What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In depth analysis of game vs Canberra

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Dazzat said:
Everyone needs to take a cold shower (a quick one if you're on water restrictions).

Take a look at the points table - we are running third out of 15 bloomin' teams! Did we get there because of Bennett's poor coaching? Did the team play excellent football throughout most of the season because of his lack of imagination and poor selections?

Have you noticed that other teams (Dragons, Cowboys, Sharks, Tigers, Panthers) are going through some tough times as well?

I don't have any answers for the Broncs current problems, but I know that bagging them and withdrawing support (Broncoman) is going to achieve anything.

They are capable of beating the Storm next week if we get behind them with some fair dinkum support (believe it or not that's the function of a 'supporter').

It's common knowledge that the Broncos are under more media scrutiny than any other team in the competition. The Brisbane media are looking to sell papers and the Sydney media just plain hate them. It's my opinion that this constant barrage from season start to season finish takes its toll and chips away at the team's psyche.

Yes I get angry and frustrated when they make stupid mistakes and play dumb, but the positives are still there. Take the two intercept tries out of today's result and you have a draw.
someones in denial take the 2 intercepts out and its a draw :lol: the raiders clocked of at 30-6 good luck next week against the storm your gonna need it . ps i feel for a champ like webcke who deserves to go out on a better note than this.

salivor

First Grade
Dazzat said:
Everyone needs to take a cold shower (a quick one if you're on water restrictions).

Take a look at the points table - we are running third out of 15 bloomin' teams! Did we get there because of Bennett's poor coaching? Did the team play excellent football throughout most of the season because of his lack of imagination and poor selections?

Are we watching the same side?

Sure Bennett can get the side churning out wins before Origin but theres no pride and no trophy in being June premiers. Coaches are judged on the season as a whole and for 6 years in a row now we've died in the arse at the business end.

That does come down to Bennett's lack of imagination. I was watching the Melbourne v Brisbane match from 2003, the one that went to golden point and our attack hasn't changed one bit in 3 years, at least we attempted a bit of second phase play back then. Times change and Bennett has always been a players coach rather than a tactical one. The basic game plan that worked 10 years ago doesn't now and he doesn't have the ability to adapt.

Dazzat said:
Have you noticed that other teams (Dragons, Cowboys, Sharks, Tigers, Panthers) are going through some tough times as well?

So we want to compare ourselves to mediocrity to make ourselves feel better? We were once a powerhouse and have all the parts to still be one, I'm not going to sit by and let the club fall away as easily as you are.

Dazzat said:
I don't have any answers for the Broncs current problems, but I know that bagging them and withdrawing support (Broncoman) is going to achieve anything.

They are capable of beating the Storm next week if we get behind them with some fair dinkum support (believe it or not that's the function of a 'supporter').
Hold on I'll just get your pom poms. We had 30k turn up to the Tigers match, "getting in behind them" didn't make a damn difference.

Cullen has stated this week that they had 100's of emails complaining about the situation (and no I wasn't one of them), thats going to do a hell of a lot more in putting pressure on the club to change than being a bloody cheerleader for medicority. I'm not going to hold back, your just as delluded as some of the people within the club who want to burry their heads in the sand and pretend it's still the 90's and everything's ok, it's that attitude that has seen a once great club fall back to the pack.

Dazzat said:
It's common knowledge that the Broncos are under more media scrutiny than any other team in the competition. The Brisbane media are looking to sell papers and the Sydney media just plain hate them. It's my opinion that this constant barrage from season start to season finish takes its toll and chips away at the team's psyche.

The Broncos have been under media scrutiny since day 1. Nothing's changed yet we managed to win 5 premierships under that scrutiny, if anything it was an advantage as we could adopt an under seige mentality. If the Bulldogs can win a comp while players are facing rape allegations I think we can live through a bit of tame media attention.

Your doing nothing but making excuses, like people who try to blame Origin for our slumps as if the series wasn't arround from 1988-2000.

Dazzat said:
Yes I get angry and frustrated when they make stupid mistakes and play dumb, but the positives are still there. Take the two intercept tries out of today's result and you have a draw.

But it wasn't a draw, it was damn disgraceful. 30-18 and the 4th straight loss, take off the rose coloured glasses.

