What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury outs Johns again

Frederick

Staff member
Injury outs Johns again
April 16, 2006

Newcastle 16 Cowboys 18

NEWCASTLE captain Andrew Johns could be sidelined for up to two weeks after suffering ankle ligament damage in his side's thrilling loss to North Queensland at EnergyAustralia Stadium tonight.

Despite rolling his left ankle in the 32rd minute of game, Johns played through the pain after having his foot re-strapped at half-time. Knights doctor Neil Halpin said Johns was an "outside chance" of playing against Melbourne next Saturday night, but it's likely he'll be sidelined for one to two weeks.

Johns was too upset to speak after the match, only offering an "I'm shattered" when asked about the injury in the sheds.

The sellout match was dubbed a possible grand final preview due to the scintillating early-season showings of both teams, with halfbacks Johns and Thurston receiving plenty of media attention as the form players in the game.

Despite Johns' injury, the match lived up to the hype, with Thurston scoring a crucial try and the Newcastle playmaker calling the shots for the Knights in his club record 230th game.

While all eyes were on the halfbacks, it was excitement machine Matt Bowen who made the match-winning play, scoring a spectacular solo try six minutes from full-time to steal victory for the visitors.

With seemingly nothing on, Bowen chipped ahead from the opposition's 30-metre line and regathered before stepping past Knights fullback Milton Thaiday to score.

"It was just one of those top-of-my head things that come to me now and then," Bowen said.

Cowboys coach Graham Murray described it as "pretty special".

"There are few blokes that can do it at that point in time – he's one of them."

Both coaches agreed that Thurston had done enough to deserve Test selection.

"My philosophy is that with the Australian side you have to give them the best players in the competition in this point in time," Murray said.

"He is one the best players in this competition."

Newcastle coach Michael Hagan agreed.

"He's one of the form players of the competition ... I thought we handled him today probably as well as we could.

"I think he's certainly in the top 13 or 17 in the country.

"Whether or not he gets a start, he's in the top echelon of players at the moment."

With the attacking talents of Bowen, Johns, Thurston and Danny Buderus on show, a capacity crowd of 26,048 were expecting an avalanche of tries, but the defence of both sides was a hallmark of the game.

And in a dramatic twist, referee Paul Simpkins pulled his calf muscle in the 28th minute and was unable to continue, pitching little-known whistleblower Tony Des Las Heras into the fray.

In what was an unexpected first grade debut after earlier officiating in Jersey Flegg, Des Las Heras caned the home side, with the Cowboys winning the penalty count 12-6.

Despite injuries to Kirk Reynoldson (calf) and knocks to Brian Carney Johns, the Knights took command after scoring tries a minute either side of half-time.

But a try to Thurston in the 73rd minute kept them in the game and then Bowen's scorcher proved the difference.

NEWCASTLE 16
(D Buderus G Carmont M Gidley tries A Johns 2 goals)
NORTH QUEENSLAND 18 (M Bowen M Sargent J Thurston tries J Thurston 3 goals) at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
Referee: Paul Simpkins (replaced by Tony Des Las Heras).
Crowd: 26,048.

AAP
LINK

:(
At least it's nothing too serious, but still
:(

benno

Juniors
i doubt they'll risk him...mullen grew in confidence as the premmy game progrest 2day...if he's out(johns) then say it 2moz or tuesdy..so the boys can derive a plan of attack without joeys shadow.

northey

First Grade
please let him be ok. cause we are going to cop it from the media again, about joey not being here and knights can't win with out him, it does wonders for the boys, they are constantly told they can't win with out him

knights9

Juniors
Hopefully he's back by rd 8 versus the rabbitohs becasue i got free tickets and i want to see tear apart the Bunnies.

But anyway i think we'll do ok next week without him.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
If he is in any doubt at all, I would prefer him to not play next week and be ready for the Rabbits game, then play next week and then be out for another 4 weeks.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
northey said:
please let him be ok. cause we are going to cop it from the media again, about joey not being here and knights can't win with out him, it does wonders for the boys, they are constantly told they can't win with out him

It does wonders for the boys does it??? If you say so.......

PrideKnight

Bench
the crusade delegation will still be going to melbourne if he's not playing, but god i dread the hume hwy if he doesnt play and we lose....the f3 home tonight was bad enough....

Roy

Juniors
i dont think he will play against the rabbits, if he plays for aus in the anzac test match wont he miis that game.

Alex28

Coach
northey said:
They will cop it because simply they can't win without him.

No Johns = No Direction = No Win

It's harsh and it sh*ts me as well, but we all know it is the truth...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Alex28 said:
They will cop it because simply they can't win without him.

No Johns = No Direction = No Win

We can't win without him at the moment. That will change in the coming years, so why not start this week.

RABK

Referee
I'll head down the F3 full of optimism for a Knights win, with or without Johns. :)

strewth_mate

Bench
It does wonders for the boys does it??? If you say so.......

It must be said that when the media has a particularly directed campaign on the capabilities of a Johns-less Knights in the leadup to a match, they put in a fantastic effort. Doesn't necessarily mean they win, because the direction obviously isn't there, but they really go out to try and make a point and they get rather fired up and you can't deny the media attention does wonders for the enthusiasm of the boys (though as I said, that isn't related to win/lose).

Alex28

Coach
I hope they can mate - seriously. While ever we have a utility player at best as one half, and a very young gifted half who has no experience in guiding a first grade team around as the other half, I can't see how we will ever have any direction given we have a team that relies on being told what to do whenever Johns is on the field.

PrideKnight

Bench
I disagree that the media attention fires them up. its a very common part of the human psyche that when you are told something about yourself enough times, you believe it. they keep getting told they are sh*t without johns, they believe it. wish kurt would read these forums and start to believe he is sh*t. This is the reason i made the point last week that we should not always throw the 3 at johns in KOTW, as he knows hes the best, the other blokes need to believe it of themselves too.

we all know they have the skill and ability to win without him, they just need to believe it.

Alex28

Coach
Then what is the point of voting for KOTW if we don't genuinely vote for the best player on the field? Why even bother having it?

Misanthrope

Staff member

Didn't see much of the 2004 season? We may not have made the eight, but we won our fair share of games without Joey. Sure, we had Kennedy to inspire things - but it seems people are quick to forget that we played near an entire season without Johns and ended up one win short of a finals berth.

PrideKnight

Bench
Alex28 said:
Then what is the point of voting for KOTW if we don't genuinely vote for the best player on the field? Why even bother having it?

we always know hes gunna be the best :p
maybe we should change it too KOTWTIAJ (Knight of the Week That isnt Andrew Johns)