What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortal?

saintzrule

Juniors
What a monumentous mistake making A Johns an immortal. Sticks, a magnificent example of talent and humility , was 'The man'.

Mr Red

First Grade
Slow news day for you? It was 3 years ago mate, any point for raising this now?

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
Still a valid point though.

Despite what he did outside of the game. He thoroughly deserves to be an immortal. He guided the Knights to their first ever premiership. Then won them their second premiership in the unwinnable grand final against the unbeatable eels.
The winning percentage of the Knights when they were without Johns shows you that he made everyone he played with better.
In 2005 he was brought out of retirement to play for the Blues and he won the series from 1-0 down.
Also in 2005 he came back from a serious neck injury to guide the knights who were stone dead last to win almost every game at the back end of the season. Even though they still won the wooden spoon.
So no, I dont think it is a valid argument at all. He is, and always will be, one of the greatest players to have ever played Rugby League.

BennyV

Referee
Immortals is a lost concept from the second Johns was inducted. It is losing its prestige - hell, its voted on by a panel of 8, 4 of whom are current immortals, and the rest being media persona and league 'experts'...no existing immortals voted Johns and they were all against his induction.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Despite what he did outside of the game. He thoroughly deserves to be an immortal. He guided the Knights to their first ever premiership. Then won them their second premiership in the unwinnable grand final against the unbeatable eels.
The winning percentage of the Knights when they were without Johns shows you that he made everyone he played with better.
In 2005 he was brought out of retirement to play for the Blues and he won the series from 1-0 down.
Also in 2005 he came back from a serious neck injury to guide the knights who were stone dead last to win almost every game at the back end of the season. Even though they still won the wooden spoon.
So no, I dont think it is a valid argument at all. He is, and always will be, one of the greatest players to have ever played Rugby League.

Maybe you haven't heard of the legendary Norm Provan :sarcasm:
Johns was good but Provan was better

Mr Red

First Grade
Still a valid point though.

Agree Provan should be there. But so should johns.
Johns is arguably the greatest player of the generation ( that's another debate )
To use johns off field antics as a reason to justify his exclusion would also mean removing Raper.
Raper got in as much off field trouble as johns ever did, but being back in the day before digital and social media most of it was un reported or swept under the carpet.

Do you think raper should not be an immortal ?

Last edited:

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Agree Provan should be there. But so should johns.
Johns is arguably the greatest player of the generation ( that's another debate )
To use johns off field antics as a reason to justify his exclusion would also mean removing Raper.
Raper got in as much off field trouble as johns ever did, but being back in the day before digital and social media most of it was un reported or swept under the carpet.

Do you think raper should not be an immortal ?

I agree with you Mr Ed. They both should be

Country Dragon

Juniors

Exactly, the greatest all round footballer I have seen!

Como Connection

First Grade

You are f##king kidding, the guy is no immortal, disgraceful post. FACT.

alien

Referee
joey johns is the best half that i've seen, and i've been following league since 1987. thurston would be up there though

The Nick

Bench
Joey Johns is the greatest I've ever seen. His performances in Games 2 & 3 of the 2005 SOO series are the most dominant I've ever witnessed by an individual.

The Nick

Bench
You are f##king kidding, the guy is no immortal, disgraceful post. FACT.

Well this is awkward because he actually is. He was voted in by far better judges than you. FACT.

Thurston is the next... Fact!

Actually he's a little down the pecking order. Firstly he needs to be retired for 5 years. Secondly there's a few players by the names of Meninga, Lockyer and even Provan that will be considered before him. Fact!

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Well this is awkward because he actually is. He was voted in by far better judges than you. FACT.

Actually he's a little down the pecking order. Firstly he needs to be retired for 5 years. Secondly there's a few players by the names of Meninga, Lockyer and even Provan that will be considered before him. Fact!

Meninga will be. Proven already should be and Lockyer never will be. Thurston is by far the best I've ever seen and will be an immortal.

I have Thurston ahead of a bunch of players who were all just as good as each other such as Sterling Langer Daley Fittler Lockyer Johns Smith of those players listed none of them were better then the other. They were all freaks in there own right but that doesn't make them all immortals.

Last edited:

The Nick

Bench
Meninga will be. Proven already should be and Lockyer never will be. Thurston is by far the best I've ever seen and will be an immortal.

I have Thurston ahead of a bunch of players who were all just as good as each other such as Sterling Langer Daley Fittler Lockyer Johns Smith of those players listed none of them were better then the other. They were all freaks in there own right but that doesn't make them all immortals.

Fair enough mate, you're entitled to your opinion but re: Johns better judges than both you and I have already selected him as an Immortal so any debate there is irrelevant.

Latest posts