What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International rl comes to Macau

Gibbo

Juniors
Well i'll be jiggered, games in the Seychelles AND Macau...the game they play in paradise?

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/league/roach-does-block-over-youth-comp/2007/11/12/1194766622616.html?page=2

Meanwhile, Manly have approached Britain's Rugby Football League offering to play England, Scotland or Ireland in Macau in a warm-up match to next year's Rugby League World Cup.
The Sea Eagles, who boast the Viva Macau airline as one of their major sponsors, had initially proposed playing a pre-season match against another NRL club in the former Portuguese colony, but chief executive Grant Mayer said the grand finalists were now looking at an end-of-year game.
"I have written to [RFL boss] Nigel Wood today offering to play one of the home nations before the World Cup," Mayer said.
"It should suit them as it is on their way to Australia and offers them a warm-up match before they get here."

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Seychelles is a long way from Macau man.

Macau is near Hong Kong... you may be thinking of Mauritius.

Good initiative if they do it however.

ucantseeme

Juniors
I suppose they need to do something to spread the gospel. Not really on par with the Souths vs Leeds game in USA, but could turn out good, sell some merchandise.

roughyedspud

Coach
why would england,scotland or ireland want to stop off in macau for a manly sponsorship jolly??...

infact if they gave ireland or scotland $100,000,that would cover their world cup costs, they'll probably do it.....but manly would have to ask scotland's 'SRL' & ireland's 'RLi' instead of wrongly lumping them in with england's 'RFL'

otag

Juniors
that macau airline was a sponsor of the portugal team i think. i know i heard them linked somewhere.

Gibbo

Juniors
what do people on here think about a club side playing an International side? obviously it used to happen all the time on both roo and Lions tours and both ru and soccer have done it in recent years -seem to remember the wallabies getting towelled by a local welsh ru side. Does it have merit and should there be more of it, such as NRL clubs playing Fiji, PNG etc in pre-season trial matches as oppossed to each other or QRL sides?

Gibbo said:
what do people on here think about a club side playing an International side? obviously it used to happen all the time on both roo and Lions tours and both ru and soccer have done it in recent years -seem to remember the wallabies getting towelled by a local welsh ru side. Does it have merit and should there be more of it, such as NRL clubs playing Fiji, PNG etc in pre-season trial matches as oppossed to each other or QRL sides?

One of the best games I ever went to was Parramatta v GB in 1992 - I was only a young fella but I'll always remember it... it was just such a fantastic occassion and, from memory, was pretty much our largest crowd of the year and a rare win in a crappy season... Parramatta winning, Oudenryn beating Offiah in a half-time race... Magic!

SouthsvsNRL

Juniors
I thinks that is great. Great way to promote both Via Macau and give an international flavour to the game. If promoted well we could a decent crowd there. Macau is becoming a very popular destination for the British and Viva Macau are departing full aircraft 3 times a week out of Sydney.

Anything to promote the game is a plus.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Manly should offer to pay for Scotland's or Ireland's flight + match fees of like 50K

one of them would definately go for it IMO