What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Cronk Offer On Dragons' Future

nrlnrl

First Grade
Now that it seems Cronk will stay, there are a few major points for the Dragons to address. Do they make a statement confirming they made an offer & also, what is the future of Hornby, Young & possibly others ? To me, that is the big story.

I realise they need to focus on 2012, but I believe it would be in the best interests of the current season, plus 2013 & beyond to explain the situation & then the speculation is ended.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I don't think he is staying in Melbourne but we don't really have to make a statement because someone else in Melbourne not even contracted to club has spoken out about his own future.

God-King Dean

Immortal
If he is coming to Saints & asking for the ridiculous amounts that's been reported I still think we could afford him, considering Young, Hornby, Cooper & Fien are coming off contract at the same time.

TheRev

Coach
I think what nrlnrl means is that this is the first time (well since loltzen) that we actively went out seeking a top name playmaker, and its been a long time since we have done that (we mostly breed our own or buy fringe players).

So it tells the market that the Dragons are out there looking for 2013, and yes you can read between the lines on the rest, hopefully Soward is staying put, and its a #7 they want to go alongside..

hardbaby

Coach
There is no doubt the 7 should be our big priority. If we miss Cronk I hope we just hold onto the cash. We have a strong team. I am not really a fan of Hornby as a player (although I respect what he has achieved for the Dragons) but if we need to go with him for next year, so be it.

Our backline is strong. Our forwards are great. I think the coach has the goods. Cronk would make us an immediate premiership threat. But there will be other players coming on the market (bear in mind if the Titans fold, all contracts will be null and void). I just hope they don't panic and throw silly money at the wrong player.

Throwing $2 million over 3 seasons at Cronk is a huge leap in faith for a team that is "bred not bought". If we fall short, no dramas. I'm glad we had a crack and I respect the decision to pursue him aggressively.

bottle

Coach
Does every club need to come out and make statements about their future and intentions re their playing roster because it is rumoured they've made an offer to someone or other? Ridiculous suggestion. There would need to be a 24 hour full time channel devoted to statement making given the constant back room machinations all clubs would constantly be involved in. If that's the big story you need to get a hold of 'Possum Magic'. That should be a bit bigger for you.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Does every club need to come out and make statements about their future and intentions re their playing roster because it is rumoured they've made an offer to someone or other? Ridiculous suggestion. There would need to be a 24 hour full time channel devoted to statement making given the constant back room machinations all clubs would constantly be involved in. If that's the big story you need to get a hold of 'Possum Magic'. That should be a bit bigger for you.

Obviously they don't, but what I was getting at was what TheRev mentioned. ( breeding our own, buying fringe players )

Lately there have been plenty of players mentioned as being linked to the Dragons, but they've been the usual b.s. "player x has been linked to 5 clubs...". However, with players like Ben Hornby, Nathan Fien & Dean Young there has been ongoing speculation about their playing future. There seem to be players within the Dragons who could replace them - Kyle Stanley, Cameron King & possibly Jake Marketo.

I realise the club doesn't have to, & won't reveal all their plans associated with players, but I prefer the Beau Scott situation where the status is settled, rather than ongoing uncertainty for months.

giboz71

First Grade
I hope he signs elsewhere to be honest, keep the cash and sign 2 or 3 solid players instead of one superstar. Spending millions on a big name is risky, just ask the Rabbits and the Eels.
Prefer the blueprint we built in the Bennett years….keep the core of the team intact (Hornby, Cooper, Young, Creagh, Morris, Nightingale), and complement with astute signings that don’t break the bank. Boyd, Costigan, Weyman and Smith came to us in 2009, all solid players but unwanted and squeezed out by their former clubs, so presumably came to us cheap. Manly won a comp with DCE, no one had heard of him before last year.
We won a comp with Soward and Hornby, so a future halves pairing of Stanley and Soward doesn’t sound too bad to me.

chris_el

Juniors
Exactly, you never know what could be running through Cronk's mind. He may not like being in Melbourne anymore and just wants to get out, he likes the offer from Gold Coast but is concerned about their situation, Dragons can't offer the amount he is asking, but he may like the club culture and history. Not long till its all revealed.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Never believed for a second he'd end up at the Dragons. Just wouldn't make any sense (Couldn't see the Dragons offering much more money then the Storm.)

I highly doubt he'll leave the Storm.

Minh

First Grade
The Illawarra Mercury has already said we have pulled out of the race for his signature.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Now that it seems Cronk will stay, there are a few major points for the Dragons to address. Do they make a statement confirming they made an offer & also, what is the future of Hornby, Young & possibly others ? To me, that is the big story.

I realise they need to focus on 2012, but I believe it would be in the best interests of the current season, plus 2013 & beyond to explain the situation & then the speculation is ended.

This is just a dumb idea. Can you imagine Peter Doust calling a press conference in round 5 of the season with the media and you've got Hornby, Young and Fien sitting next to him and going "As you know the Dragons were rumored to have made an offer to Beale, B Stewart, Glenn Stewart and Cooper Cronk. We missed out on all four but I would like to clear things up. Ben Hornby will be the half back for next year. Dean Young will be retiring and Nathan Fien will fill the bench spot every now and then. Just wanted you all to know that for some piece of mind. Thank you media for turning up."

That is so stupid.

Last edited:

Latest posts