What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous jersey

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Come on now, Mary needs something and/or someone to blame for our losses this could just be the ammunition he needs, have you no compassion man?
Yeah nah, anyone with half a brain doesn’t blame superstition for a loss.

Coffs dragon

Bench
The indigenous jersey is a design from an Aboriginal artist to represent their culture.

Maybe think about that before you go belittling how it looks.
That’s fair enough & it’s only personal opinions of the different jerseys that our team get to wear representing the mighty Dragons.
I’m also no fan of the current big red tomato away jersey that somehow is suppose to represent the Illawarra region by some boring design artist.

RedVDave

First Grade
Yeah nah, anyone with half a brain doesn’t blame superstition for a loss.

Bogeys are a thing haven't won in Melbourne this century.

Took us 14 years to beat the Raiders in Canberra.

Having a bogey jersey isn't totally out of the realms of possibility.

Brutalitops

Juniors
The problem is that you are not bending the knee to your politically correct overlords. Now say you like it, kulak.
Another brilliant post in the long and storied nutjob 32-post history of Splinters.

This bloke almost gives Frank Facer a run for his money

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
That’s fair enough & it’s only personal opinions of the different jerseys that our team get to wear representing the mighty Dragons.
I’m also no fan of the current big red tomato away jersey that somehow is suppose to represent the Illawarra region by some boring design artist.
See, I thought I’d be polite to put out a general comment on the crap being spouted in here, rather than calling out the small minded, but thanks for putting your hand up.

Firstly, no one has said anything about Illawarra vs St George as part of the indigenous round, so not sure why you see it this way.

Secondly, happy for you to approach any aboriginal artist and tell them their work is a “Where’s Wally painting” and see how far that gets you.

You’ve not only outed yourself as a racist, you’ve doubled down on it.

Bravo.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Bogeys are a thing haven't won in Melbourne this century.

Took us 14 years to beat the Raiders in Canberra.

Having a bogey jersey isn't totally out of the realms of possibility.
So you’re blaming Melbourne for that?

Or Canberra?

RedVDave

First Grade
So you’re blaming Melbourne for that?

Or Canberra?
tenor.gif

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No mate, you’ve made the call..

You’re blaming poor performance on a football field upon a jersey that’s designed to acknowledge the first people of this country..

How in any logical state of mind can you say that’s correct?

avocado

Juniors
See, I thought I’d be polite to put out a general comment on the crap being spouted in here, rather than calling out the small minded, but thanks for putting your hand up.

Firstly, no one has said anything about Illawarra vs St George as part of the indigenous round, so not sure why you see it this way.

Secondly, happy for you to approach any aboriginal artist and tell them their work is a “Where’s Wally painting” and see how far that gets you.

Bravo.
Hold on a minute. Him saying it looks like a Where’s Wally painting doesn’t make him a racist.

RedVDave

First Grade
No mate, you’ve made the call..

You’re blaming poor performance on a football field upon a jersey that’s designed to acknowledge the first people of this country..

How in any logical state of mind can you say that’s correct?

No I really wasn't, I was merely stating the facts we are yet to win in the aforementioned jerseys, is it a conscience? Is it a bogey? Who knows? But either way it remains true. It's a shame because I like the indigenous jerseys and the sentiment behind, I like some of the away jerseys to but I don't like this years this one at all.

I was having a bit of a fun for someone who often takes the mick I thought you'd have a bit more of a sense of humor but instead you accused me of having half a brain when I was merely joking (as we all have) about Mary's list of excuses.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No I really wasn't, I was merely stating the facts we are yet to win in the aforementioned jerseys, is it a conscience? Is it a bogey? Who knows? But either way it remains true. It's a shame because I like the indigenous jerseys and the sentiment behind, I like some of the away jerseys to but I don't like this years this one at all.

I was having a bit of a fun for someone who often takes the mick I thought you'd have a bit more of a sense of humor but instead you accused me of having half a brain when I was merely joking (as we all have) about Mary's list of excuses.
I love having a bit of of fun, so apologies if I’m coming across too harsh..

But I know where the line is when it comes to cultural misappropriation..

And if our mate Mary ever used an indigenous jersey as an excuse for poor performance I’d expect the club to kick his arse to the kerb..

In the grand scheme of things, the NRL indigenous round is a small token in terms of recognition.. Hell, I’d be happy if we played one game in purple and blue if that was what we had to do for that round..

It’s one round, we should embrace it and understand why we’re doing it..

Coffs dragon

Bench

Bravo.
No I’m not a racist Muzby and I actually have some beautiful Aboriginal art that is framed and hanging in my house that I admire. Everybody has different taste and appreciation of artwork. My personal opinion of this particular jersey was it was not one of my favourites.

As for the Illawarra stuff, I just believe the current away jersey is the worst & most bland design in the JV history IMO.
For your information, whilst I was born and bred in the St.George district, I am a firm believer in the Joint Venture. As a matter of fact it is my personal opinion that the Dragons should have 1 home only and 1 home ground and that should be in the ILLAWARRA region of Wollongong.
Does that make me a racist or just someone that has a personal opinion & view of things within our great club (United as one)
I hope you now don’t perceive me as a racist against Kogarah & it’s multicultural residents for my personal view on where I see our future direction belongs.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Apology for what? I don’t like the design - other designs in the past we’re ok . Not a fan of this version.
Hey, you're the one who said sorry.

I like the whale. And incorporating the boomerang to form a red V is cool. Plus there's more than meets the eye in the overall design. I also like the fact that it was designed in consultation and recognition of local indigenous people of the Dharawal Country.

But each to their own. Which part of the jersey don't you like? There's obviously a lot going on in the design. So you just don't like all of it?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No I’m not a racist Muzby and I actually have some beautiful Aboriginal art that is framed and hanging in my house that I admire. Everybody has different taste and appreciation of artwork. My personal opinion of this particular jersey was it was not one of my favourites.
Was it Seinfeld where one of the characters said they weren’t racist because they had a black friend?

As for the Illawarra stuff, I just believe the current away jersey is the worst & most bland design in the JV history IMO.
For your information, whilst I was born and bred in the St.George district, I am a firm believer in the Joint Venture. As a matter of fact it is my personal opinion that the Dragons should have 1 home only and 1 home ground and that should be in the ILLAWARRA region of Wollongong.
Does that make me a racist or just someone that has a personal opinion & view of things within our great club (United as one)
I hope you now don’t perceive me as a racist against Kogarah & it’s multicultural residents for my personal view on where I see our future direction belongs.
As for the Illawarra business, it’s an alternate jersey. Not a representation of Illawarra.

Every team has an alternate.

Indigenous round helps provide awareness and funding to help close the gap in areas such as health, education and economy between Australia’s first people and the rest of the country.

It’s a great initiative & a way to help us all learn a little more about the land on which we stand.

It’s funny, we often refer to our 11 in a row streak as an driver of our club culture.. But whilst that streak was happening, in society we hadn’t even officially acknowledged aborigines as people?

We’ve only been doing that for a bit over 50 years. Still plenty of culture to change in our society.