Mr Saab

Referee
Dazzat said:

What the?????????????????? Do you think League is Microsoft Word where you just cut and paste? My god you in severe denial.

Were you watching the same game as the rest of us? Did you actually watch the broncos play vs canberra? Their "attack" was just shocking. They didnt even look like scoring a try! 5th tackle option was just putting up a bomb.
Reminded me of the Sharks back in 1996 when that is all they would do.
Against the raiders they showed none of their forward domination. They went wide early and they suffered with field positon as a result on 5th tackle clearing kicks.
You would think after the NQ debacle that they would have shown something at home vs the tigers....but no.
You would think after the tigers debacle they would have shown something vs Canberra....but in fact they were worst than they were vs the Tigers.
They are actually regressing rather than progressing.

Smiley

Bench
i dont understand why they would push tate onto the wing and not put berrigan in centre. Eastwood is best in the fowards. If only we had hunt and ennis.

Dazzat

First Grade
Denial no. Rose coloured glasses no.

The thing with fair-weather supporters is you'll keep sticking the knife in until a win (in other words a premiership). And then you'll decide the team's not so bad after all, and come up with some wisdom about what turned the team around.

Bennett and the team have served up more premierships to you poor deprived supporters than any other coach in the league (maybe except for Tim Sheens), but success has its cost ... the poor, poor, deprived little supporters need to win all the time or its time to spit the dummy. This is the cost of success in today's success-at-all-cost world of sport (compare your attitude to the Broncos losing streak to the Socceroos push toward the world cup over the past 32 years).

Support is not about pom poms. Supporters cannot make management decisions. We cannot sack Bennett and we cannot make team selections. Salivor you are in denial ... no you actually aren't the team manager (I know that you think you are).

No supporters actually (are supposed to) support. I'd love to see you guys reading out your posts in the team locker room after the game, particularly Salivor who "isn't holding back". Take your posts and read them to Webke, Thorn and Costigan and see how you go.

Ponkers

Juniors
Dazzat said:
Take your posts and read them to Webke, Thorn and Costigan and see how you go.

I reckon they would agree that what the Broncos is giving isn't good enough, even Bennett has said so and I'm sure they are constantly saying so in their interviews.

salivor

First Grade
Dazzat said:

The thing with fair-weather supporters

Ok you can stop right there. Your not worth my time with that comment. Take your high horse and shove it up the proverbial. I've never ditched my team, ever, end of story. If I didn't give a damn about the team then I'd be like you and sit around and pretend everythings ok with 6 crashes and burns.

Don't bother conversing with me again as it won't be reciprocated.

Ghoulies

Bench
Dazzat said:

The thing with fair-weather supporters is you'll keep sticking the knife in until a win (in other words a premiership). And then you'll decide the team's not so bad after all, and come up with some wisdom about what turned the team around.
Pay attention chief, no one is demanding a premiership. We expect performances which accurately reflect the talent of our roster, not this repetitive rubbish which comes out season after season.

Bennett and the team have served up more premierships to you poor deprived supporters than any other coach in the league (maybe except for Tim Sheens), but success has its cost ... the poor, poor, deprived little supporters need to win all the time or its time to spit the dummy.
Talk about having a wank! Are you always this self-righteous, or do you just wheel this crap out for our benefit?

Bennett's success has earned him enormous respect from the Rugby League fraternity; for me, that respect still remains, but coaching is a tough racket, and there's no room for sentiment. The facts are, Benny hasn't delivered, or even looked like delivering a competitive season for more than half a decade now (with the possible exception of '02). I've layed off the man in the past because of his great history, but enough is enough, it's time for the club to move in a new direction.

This is the cost of success in today's success-at-all-cost world of sport (compare your attitude to the Broncos losing streak to the Socceroos push toward the world cup over the past 32 years).
Lame comparison, Dazz. For the past 2 decades, the Broncos have been one of the most successful sporting institutions in Australia, whereas until recently, the Socceroos were a footballing joke. The expectations of both teams are vastly different.

Supporters cannot make management decisions. We cannot sack Bennett and we cannot make team selections.
So because we don't have a say in how the team is run, we can't make our own independant observations? I'll remember that the next time you make any comment in regards to any Broncos team issue.

