What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury bittersweet for Sharks Tupou

coolumsharkie

Referee
http://www.sharks.com.au/news-display/Injury-Bittersweet-for-Sharks-Tupou/57495

Being injured sucks…. It really does.
You work so hard in the pre season and after a few games, bang, your knee’s gone.
Injuries are so mentally draining. All you can think about is that next game you’ll get the chance to run out onto the field with the boys. If you get that chance.
This season has been pretty hard in particular because the team is going so well. Forget rehab. Forget the early mornings. Forget the physio appointments. That’s the easy stuff.
It’s those very times when you’re sitting on the sideline watching on. Those times where you feel helpless and unable to contribute or help the boys out on the field. That’s the hardest thing about recovering from an injury. Those times where you come to games dressed up in your suit, but never get to change out of it.
That’s not to say I didn’t know rehab would be hard. It just feels a whole lot more real. Even at training, you just want to be out on the paddock getting hammered by the trainers, not stuck inside the gym, training by yourself.
I had the exact same surgery as Nathan Stapleton where the surgeon replaced the ligament with a deceased person's Achilles tendon. The first two weeks were a struggle, because you’re still in pain and you don’t see anything getting better, but after a while you see the improvement and that really starts to motivate you to work your way back. It’s an incentive to train harder.
Suffering a torn ACL though has given me some more time. More time to think about life in general, think about training and working towards how I want to return to the field.
I’ve also had the chance to spend more time with my beautiful wife and two little boys. That’s been a big positive. You get to do those little things with the family that you don’t necessarily normally get to do because you’re always coming home from training late. I’ve certainly appreciated that time and haven’t wasted it. It honestly shows that there is more to life than rugby league.
I watched the Origin game last week and was really nervous about it all. I don’t know why, but I was literally on the edge of my seat. It felt weird because Queensland have been so dominant in previous years that no matter how big a lead the Blues had, the Maroons were capable of anything. The game looked much faster, intense and brutal too, it was a cracking game and I know the decider will be even better.
Away from footy I’ve been watching a fair bit of the NBA. My favourite player would have to be Rajon Rondo. He’s all class and I love it when all the mad little players run rings around their opponents. I’m barracking for the Heat in the finals, only because they fell short last season. I don’t support a team as such. Well I did, it was the Spurs, but they let me down last season so I ditched them. Bad fan I know. Lucky they didn’t make it through this season - they were certainly close and there would’ve been plenty of egg on my face if they’d proved me wrong! Westbrook is another player I enjoy watching. I’ve actually got game three taped, I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, so hopefully I’ll find some time tonight for it.
Lastly, I’d like to give a shout out to Boogie, Jayson Bukuya. It’s great to see him playing so well and ripping in, it didn’t surprise me one bit. He’s been waiting for a while now to get his chance, and that’s only because of injury, but he’s certainly taken his opportunity and it shows what a bit of game time can do for a player. He’s come back from some horrific injuries and his form certainly motivates me to come back and play just as good as he is at the moment. He’s turned into a great player and I’m sure plenty of teams will be doing a lot of video on him now.
Anyway, that’s enough for me. I haven’t written something like this in a while… my eyes are going blurry looking at the screen!
My goal is to be back for the Roosters clash in round 18 but I know I won't just walk back into the team easily. It will be a challenge but one I can't wait for. Thanks for the support everyone.
Toops.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Onya Toops.

Could provide real impact in the finals for us.

Carney will find him.

GreatWhiteShark

Juniors
Flanagan reckons Tupou's going to have a BIG impact late in the season for us. Good to have another attacking option and X-factor (hopefully) entering the finals.

sladden road

Juniors
Let's think about how much better Pom is going with quality ball....
Imagine Toops with some holes to run and quality ball..I am happy he's coming back with plenty of time to get his legs before the finals...
Imagine the poor bastard having to play with some of the halves we've had..
Give him a break.

Let's think about how much better Pom is going with quality ball....
Imagine Toops with some holes to run and quality ball..I am happy he's coming back with plenty of time to get his legs before the finals...
Imagine the poor bastard having to play with some of the halves we've had..
Give him a break.

/hugs

Latest posts