1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL & NRLW along with the match programme for the coming weekend of action in the NRL Finals, NRLW, Challenge Cup, Super League, NZRL and the Toulouges Nines!

In this week's edition Paul Jobber goes one-on-one with retired NRL match official Gavin Badger, Rick Edgerton looks at some of the legendary halves pairings as Penrith pair Nathan Cleary & Jarome Luai ascend to potential greatness, and we look at a world of rugby league this coming weekend with Steve Mascord.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Finals Week 3, NRLW Round 3, Challenge Cup Final, Super League Round 16, NZRL Premiership and Toulouges Nines programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 21 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Informal meet and Greet

Discussion in 'Go ahead!...ask us anything!' started by Generalzod, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Generalzod

Generalzod Referee

I’ve applied for a job and to my amazement I got a response back for a informal meet and greet, I’ve haven’t been to a job interview in ages...Is this technically a job interview?? some advise will be appreciated...

2. Eion

Eion First Grade

Every time they talk to you it’s an interview. With any luck though it’s an indication they are human and won’t ask a bunch of stupid behavioural questions and psych tests.

SpaceMonkey likes this.
  3. Life's Good

Life's Good Coach

As long as you didn’t apply for the job through Grindr then you’ll be fine mate(not that there’s anything wrong with that).

jargan83 and Generalzod like this.
  4. Generalzod

Generalzod Referee

Actually it was in Gumtree jobs within the St George and Sutherland Shire areas...

5. Parra

Parra Referee

Yes it is. Indicator of a decent company - much better process that formal interviews and a chance to get to know each other rather than formalities and set questions.

SpaceMonkey and Life's Good like this.
  6. Haffa

Haffa Guest

Was the job with the hiring company or with a recruitment company? Recruiters tend to do meet and greets to get you on the books so they can pimp you out and get referral fees etc. if it’s with the company then it’s a proper interview.

7. Generalzod

Generalzod Referee

No it was a proper job advert..

Haffa likes this.
  8. veggiepatch1959

veggiepatch1959 First Grade

Are you the only person attending this meet and greet?

The last job I went for held an initial information session where there were about 10 others in attendance.

That was followed by a three day unpaid introductory training with a few aptitude tests and an initial interview.

Get through that and you have two weeks of full time fully paid training.then you're on the job full time.

I've been there since May.

sensesmaybenumbed likes this.
  9. myrrh ken

myrrh ken First Grade

Depends I think.

If its a small operation, it might be the "interview" itself. If its a bigger operation, they might just be screening to see if you're a nutter, and could be a precursor to the interview proper.

In any event I would def go in prepared as if its a real interview - talk about yourself, your achievements, what you know about them and the industry etc. The conversation might be a bit more casual but they are still evaluating you as a potential employee and have not made their mind up yet.

if its in Stains territory, don't wear your sharks tie.

Life's Good and Generalzod like this.
  10. Generalzod

Generalzod Referee

I’m the only person..

11. Life's Good

Life's Good Coach

Sorry mate, I couldn’t resist.

My experience is that the informal meet & greet is quite common. I know in my field(sales, marketing, retail) that this is very much a first step in the process. I’ve done it on many occasions particularly to see what a candidate is like in just a casual setting without the fear of the whole ‘what are your strengths/weaknesses, best achievements, blah, blah’ line of questioning that you get a formal interview. I know I would prefer to test the working relationship potential in that sort of setting(also, you see the candidates interaction with staff in a coffee shop for example).
    Also, it might also reflect the company in that they are quite small & do things without the layers of BS you’d get with a larger company.
    Not sure if this is of use to you but hopefully just adds to the picture you’re trying to form.
    Irrespective, good luck & if its a job you want I hope it all works out.

Parra likes this.
  12. Generalzod

Generalzod Referee

You don’t have to apologise, thanks for the advise..

Life's Good likes this.
  13. veggiepatch1959

veggiepatch1959 First Grade

OK.

And best of luck mate.

sensesmaybenumbed and Generalzod like this.
  14. Parra

Parra Referee

It is good advice. It may be a step in the process that leads to another meeting like this. The bit about how you interact with others is very valid. Key is to be yourself. You are both looking for cultural/natural fit which is best for everyone involved.

Life's Good likes this.
  15. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

Treat every phone call, email or informal meet & greet as a potential interview..

Last company I worked for was big on the informal meeting, it’s was a great chance to get to know the real person away from the formal interview situation..

There were quite a number of times my boss sent me or my colleagues out on coffee or lunch meetings with potential candidates as a “last check” far down the recruitment process..

The plan was to see how the person would act around their future team mates & also how they’d act when they thought the job was in the bag..

Twice there were occasions where the candidate lost the job in these meetings.. Once for just sitting there bagging their current workplace all lunch, the other time because they were outright rude to the waitress for no reason..

The long and the short of it - be yourself, but act professional.

Parra, SpaceMonkey and Generalzod like this.
  16. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Referee

It’s an interview in the sense that it’s all part of the hiring process, and you’ll be judged on how you present. The main difference is how you’d carry yourself. You probably don’t want to show up wearing a suit (as it’s specifically informal), instead wear something casual but smart. Don’t walk in with a resume folder under your arm, but do all the same prep you’d do for a job interview in terms of preparing for questions. And be really mindful of how you interact with everyone else around you in the venue, particularly staff. It’s your social skills that are being assessed here.

Generalzod likes this.
  17. Knight76

Knight76 Juniors

Informal meeting will likely tell an employer more about the candidate than a structured interview anyway.

Everyone has the pre-loaded answers to those interview questions. Whats your biggest weakness - I'm a bit of a perfectionist yadda yadda.

Informal setting gets the candidate more relaxed and off guard a bit. See them in their more natural selves.

Anyway, as above. Any time your talking to your prospective employer, it's an interview.

Where is the meet and greet at? At their business or somewhere else?

Life's Good and Generalzod like this.
  18. ___

___ Juniors

It's an interview mate, just not a formal one. This means they'll usually pick the person they like most.

Generalzod likes this.
  19. Generalzod

Generalzod Referee

Interview done and dusted. Unfortunately the job requirements advertised was not what was asked at interview. They were asking about AZURE.?? Which was not mentioned in the job ad. Oh well go shell!!!

20. Incorrect

Incorrect First Grade

What sort of role were you expecting it to be out of interest. I'm guessing you're in IT?? What sorts of roles are you looking for??