What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury outs Johns again

antonius

Coach
Alex28 said:
That is exactly what I am saying. Clint is becoming a good player but does he do anything to inspire and fire up the forwards like BK did? Absolutely not.

Buderus is half the player without Johns around him. He tends to look a little bit lost (just like Kidley does) when Joey isn't out there dictating terms. Last year we continuously got steamrolled and our rep players - the ones that needed to stand up and be counted at such a time - had nothing in return. He is absolutely a follower.

But thats all they are allowed to do while Johns is on the field...
The same can be said for Matt Gidley, who more than anyone goes missing when Johns isn't around. Have to admit I never thought of it the way you put it Alex, and you may well have hit the nail on the head re what they are allowed to do on field when Johns is there, but I'm sure he (Johns) would want someone to take leadership. Mostly I think we fail because the guys trying to step in for him are trying to do what he does, and that is doomed to failure. The players need to play their normal game, and that includes the halves, instead of trying to pull off miracle Johns plays, keep it simple,rely on the forwards to do what they have been doing and build on that in their own style.

Ben

Bench
When the Knights smashed the Dragons, it wasn't only Johns that won the game. There were another sixteen men on the field that won the game for the Knights. Who is to say that those sixteen can't fire again to put in another strong performance. Without Joey, we lose our attacking flair and exuberence, but that can be easily accounted for by employing a simpler game plan that doesn't involve the long cut out passes.

The Cowboys have a very simply game plan that has worked wonders this year. They get Aaron Payne to run to one side of the play the ball, while Thurston runs on the other side. Payne picks it up draws the markers and defenders across before popping a ball up to Thurston to burst through a hole with Bowen backing up. It is a very simply and effective way the Cowboys get the job done.

Do you remember the Thaiday try against the Dragons. It was a very simply play that just required two men drifting across the field before bullet-passing a short ball to Thaiday running a dead straight line to score under the posts. And i believe it was M.Gidley, not Johns, who layed the final pass for Thaiday to scoot in under the posts.

If we do manage to win without Johns, maybe it won't look as good as our win against the Dragons, but it will do wonders for the team in terms of confidence. Now let's get rid of all this negativity because you better get used to a 'Johns-less' team when he eventually does decide to retire.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Ben, I agree 100% with what you're saying. Already,we've all been lulled into the belief that "Joey's not there, so we're going to lose". Come on people, when Joey hangs up the boots are we all going to say "Joey's not here, so we won't win a game". Of course we wont, we'll be confident the boys can do the job. Why can't they do the job this week?

Frederick

Staff member
This is an extract from an article on SMH.com
Knights doctor Neil Halpin today said Johns would have no problem being fit for the May 5 Test against New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium, and would not even rule the champion No.7 out of Saturday night's trip to Melbourne to take on the Storm.

"Joey hasn't ruled himself out of the Melbourne game yet, he's shown over many years that he'll play with just about anything," Halpin said.

"We'll see how he pulls up towards the end of the week. I've made too many premature judgments about Andrew in the past, about whether he'd be right or not.

"It doesn't look too bad, but it's swollen up a lot today and it's still quite sore.

The Knights will win at least one of the next two games, if not both.

I'd bet my life on it.

BTW Alex, if you think Danny Buderus, the second best footballer on the planet, has no value has a leader, I can lend you a copy of last year's Origin series. Or the 2004 Origin series. Take your pick.

Alex28

Coach
The_Joey_Show said:
BTW Alex, if you think Danny Buderus, the second best footballer on the planet, has no value has a leader, I can lend you a copy of last year's Origin series. Or the 2004 Origin series. Take your pick.
Sorry mate - you lost me at "second best footballer on the planet". He's top ten for sure - but certainly not number 2.

Last years Origin - they got beat in the first game, then Joey came and saved them. Sounds familiar...

Alex28

Coach
Ben - I hear what you are saying, but when do they do stuff by themselves when Johns isn't there? They have to play with some sort of discipline to be able to achieve such things - they don't have that. They need someone to guide them around the field to play like that - they don't have that.

We have many good players in our squad - however we only have one leader. Someone needs to take a stand and set the pace when he isn't there.

History points in the direction of us not having any other leader to fall back on...

RABK

Referee
I think this week we'll win with or without Johns, i base this on absolutely nothing except my believe in the boys and why i'm prepared to travel down the hume at 4am this saturday morning to cheer them on win, lose or draw - because we are the mighty Newcastle Knights.

Go boys, i know you'll do us proud!! :D

Ben said:
When the Knights smashed the Dragons, it wasn't only Johns that won the game. There were another sixteen men on the field that won the game for the Knights. Who is to say that those sixteen can't fire again to put in another strong performance. Without Joey, we lose our attacking flair and exuberence, but that can be easily accounted for by employing a simpler game plan that doesn't involve the long cut out passes.

The Cowboys have a very simply game plan that has worked wonders this year. They get Aaron Payne to run to one side of the play the ball, while Thurston runs on the other side. Payne picks it up draws the markers and defenders across before popping a ball up to Thurston to burst through a hole with Bowen backing up. It is a very simply and effective way the Cowboys get the job done.

Do you remember the Thaiday try against the Dragons. It was a very simply play that just required two men drifting across the field before bullet-passing a short ball to Thaiday running a dead straight line to score under the posts. And i believe it was M.Gidley, not Johns, who layed the final pass for Thaiday to scoot in under the posts.

If we do manage to win without Johns, maybe it won't look as good as our win against the Dragons, but it will do wonders for the team in terms of confidence. Now let's get rid of all this negativity because you better get used to a 'Johns-less' team when he eventually does decide to retire.

Unfortunately the fact of the matter is without Joey we are poor, we may try our guts out but our game suffers greatly without him.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Excellent timing on the injury... A two week injury right when we're about to open up negotiations with Kidley. So after we (more than likely) get drubbed twice, people within the club might work out what we've known all along...

I see nothing but positives coming from this.

antonius

Coach
bluesbreaker said:
Excellent timing on the injury... A two week injury right when we're about to open up negotiations with Kidley. So after we (more than likely) get drubbed twice, people within the club might work out what we've known all along...

I see nothing but positives coming from this.
LOL, a positive from a negative. Love it.

Snoop

Coach
Knightmare said:
If Johns isn't 100% they should start him from the bench

That'll never happen. He was even hobbling a bit at Merewhether Sunday morning before the game. If I were a betting man I would have put money on the Cowboys after that.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Alex28 said:
That is exactly what I am saying. Clint is becoming a good player but does he do anything to inspire and fire up the forwards like BK did? Absolutely not.

Buderus is half the player without Johns around him. He tends to look a little bit lost (just like Kidley does) when Joey isn't out there dictating terms. Last year we continuously got steamrolled and our rep players - the ones that needed to stand up and be counted at such a time - had nothing in return. He is absolutely a follower.

But thats all they are allowed to do while Johns is on the field...

if you say so.....

Buderus won the daily M medal i believe when johns missed almost the entire season!