What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Rugby League

screeny

Bench
Kurt Angle said:
You said this....

It seems that the British clubs, for all their influence on the RL Council, all share the common goal of improving the int'l game as a core strategy - something the NRL clubs honestly don't really hold in that high a regard.

How can I not construe that as you believing the ESL clubs have put international RL as a priority development area ?

I'm aware Lewis has given them his vision statement, but I've yet to see any widescale implementation, or even statement of direction that the clubs are actually going to do this. The ESL clubs at the moment seem to paying lip service and nothing more.

It is widely recognised international RL is an untapped revenue stream for the game in Australia, the NRL clubs however aren't going to risk their assets(players) for a dodgy product. Most NRL clubs have partnership programs with other nations, they are offering support. The problem doesn't lie with the NRL clubs, the problem lies with Carr and Love who have NFI on how to channel resource efficiently, or even have a vision on where they want to go.

I mean, yes it is sad, this lot are now in Europe trying to sell to all parties concerned "Does a 6 team WC sound OK to you guys ?".

It's not Fitzgerland, Doust, Richardson, Rogers doing this.

My gentleman's agreement argument was in relation to the lack of top flight players in the ESL, or opportunities available to rising British talent.

I asked a question elsewhere.

This much vaunted 2002(3?) British academy side that beat Australian schoolboys for the first time, how far have they progressed since ?

Are they already looking to be the shining light to lead GB out of the darkness, or is a 36 y/o player like Brad Davis keeping these kids out of a first team sport, because ESL clubs can't risk a losing seaosn on the back of an inexperienced half back ?

First of all, I take my hat off to your quotation expertise...I cannot live with it.

I did say what I said, but perhaps should have added '...core strategy of the RFL' i.e. the clubs accept that the RFL needs to work hard to resurrect the int'l game.

I didn't say the British clubs have the int'l game as their vision statement.

As for widescale implementation, well, what about the European Nations Cup with annual home and away fixtures, with all team populated by SL players with no arguments from the clubs?

Or the implementation of ENC qualifiers (Serbia, Holland and Georgia)?

The clubs agree that if the int'l game improves, so does the cash, which means they can get more central funding and reduce the number of SL fixtures, which they all want, but only if viable.

As for the 2003 Academy size, well, the likes of Bailey, McGuire, the ginger Saints prop, have all kicked on professionally. If GB suffers it's evidence of the Lions' pitiful management and organisation, not of the players' ability.

dimitri

First Grade
I thought ARKO and his mates were going to be organising this!!!!!!!!

Plans have been unveiled for a Rugby League World Cup to be held in Australia in the autumn of 2008, as part of the celebrations to mark the centenary of the Rugby League game in the southern hemisphere.

It will be the first rugby league World Cup since Britain staged the 2000 event and follows Australia's success in hosting the recent rugby union World Cup.

"Given the progress that is being made, we are extremely optimistic about the 2008 World Cup," said Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) chairman Colin Love.

"Anyone at the Cougar World Sevens who saw the skills of PNG, Tonga, France, Russia and Fiji in particular will realise that there is plenty of talent outside of Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain.

"The World Cup will be about supporting that talent and giving those countries something to aim for."

The RLIF also confirmed this year's `Tri-Nations` Series involving Australia, New Zealand and hosts Great Britain, although no dates or venues have been announced.

The teams will play each other twice at the end of the season, with the winners meeting in the final, provisionally arranged for November 20.

The tournament will be repeated in 2005 and 2006, again in Britain, with a possibility of Australia hosting an international tournament in 2007 as a `lead-in` to the World Cup.

The Kangaroos will play a match in the United States on their way over to Britain in October to assist the efforts of former Sydney St George player David Nui in establishing rugby league in America.

The Sydney summit also announced a tournament for "developing players" in New Zealand at the end of 2004 season involving England A and a world youth championship, which the Moscow City Council are keen to host.

"The progress that is being made internationally is indeed encouraging for rugby league," added Love. "The RLIF has received reports on both the European Championship and the Victory Cup which are creating substantial northern hemisphere interest.

"Events such as the Cougar World Sevens and the upcoming World Club Challenge are further assisting to grow the game's profile."

Love has been `re-elected` unopposed as RLIF chairman, with Rugby Football League executive chairman Richard Lewis taking over as `vice-chairman` from Maurice Lindsay, who was made a life member.

New Zealand's Selwyn Pearson was appointed to the RLIF executive in place France's `Jean-Paul` Ferre.