No supporters actually (are supposed to) support. I'd love to see you guys reading out your posts in the team locker room after the game, particularly Salivor who "isn't holding back".
I support, yet my interests go beyond simply making loud, inane noises at games (Go Broncos! Wooh!).

lockyno1

Post Whore
Look the thing that frustrates me is frankly we let go of Craig Bellamy and from what I have seen he is a heck of a lot more imaginative than Bennett is! Fact is that blind freddy could have won the title in 98', 2000. Take out those premierships and when was our last one...1993! I am not counting 97' as it was Superleague. Fact is that Craig Bellamy looks the goods. Times have changed and Bennett is quite past his time as a coach. Time to move on. New coach is needed!

Dazzat

First Grade
Obviously hit a sore spot Salivor ... ouch!

I have a simple game plan as a supporter. I put myself in the place of the players. The players are putting in and trying hard ... no doubt. And so is the coach despite all the ranting going on here (remember he has a significant support staff - no one's questioned their commitment).

The players and coach know they are not travelling well .. the score board is the best indicator.

The last thing players need is supporters throwing in hand grenades of discord and pathetic blame shifting into the camp. If you think it's going to motivate them just think about how you feel when the wife or anyone else starts back seat driving while you are driving ... GO THIS WAY, DO THIS, TRUST ME I KNOW WHERE TO GO, TAKE A LEFT HERE, YOU'RE GOING TOO FAST, OVERTAKE THIS CAR, YOU'RE NOT A VERY GOOD DRIVER ARE YOU, I RECKON I COULD DRIVE BETTER THAN YOU WITH MY EYES CLOSED ... YADA YADA YADA ... (my wonderful wife doesn't do this by the way).

If I'm the fall guy to bring balance to all this ranting ... so be it. The Broncos have got what it takes ... and as the cliche goes, are only one win away from getting out of the 'slump'.

Ponkers

Juniors
Dazzat said:
The last thing players need is supporters throwing in hand grenades of discord and pathetic blame shifting into the camp. If you think it's going to motivate them just think about how you feel when the wife or anyone else starts back seat driving while you are driving ... GO THIS WAY, DO THIS, TRUST ME I KNOW WHERE TO GO, TAKE A LEFT HERE, YOU'RE GOING TOO FAST, OVERTAKE THIS CAR, YOU'RE NOT A VERY GOOD DRIVER ARE YOU, I RECKON I COULD DRIVE BETTER THAN YOU WITH MY EYES CLOSED ... YADA YADA YADA ... (my wonderful wife doesn't do this by the way).

If I crashed my car in the last 10 minutes of the drive home every time I go out, I think my girl would have every right to talk that way to me, or actually take over the driving.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Dazzat said:
If I'm the fall guy to bring balance to all this ranting ... so be it.

yopu're not bringing balance, you're being delusional

Dazzat said:
The Broncos have got what it takes ...
which is why everyone's so angry at their performances. if they were putting in and attempting soem sort of gameplan and execution then people wouldnt eb so upset. but slumping after July for 5 years straight is ridiculous. In the broncos team vs the raiders we had hell of a lot of origin and internationals yet we played like a team that consisted of players who ahd played 10 PL games and got thrown together.

Dazzat said:
and as the cliche goes, are only one win away from getting out of the 'slump'.
hasnt worked for NQ or the tigers after they ebat us and the way we're playing and agaisnt the opposition we face we'll be lucky to win against the warriors.

no one is denying bennett has been a great coach but over the past 4 years I've felt he has not kept up with the times in rugby league and this becomes more and more evident every year.

simple trends in play such as having outside backs chewing up metres from dummy half, kicks to the wingers isolating other defenders, second phase play. these are all ignored and we get 'one off the ruck bash and barge'.

there seems to be a genuine lack of direction in attack and the ruck defense for the past 5 years has been incompeteant at best, yet nothing changes...

you mentioned why no ones having a go at the support staff, well alst eyar they got sacked and bennett blamed them, this year he's had new support staff, the one common thing throughout this slump has been bennett. I'd like to see him stay on to help people-manage, but it's time for a new coach with new ideas

