last edited:

monsterkev

Juniors
cant blame him for ditching the dragons i wouldnt give them any money either
i live in mackay and on the 20th august will be driving to townsville to watch the cowboys for the very 1st time
see what happens from there
might have a new team to support
even my 9 yo son has ditched the dragons and is following the cowboys

SaintPauli

Juniors
What a load of BS. This KNOB is not a dragons supporter but purely a businessman thinking of one thing only.​

Let's hope we get Mr Win TV. with his loads of contacts in the media and business world ASAP Who will NOT sell us out to another club.

dannyt

Coach
What a load of BS. This KNOB is not a dragons supporter but purely a businessman thinking of one thing only.​

Let's hope we get Mr Win TV. with his loads of contacts in the media and business world ASAP Who will NOT sell us out to another club.

Why is he a "KNOB"? Because he said he was a dragon's supporter but supported the titans in getting Hayne?

I don't see why you can't support a team and have a professional life separate to your allegiance to your sporting team.

Put yourself in his shoes. You have $500,000 to invest in a club. You do your research, or get a team of experts to do it for you, and you end up with a list of candidates listing the pros and cons of each.

Your personal feelings lean towards one club, but the evidence points to another club.

Due diligence in business mandates you have to do what is best for the business, irrespective of personal feelings.

There is another term for businessmen who make decisions with their heart, not their head- broke.

Our club should be better governed and be an attractive option for sponsors to invest. The only way this can happen is to get our house in order, starting with a cleanout of the board and hiring people with a sense for business in the 21st century, not the 1990s.

The Doc

Juniors
Maybe some research on the guy and his business interests should be done.
He has business on the gold coast, and needs to promote it... Phone A Flight... Hayne Plane... business on the Gold Coast...
Has nothing to do with having no faith in dragons management, business is business.
Sorry peoples, lets not scoop to ridiculously stupid lows just to blame management.
Its known to all how bad our management is, but business is business, this guy has his own business interest at heart.

RedVDragon

Juniors
Doust talks losely about governance. He doesn't have a clue what this means. Let me explain Peter in simple terms the word governance mean that rotten smell starts from the fishes head. That smell comes from your head. Leave to help make the dragons a better place and a progressive team that top notch players want to play for us. I wouldn't be surprise if there is no change with our hoard we won't have a major sponsor once the St George Bank deal expires. As if Westpac would want to be associated with a dysfunctional organisation that may devalue shareholder equity.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Allegedly supports the dragons over 40 years gives hayne to the titans .. it only makes sense i mean sure jarryd go play for the dragons and be the face of crown lager says it all

dannyt

Coach
I never said this particular businessman didn't go to the dragons because of management. It's obvious that the titans was his best option.

However, dysfunctional management will jeopardise our chances of attracting new major sponsors, even if we are their best option.

GKJ79

Juniors
cant blame him for ditching the dragons i wouldnt give them any money either
i live in mackay and on the 20th august will be driving to townsville to watch the cowboys for the very 1st time
see what happens from there
might have a new team to support
even my 9 yo son has ditched the dragons and is following the cowboys

f**kin sad isn't it, we cant sign anyone, so why are we not doing the same as Browny is doing at Newcastle? He has made a massive step forward in a short period of time, investing and believing in local juniors, f**k splashing out mega bucks for one big signing, we have an excellent junior base to work with, and i would rather put up with a few more years of pain watching our local juniors come through, than paying overs for more shit like Marshall, Lafai etc...that sends us broke, and gets us nowhere, f**k doust and mcgregor are clueless, losing kids to other teams because they are inept, what 9 year old wouldn't want to follow Thurston and the Cowboys.

The Doc

Juniors
I never said this particular businessman didn't go to the dragons because of management. It's obvious that the titans was his best option.

However, dysfunctional management will jeopardise our chances of attracting new major sponsors, even if we are their best option.
Our management needs an overhaul. Management AND coach.
It still wont fix TPAs unfortunately... not within the first 2-3 years unfortunately.
But it sure would be a step in the right direction.
On field success attracts businesses to fork out top dollar... we need a management team and a coach that can achieve this.
Then with on field success comes financial gain from companies/business men willing to promote themselves through our team.

dannyt

Coach
This also highlights why we need new management.

The success of 2009-2011 should've been the platform to secure our future. Never happened.

SaintHarry

Juniors
I actually heard something interesting the other week .. there are actual big business men who have approached the club as a sponsor and just simply been shown the door i know it sounds stupid i can't say who told me sorry..