Source: Sporting Life

In a couple of years' time Australia will get to celebrate its own centenary of the Greatest Game of All. And Arko has been appointed to head the committee to plan the festivities, including the 2008 World Cup.
The organisers have no plans to get revenge on Mo and his mates. Despite what happened back in 1995, they and every other Rugby League official from overseas will be welcomed with open arms.
But most welcome will be the fans. The powers-that-be are hoping that there will be an influx of British supporters to match the Barmy Army of the early 1990s, when the Rugby League fans from Old Blighty began a trend that was later taken up by supporters of other sports such as cricket and rugby union.
Of course, none can compare with the original and the best Barmy Army from the ranks of Northern, the Roughyeds, Wire, Trinity, the Chemics, the Robins, the Riversiders (or should that be the Pies) and the others.
You will note that I don’t talk about the Bulls, Wolves, Wildcats etc. I am speaking about the past, speaking about tradition.
That’s the theme of the Centenary celebrations. Our wonderful history. After peace was brokered in the Super League War some of the NRL officials wanted to blot out the past.
"We’re about the future," was their credo.
Sure it was!
But as the great Harry Bath (Balmain, Warrington, St George) once pointed out to a group of journalists: "Those who drink from the well must never forget those who dug the well."
The men behind the whole idea of the centenary celebrations - although they will vigorously refuse to accept any credit - are the respected historians and writers Ian Heads and Geoff Armstrong.
A couple of years ago they approached the League hierarchy with about 50 proposals to consider for the 12 to 14 months of commemoration of the 100 wonderful years.
And, eventually, the League officials agreed.
It will all kick off in August 2007 to celebrate the signing from rugby union of Dally Messenger (right) and the formation of the NSWRL.
In January and February 1908, the pioneer clubs will hold their own festivities to coincide with the 100th anniversaries of the formation of their clubs (no doubt my old mate Glen ‘Bumper’ Dwyer is already planning for Newtown to make a real impact).
The World Cup will be played in March.
And various milestones will be celebrated during the year - the first Premiership games of 1908, the first Test, the inaugural interstate encounter, the departure of the first Kangaroo tour party (the Pioneers).
No one in the League family will be forgotten. There will be a Bush Week, a Fans’ Week, a Players’ Week. Even the referees will get a look in.
There will be a travelling museum that will head around Australia. And a centenary book - the history of the game (it will have to be good to top Heads’ great tome about the NSWRL, 'True Blue').
Australia Post has been approached to issue a commemorative set of stamps. There may also be a celebratory coin, if the Australian Mint comes to the party.
There are worries about the political nature of officialdom in Australia, with some big egos unwilling to defer to others.
Already, there have been mumblings from Queensland that the two historians on the committee are both from Sydney. The fact that they have written at least a dozen books each (all which have sold well) counts for nothing with a couple of Queensland Rugby League names.
One centenary source told me last week (no names, no pack drill): "Those running the Centenary should be at arm’s length from the ARL, NRL, QRL, NSWRL, CRL and any other Rugby League body. That way the ‘agendas’ that permeate the game can be ignored.
"And the people in charge must get it right.
"We won’t get another chance for another 100 years."
He pointed to the 50th anniversary, which passed almost without notice in 1957 - even though the second World Cup was held in Australia that year.
Arko is reluctant to talk too much about the celebrations, because his committee has only had one meeting so far.
"But as a lover of the game, I would not be involved unless we can produce a celebration worthy of the Greatest Game of All," he said.
"It will come at a time when the game is at its zenith. We keep breaking attendance records. Sell-out crowds. Television ratings are going through the roof, and are the envy of the administrators of other sports.
"Sure, we’ve had our problems.
"But ours is a game that was born out of strife, and always had the ability to breast the flooded rivers of discontent that have swollen at various stages over the years.
"As each setback was overcome we have become stronger.
"We have a lot of which to be proud."
Well said, Arko!

Ive lost all faith in international football.

If it happens...great. But at this stage its just not happening and what is happening is so far from what needed....

carlnz

Bench
Im with Der Kasier on this one, wait and we shall see what happens after the meeting.

They have already got such things up as the Tri Nations, Samoa vs Tonga Test match, so show some faith

Art Vanderlay

Juniors
If what Lantana and Yakstorm say is correct them action needs to be taken right now!
I for one (was) am already looking forward to the cup in 2008!