Manda4Broncos

Juniors
broncos have no diversity.
they rely too much on the grubber kick on the line - they should do more chip kicks to the wing! why did only 1 of those happen yesterday, and we caught them in goal and it was nearly a try? more of those!
we need less pressure on the Hodges/Tate to make a break, give them room to move and inject themselves when they see opportunity.
Use Thaiday earlier and for longer, he is unbelievable! Glad to see he's over his form.
Did anyone even see Eastwood touch the ball yesterday? He should inject himself more.
McGuire has to go! Boo hoo, go to France McGuire, the sooner the better. I think Stagg is even better than him. And Carlaw was benched? Ridiculous, he was our best player v the Tigers.

Going to the Melbourne game, hopefully they can find a little bit of form and put it together. IMO the players are mentally fried and jinxed by the "hoodoo" crap. They need to get over it and play the way they can!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Manda4Broncos said:
And Carlaw was benched? Ridiculous, he was our best player v the Tigers.

Fair enough on the benching. That is making up for the 2 yrs of Jane doing absolutely bugger all!

salivor

First Grade
Dazzat said:
Obviously hit a sore spot Salivor ... ouch!

Go look up the definition of fair-weather because like most of your opinions, your rather delluded as to it's meaning. It's not a comment you just throw around at supporters for having a differing opinion to yours. Your not worth my time for going down that track so as I've said, I've got no intention to converse with you any further.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Being critical is not being a fairweather supporter. Being critical means that you CARE about what is happening in the club. I think I speak for most on here when I say the most disappointing thing is that we are losing games we should win. We have 10+ SOO and test internationals an we can't beat a Tigers team withought their 2 best players and a Canberra team. Sorry that is just not good enough for me. Something has to be changed and frankly it is Bennett. He has been a great servant for the club but a new coach could be what we need! John Lang would be a great option!

Dazzat

First Grade
After Queensland lost game one of this year's series, there were so many 'caring' Queenslanders bucketing the team - sack Lockyer, move Lockyer, sack Meninga etc. These were the same 'caring' Queenslanders who were cheering Lockyer when he lifted the trophy. I know because I was one of them. I realised that this is being a short-sighted (OK fair weather is a little strong) supporter; and I've decided to change. (Some deluded supporters probably credit themselves and their criticism for lifiting the team).

As someone said before on another post, the club is judged over the whole season, not just a few games. Well, guess what, the whole season isn't over yet.

Supporters have a limited knowledge of the internal workings of the club and the players' lives, which is the way it should be, so the judgements we make about performance are often ill-informed, short-sighted and always in hind-sight.

Look at high performance cars. I don't have any trouble with the mechanicals in my Commodore, but the mechanic that works on the drag racer only needs a small slip up and there's an explosion on the track. Joey Johns came out today saying that the game today is faster, harder than ever. One little oversight by a coach or player can be costly. One player not at his peak means a loss.

A team missing a regular halfback/hooker/fullback ... well I'm willing to give them some time.

Also, how the heck does Darren Lockyer call the plays with his voice??? Who could hear that, particularly when the crowd is going off?

Bennett's 5 premierships earnt him wriggle room. He has now spent that room.

He's not getting the most out of the roster, he's had 5 years grace.

It's not so much we haven't won since 2000. It's that we haven't been close, and with a roster we command, that's simple underperforming.

Ponkers

Juniors
I'm starting to think that he shouldn't of been allowed this wiggle room. As a lot of the forum-goers are saying, maybe any idiot could of taken the Broncos of the 90s to 5 premierships. A decent coach may have even faired better. We had A LOT of talent, and still do. The weakness in this team is Bennett.

Then again, maybe Bennett is sticking to his old formula, which worked years ago but is now out-dated and ineffective.

Manda4Broncos

Juniors
i agree, we should be more supportive! but it's so frustrating.

and anyway, aren't we all goin for the same team? what happens if the broncos form turns around and we make it through to the finals winning some and losing some...do we sack benny then? what if we win the GF, do we still call for his head? or is it only if we don't come out of this slump. I still think he's a good coach as anyone else (except for craig bellamy, wishing wishing wishing we could have him and benny together again)