What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury curse - theory

Hollywood

Juniors
As it's the flavour of the month and fresh on our lips...I'm as despressed as anyone about the massive injury toll the Dragons are suffering again this season...but considering it, this is the conclusion I've drawn

Despite the gun players we have in the club, are we at a point where the club should consider such stars if they are never on the field for us?....

Recent history seems to have proven that once a Rugby League player has suffered a long term season ending injury, they continue to be plagued by injury, regardes of whether it's an injury to same part of the body or an unrelated one, they seem incapable of ever shaking the injury blues (in most cases).

Here are many names I can think of that have suffered season ending injuries in the past 3 or 4 seasons, and have spent equal or more time on the sidelines than on the field in that time since returning from a major injury, at very least they are troubled with injury more often than not during a season....

O'Davis, Hughes, Johns, A.MacDougall, Kennedy, Ross, Gasnier, Ryles, Bailey, Barrett, Thompson, Firman

Timmins seems to have got away from his injury blues, but even he for a long period struggled with various injuries.

Using some Dragons players as examples, (touch wood) you don't often see Cooper, Blacklock, Hornby and Riddell struggle with constant injuries concerns, and they are the guys that seem to play majority of the games each season. None of these guys that I can recall have ever had a serious season ending injury to date. Yet players like Barrett (since last year), Bailey and Thompson have struggled to be consistently fully fit.

Moral of the story..........do players whom have suffered long term serious injuries offer the same value (in terms of playing time) again after their injury? my theory suggest not!

I hope to god my theory is just a theory, and is proven wrong by the end of either this season or next season......but I've just got to start to wonder, for the sake of any nrl clubs' success, is it wise to hold on to injury plagued stars?.

Certainly Newcastle and the Dragons, the two sides who year after year suffer the worst injury tolls, are often missing the same star players year after year...game to game! :roll:

Welcome to discuss!

Dragon

Coach
Its a good theory.

But the real moral of the story, if any of those mentioned gave half of what Timmins does....well, they might be able to hold their head up.

GO TIMMINS!!!

Acka

Coach
I reckon someone involved with the club must have broken a mirror and probably during the 1999/2000 off season as 1999 was pretty much our last injury free year and look how well we did that year. :lol:

Ribs

Bench
Thats a true theory I suppose...

But, if you start cutting injury prone players from your club, you will find that players will start looking after their livelihoods and avoid getting injured, which means not putting in 100 percent.

Barrett, on the other hand, has not put in a half season now for two years and if this year goes the same way, Id seriously look at releasing him. He is not even close to giving value for that kind of money and with Kite and Hornby having reasons to up their salaries, Id hate to lose one or both to keep a player who did nothing more than take up a seat in the grandstand.

I think its fair to say he can take our f*cking doctor with him too.

Latest posts