Didnt the IRLF tender out the world cup to the same company who did the RU world cup (John Quayle's firm??) wasnt his firm doing a feasibility study??? have they handed their findings back to the IRLF?
do we know what is firm is called? couldnt we email them for any info??

If what I read is correct from the Lantana's post re "He (Colin Love) is voted into the position by... wait for it... the Sydney based clubs." .......well I find this hard to believe as the IRLF chairmain is voted at the annual IRLF meetings.... you then have to ask why Colin Love has been in charge of the board for so long??

The following are on the IRLF board David Gallop is the treasurer, Tas Batari development, Richard Lewis, RFL Sel Parsons, NZRL French fella and Geoff dont trust him Carr
I agree Gallop, Carr are most likely influenced by the NRL clubs I also agree Love has no idea.

We as fans of the game must bring pressure on the governing body just as we bring pressure on elected politicians!!

Woods99

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
Virtually every professionally run sport now does this. Real Madrid had a scout here in Australia for a 9 year old boy last week.

Sorry, mate, not in Australia. As far as I know only rugby league has the finances to run junior competitions like Flegg, Matthews and Ball, and offer professional contracts to kids to play in them. The AFL doesn't. The ARU doesn't. And do you think that this happens in any sport in New Zealand, or any sport other than soccer in the UK? Certainly not in rugby league in France, the fourth most important league playing nation. The point I made is valid. One of the biggest factors in Australia's dominance in rugby league is that it is the only rugby league playing nation which is able to offer full-time training to kids.

You're putting the horse before the cart. Australia is so far ahead because it develops the techniques. There are still constraints to be played which are constant for everybody, such as 13 men on the field, 6 tackles, etc.

Well, the horse should be before the cart, shouldn't it? Australia is so far ahead of the rest of the world for a number of reasons. One of the reasons is that the rules are basically amended by Australia to suit the capabilities of players in the NRL, which are ahead of any other nationalities competitions.

The fact remains, ESL wages are higher than NRL wages, they've got money.

The ESL does not have the money that the NRL clubs do to develop players from a young age. If they did, why would they need to poach Australians and New Zealanders to play in their competition? The NRL clubs could afford to pay their elite players more if they were prepared to stop their spending on the lower levels of competition.

Why ? We know you as a rah-rah apoligist. When international RL was big, RU never had a crowd above 15,000 for any game in Australia. The kangaroos in the spotlight will only serve to take the focus away from the Wallabies, the only thing the ARU can sell to the public.

When international RL was big rugby union in Australia was an amateur game.

I will not enumerate the changes that have happened in rugby union over the last 10 years of professionalism, but they seem to have resulted in the "Wallabies" becoming the best-known sporting brand in the nation.

As for the Kangaroos, well, even a fervent leaguie would have to admit that the brand is a bit tarnished. Apart from everything else, the Socceroos are being referred to as the "Roos" in headlines, and of course there is the small matter of the North Melbourne Kangaroos.

But the biggest problem is that the international season is a poor third to the NRL competition and SOO.

Back when the Kangaroos playing GB was a huge event, there was no SOO, and no national competition. It was not at all unusual for a player to be plucked out of one of the country Group teams to play for Australia.....as well as the Brisbane competitions. This added to the interest and romance of the contests. And of course, the Poms were as good as us, as tough and as well-conditioned, in those days.

On top of which there is the on-going potential catastrophe of the 2008 World Cup, coming hard on the heels of the Missing-in-action 2004 World cup.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
The only way to make the international game bigger and want to be played is:

*NRL takes over all Australian Rugby League

*Reduce the payments of players the NRL-Makes players want to play at a higher level to get paid more.

*Shorten the comp to 15 rounds-Leaving more room for internationals

*Increase payments to State of Origin Players-Best players get paid more

*And increase the payments even more to the International players-That way you strive to be the best and get paid the best to play international footy.
Can afford to because more international games.

15 weeks of NRL for 16 teams - Can afford to because playing player less.
4 weeks of finals
3 weeks of State of Origin
7 weeks of 4 Nations comp (First round to be played mid season in South, second roound in the North)
Total 29 weeks.

Once you throw in pre-season and a World 7's comp that is an extra 4 weeks.
This way we get a bigger international game. The best players get paid correctly and we preserve our players because it is less games.

