In Memoriam

Discussion in 'Pro Wrestling' started by nöyd, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Life's Good

Life's Good Coach

RIP Mean Gene. A massive part of my WWF fix late on a Thursday night in the 80's. I still get a laugh thinking about the Iron Sheik saying 'listen, Gene Mean......'.

2. Matt23

Matt23 Moderator Staff Member

RIP Mean Gene

Iafeta likes this.
  3. nöyd

nöyd Moderator Staff Member

rip Mean Gene

Didn't one of the background interview sets fall on him years ago, prompting him to drop the magic on camera?

4. Iafeta

Iafeta Referee

I literally went “Oh No” when I just read the news on Twitter.

Gene was outstanding. His ability to use subtle humour to goad a wrestler was awesome. Later on he was less tolerant and it was funny to see him on Nitro say things like “in English pal” when Juventud cut a promo in Espanol, and a few times when he goes “get out of the way of the camera” or “cameras over there pal”...

Rest In Peace Gene. The voice of not only a generation, but frankly imo the voice of sports entertainment

Big Pete and Life's Good like this.
  5. Big Pete

Big Pete Referee

How many amazing promos started off with the man's name? Whether it was Hogan or Flair, Mean Gene played host to the biggest stars the industry has seen and elevated all of them with his presence. While he quickly garnered a reputation as a sleazy salesman with his hotlines, I felt Mean Gene gave WCW that gravitas it needed and helped a lot of the younger talent like Jericho and Eddie find their way on the mic.

One of my favourite developments was seeing Mean Gene host the Vintage Collection on Sundays. He was a fantastic curator and his presence gave the show that retro feeling it desperately needed. Of all the backstage robots they've brought through, the only one with any personality happens to be the one who worked alongside Gene on Vintage Collection - Renee Young.

Life's Good likes this.
  6. Evil_Mush

Evil_Mush Juniors

Very sad news to hear, definitely one of the key voices of my childhood (and teenagehood for the WCW stuff in the late 90s).

That would be the infamous Summerslam 89 "F*ck It!" just as he was about to interview Rude and Heenan! That event was one of my earliest wrestling memories so blew my mind seeing this outtake relatively recently (in the youtube era).

Whether it was Hogan's "Well let me tell ya something Mean Gene...", Flair's "Meean.... BY GOD!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!... Gene!!!", Sid Justice's "Shut up you fat bald headed little oaf!!!" or correcting Bret Hart on Psychosis/Hypnosis, he has been a part of so many iconic moments with the silky smooth voice and quick wit, will be forever grateful for his contribution to the wrestling biz and for my entertainment throughout the years!!!!

RIP Gene-O

Life's Good and nöyd like this.
  7. nöyd

nöyd Moderator Staff Member

8. Valheru

Valheru First Grade

"You can reach us on the hotline at 1900-909-9900... That's one nine hundred, nine oh nine, ninety nine hundred!"

A phone number I'll never forget.

Big Pete and Life's Good like this.
  9. Life's Good

Life's Good Coach

It was a quiet day at work so I looked back at a bunch of old interviews(WWE site, ESPN etc.)and he just got it. I mean, he knew how to play up for the interview, turn dead serious or simply stand there holding a certain face.

This one is a classic.

Iafeta likes this.
  10. Iafeta

Iafeta Referee

10000%. He knew how to play “it”, depending on what it was required. He could lead Ric Flair into a playboy life of the millionaire promo, he could have Andre wrap his hand around his head, he could try to take a Hogan promo while he’s super high on coke and keep that baby rolling, he knew how to show contempt for Hogan at Bash at the Beach 96, whatever you wanted he could do it.

I think he will be up there rehashing promos with Piper, talking about those WWF shows with Bobby, Lord Alfred and Gorilla, looking on with mystique at Andre, laughing at the maniacal nature of Macho and the beauty of Liz, the man absolutely stretches across so much great history. He’s generally been at the epicentre of it all.

What a massive legend.

And what a talent. I’ve watched back and seen really proficient commentators like Mike Tenay, or Tony Sckeeo vone A, and they just don’t bring out the craziness and charisma of the wrestlers like Gene could. The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be would be perfect for him frankly.

Tommy Smith, Life's Good and Valheru like this.
  11. Marshall_magic

Marshall_magic Coach

Although a it's not his most well known work, I actually love rewatching the Wrestlemania X7 gimmick battle royal for Mean Gene & The Brain on commentary. The fact they're both grinning like the butcher's dogs makes it all the more enjoyable.

Iafeta likes this.
  12. The Vaulting Violinist

The Vaulting Violinist Juniors

super sad news. i must admit, i took him a bit for granted during the years but when i reflect on his body of work its hard to think of someone that surprasses it. the wwf would never have become what it did without him.

RIP Gene