What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

India now has it's own comp

milton

Juniors
Are we sure this was played in India?
I’m not trying to be negative or anything but the standard of play seemed to be very good for first timers.

yakstorm

First Grade
I’m not trying to be negative or anything but the standard of play seemed to be very good for first timers.

I'm very sure based upon the facts:
  • Barry O'Farrell was present (and has been in India since Feb 2020) and tweeted about it
  • The Australian High Commission to India was also at there and promoted it.
  • The Kolkata based Telegraph newspaper covered it.
If it was a con, they have gone to a lot of effort, especially as the kids playing all look of Indian decent, and the venue they picked is surrounded by trees you find in India.

Coastbloke

Bench

Some of the passing was pretty slick. Maybe they have yawnion training or experience?

langpark

First Grade
I think to say "has their own comp" is premature, after a one-off 9s tournament. But certainly a promising start and good luck to them.

I am pretty certain they were union players, it is clear in the video a lot of them know what they are doing. Really good standard actually, well done to them!

yakstorm

First Grade
https://www.asiapacificrl.com/2021/01/31/broncos-win-bangalore-leg-of-indian-championship/

The Bengaluru (Bangalore) Broncos have won Rugby League India’s first piece of silverware on offer in 2021 after defeating the Kolkata based Jaguars in Saturday’s Final.

The Jaguars, who won Rugby League India’s inaugural mini-tournament last December, travelled over 1,800km to take part in the second leg held at the SPT Sports Academy in Sarjapur over the weekend.

Joining the Jaguars at the event were three teams from the state of Karnataka, including eventual Champions, the Broncos.

Additional legs will be announced by Rugby League India over the coming weeks.

Rugby League India was established in early 2020 to help with the development of Rugby League across the nation. The Federation has established regional associations in West Bengal, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Jammu & Kashmir.

adamkungl

Immortal
The Sydney-based Indian team played some quality football last time I watched them too. Some big lads. Beat one of the Latino nations pretty comfortably

yakstorm

First Grade
If Rugby League India is successful in establishing a foothold in India, one thing they'll be able to take advantage to help fast track their growth is the large number of Indians based in established Rugby League markets like Australia, New Zealand and even Fiji.

Whilst it won't turn them into an international powerhouse, it does provide a nice well trained playing pool to also draw from, but most importantly it gives pathways to helping fund and support initiatives back home (a bit like what Lebanon, Greece and Chile have all done).

girvie

Staff member
If Rugby League India is successful in establishing a foothold in India, one thing they'll be able to take advantage to help fast track their growth is the large number of Indians based in established Rugby League markets like Australia, New Zealand and even Fiji.

Whilst it won't turn them into an international powerhouse, it does provide a nice well trained playing pool to also draw from, but most importantly it gives pathways to helping fund and support initiatives back home (a bit like what Lebanon, Greece and Chile have all done).

There have been some talented players of Indian background come through the NSW Junior Reps system. Some of them have been of Fijian Indian background so I am not sure whether they will qualify for India.

adamkungl

Immortal

Also - India is crucial, and could actually be the key, to getting League or League 9s into the Commonwealth Games
RL needs a presence in every continent to be ever considered. Africa is coming along with quite a few. Canada and Jamaica in North America (and South America only has 1, Guyana, so wouldn't be a factor)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Obviously we are unlikely to get the Kangaroos interested, but a tour in areas like this would be great for an Under-21s national team (we could even get the U21s origin teams over for a blend of NSW-Qld & Aus-India).

Would also be great to get A few Asian teams into the World 9s. Most would obviously get smashed, but i dont think they would might and it might get some interest im their home countries

adamkungl

Immortal
Obviously we are unlikely to get the Kangaroos interested, but a tour in areas like this would be great for an Under-21s national team (we could even get the U21s origin teams over for a blend of NSW-Qld & Aus-India).

Would also be great to get A few Asian teams into the World 9s. Most would obviously get smashed, but i dont think they would might and it might get some interest im their home countries

Used to be that sports were spread around the world by touring. There's still potential for that I think - doesn't need to be a professional team (in fact, would probably harm it), but a good group of players willing to run clinics and play a few games in different cities, get in the local media, maybe get some famous faces on board to help promote it