Example of payments to players
Newcastle Knights Top 25 Pay it how you like but just an example

Top 5 $200K each Total $1million
Middle 10 $100K each Total $1million
Lower 10 $50K each Total $500K
Total $2.5million Salary Cap

Andrew Johns 200K(NRL) + 25K(per SOO) + 50K (per international)
If he plays every game he would earn= $625,000 about right

That way these players want to play at a higher level and don't have to worry about burn out. Less control from the clubs and more from an International level.

carlnz

Bench
hmm pay the players less and they will go to the super league or rugby...lets just face the fact its never going to happen...

i would like to know where the ARl will get 50k for johns for every international played..

bartman

Immortal
I'm not convinced the NRL are that crash-hot and proactive, and should take over the running of the international game? But we do need a more robust international body that is a real partnership and works effectively for all it's partners.

As an Aussie living in England I was very concerned about the crowd in Sydney for the first tri-nations game. I couldn't get any decent explanation as to to why it was so poor, that did not make me worried about future international scheduling and development.

Through petty power struggles and too many rugby league bodies or individuals not coming together, and no wonder the outlook for something as big as a world cup is not looking good at the moment. *shrugs* What do we mere fans do?

winnyason

Juniors
if is does not happen it does not happen, i myself have come to realise that australia is the only one that matters in it's world. This paranoia that we must keep up with Rugby Union is a joke, simply league is a strong club based sport like Eg NBA, NFL, NHL international comps are based around them.
The nrl & Superleague is the same, unfortunately everything league does is a quick fix if it don't happen overnight well f**k it. The game is great but, simply it is pie in the sky stuff to think that NRL give a sh*t about the world cup in 2008.
I have been a regular poster on here for 3 years nearly, but i cannot see in my time league ever being anything signifcant internationally, there are great ideas put up on this international forum but unfortunately the RLIF have no Teeth.
Australia loves the playing field as it is uneven & they will always dominant, however thay forget league is a minor ripple in world sports at present because of there arogrant stance the game.
With the RLIF as there puppets the NRL run this sport, & if it keeps happening will they can play it on there own. I would prefer the IRB run rugby league(if they keep there thoughts away from taking over), as everthing they do is well planned structured & not broken.

Face the facts guys unless the RLIF grows teeth it is dreamtime stuff to think there will be a successful world cup, TAKE note how to run & promote a sport
Mr Colin Love the IRB YOU SHOULD FOLLOW.

Sun_Down

Juniors
O gosh, maybe we are getting screwed, and the Sydney clubs are voting in Colin Love, provided he does nothing to improve the International game?

Hehe

Though I wouldnt be surprised by now...

Calixte

First Grade
w99,

You've refused to answer this before but...

On what basis do you claim there was a "missing-in-action" rugby league World Cup in 2004?

Anyone with any basic knowledge of the tournament knows it has been played sporadically since its inception in 1954. There have been memorable tournaments - and more than the rugby union one which dates only from 1987 - such as 1954, 1957, 1960, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1988 (Final), 1992 (Final) and 1995.

And there have been some disappointing ones - such as 2000 (when a number of factors, including the worst weather in many years and a national transport strike that gripped the playing centres, contributed to some low crowds) and the slightly devalued competitions of the mid-1970s (because of their detrimental impact on the playing of regular Test football in the traditional "tour" format).

The rugby league World Cup is one-third of a century older than its rugby union equivalent. That is the price of longevity. The good comes with the bad.

We true leaguies have always appreciated these facts and are just grateful for whenever it is put on, such is the on-going splishod manner in which it is handled by the game's (alleged) administrators.

The delight of seeing rugby league nations from around the world play in their own unique styles is something to behold - and worth waiting 3, 4, 5 or 8 years for...

Calixte

First Grade
winny,

I agree with you but surely the model for our sport to follow, in terms of a proper international structure, is the biggest sport on the planet, soccer.

FIFA is the model for us to follow.

As for the paid, propagandised media tactics of the rugby unionists, well they can keep that to themselves. $82 million on the RWC 2003 says it all. There are many ways to spend that amount of money on "advertising".

And every day it continues in the media here.

Pick up The Australian and compare the coverage this week of the international rugby league and rugby union. It's a disgrace. You couldn't find the last piece on French rugby league if you tried, other than the most basic of team information and maybe a John Monie bagging of his players.

Noel

Juniors
Perhaps leave Australia alone and give 50K per player per test each time they beat Australia (or whatever nation is ranked one). This would raise the standard of other nations such as Russia, where one win test win would set them up financially for life.