What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Cronk Offer On Dragons' Future

Minh

First Grade
Every player on the market will be linked to the Dragons just to jack up their values best to ignore it until it's officially official full release and all.

Minh

First Grade
Dragons already have a very strong playing roster, just one or two astute signings will be adequate so long as we can retain our young stars and a few wise old heads. I think with us going hard after Cronk means that Hornby retirement is immenent, just a guess.

nrlnrl

First Grade
This is just a dumb idea. Can you imagine Peter Doust calling a press conference in round 5 of the season with the media and you've got Hornby, Young and Fien sitting next to him and going "As you know the Dragons were rumored to have made an offer to Beale, B Stewart, Glenn Stewart and Cooper Cronk. We missed out on all four but I would like to clear things up. Ben Hornby will be the half back for next year. Dean Young will be retiring and Nathan Fien will fill the bench spot every now and then. Just wanted you all to know that for some piece of mind. Thank you media for turning up."

That is so stupid.

Fair enough, obviously not what I intended. It does make you wonder what impact this speculation will have on Ben Hornby.

I just prefer the approach of having players' futures confirmed as early as possible. With Beau Scott's departure, it allows the Dragons to lock up existing players as replacements or pursue external candidates. The Brett Morris experiment has altered the outlook, surely he's our long-term fullback & now the club can make plans around that.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Fair enough, obviously not what I intended. It does make you wonder what impact this speculation will have on Ben Hornby.

I just prefer the approach of having players' futures confirmed as early as possible. With Beau Scott's departure, it allows the Dragons to lock up existing players as replacements or pursue external candidates. The Brett Morris experiment has altered the outlook, surely he's our long-term fullback & now the club can make plans around that.

I hope that Morris is the long term fullback because I think Vidot is quite capable on the wing. As for Hornby, I don't think the club would be leaving him in the dark about their plans, they probably just don't deem it necessary to make them public at this stage. For all we know they told Hornby he will be surplus to requirements next year in the event we sign Cronk, but if we miss out then he'll run around again next year. He would be under no illusions as to his age and the opportunity a player like Cronk would present for the club.

Last edited:
What we really need is one big press conference telling everybody where every player off contract is going to be playing next year....

Reyter

Juniors
There is no doubt the 7 should be our big priority. If we miss Cronk I hope we just hold onto the cash. We have a strong team. I am not really a fan of Hornby as a player (although I respect what he has achieved for the Dragons) but if we need to go with him for next year, so be it.

Our backline is strong. Our forwards are great. I think the coach has the goods. Cronk would make us an immediate premiership threat. But there will be other players coming on the market (bear in mind if the Titans fold, all contracts will be null and void). I just hope they don't panic and throw silly money at the wrong player.

Throwing $2 million over 3 seasons at Cronk is a huge leap in faith for a team that is "bred not bought". If we fall short, no dramas. I'm glad we had a crack and I respect the decision to pursue him aggressively.

Soward and K. Stanley in the halves. I know both prefer 6 but I think both could handle 7. The make a play for Israel Folau. He is having a tough time in the AFL. Their highest paid player isn't up to first grade (or whatever they call it) standard. How would that make other AFL players feel? I suspect they may not mind letting him go. Even if that isn't possible, the Dragons seem to have plenty of depth with outside backs. I'm not sure Gerald Beale is a very good centre.

Folau was recruited by the AFL to appeal to the Polynesian kids in Sydney's west. Whether he can play the game or not, his main purpose is to attract kids away from NRL.
It's a great gig if you can get it.
Problem will be what $$$ he will ask if/when he gets tired of the job and wants to play proper footy again.

Reyter

Juniors
Folau was recruited by the AFL to appeal to the Polynesian kids in Sydney's west. Whether he can play the game or not, his main purpose is to attract kids away from NRL.
It's a great gig if you can get it.
Problem will be what $$$ he will ask if/when he gets tired of the job and wants to play proper footy again.

Sure but if the AFLs big plan is backfiring on them, as in their highest paid player is very poor at the game even after 2 years, they may be happy for him to go. I would hate it if my coworker was an utter idiot but was on twice or three times (or probably more like 10 times most of his teammates) my salary just because he was good in his last but different job.

I realize it's not the Dragons way to pay big money for imports and it's a strategy I think they can be proud of but all that extra money for Gaz, Boyd and Scott could be spent somewhere. Maybe it will all go to upgrades for De Belin, Rein, K. Stanley, King and etc.

woodley_11

Juniors
Keep the back three as it is, Green/C.Stanley to partner Cooper in the centres, K. Stanley and Soward in the halves (assuming Hornby is retiring) we have amazing forward depth to cover Scott and Young if he retires. I don't see the need to buy anyone else, especially now we have discovered how good Morris is at the back.

giboz71

First Grade
Props – great depth here in Weyman, Hunt and Merrin. Young Stockwell looks a good player as well and hopefully Latimore sticks around.
Hooker – Rein and King (assuming he stays), Like the look of young Damien Cook as well
Back Row – Creagh, Prior, De Belin with Marketo a likely back up
Halves – Soward and K Stanely
Centres – Cooper, C Stanley and Green
Wingers – Nightingale, Morris and Vidot
Fullback – Beale?? (with Morris as a backup)
So based on the above, 3 areas we lack depth is in the backrow, halfback and an outside back that can cover wing, centre fullback. Presumably Hornby, Young and Fien to retire within the next two years.
The way I see it, we have cap room due to Moltzen’s backflip, Gaz’s retirement and Scott going to Newcastle.
These are the holes we need to fill in the next 1-2 years with the money available.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Every player on the market will be linked to the Dragons just to jack up their values best to ignore it until it's officially official full release and all.

Too bloody right....gives me the absolute shits. Dragons are the new Rugby Union option....mentioned just to jack up the price. The irony is we hardly ever recruit big names (Jeremy Smith? Darius?) so why are we always mentioned?? And besides....we don't need any of them.

Gippsy

Bench
Too bloody right....gives me the absolute shits. Dragons are the new Rugby Union option....mentioned just to jack up the price. The irony is we hardly ever recruit big names (Jeremy Smith? Darius?) so why are we always mentioned?? And besides....we don't need any of them.

I've no problems with us being used to jack up a players price, as long as we don't have to pay it!

Cagey Mac

Bench
Props – great depth here in Weyman, Hunt and Merrin. Young Stockwell looks a good player as well and hopefully Latimore sticks around.
Hooker – Rein and King (assuming he stays), Like the look of young Damien Cook as well
Back Row – Creagh, Prior, De Belin with Marketo a likely back up
Halves – Soward and K Stanely
Centres – Cooper, C Stanley and Green
Wingers – Nightingale, Morris and Vidot
Fullback – Beale?? (with Morris as a backup)
So based on the above, 3 areas we lack depth is in the backrow, halfback and an outside back that can cover wing, centre fullback. Presumably Hornby, Young and Fien to retire within the next two years.
The way I see it, we have cap room due to Moltzen’s backflip, Gaz’s retirement and Scott going to Newcastle.
These are the holes we need to fill in the next 1-2 years with the money available.

If Bronx Goodwin stays fit he’ll be in that mix
Green looks a likely prospect as does Cummins
Vidot has potential to be a lump of a back rower in the style of TRex
Marketo will make a fine lock with a few more kgs

We may be a bit thin but only a bit if the status quo remains
Don't know about Chase, hope he can hold himself togther long enough to get some kind of career going

Latest posts