What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet Providers

I am looking at getting internet for my place, as I'm starting a new job and it requires internet access. Previously I have gotten by on my phone or going to the local RSL and downloading things from there.

I understand there will be set up costs like modems etc, so I'm not worried about that. I will also be using it for entertainment, so an unlimited plan is going to work best. I don't need a phone, so naked plans seem to be the best fit. Now the only thing is I am renting a split house which only has one phone line, not sure if that is going to be a problem.

So just wondering if anyone has any recommendations. So far either TPG or i-i-n-e-t--n-o seem to have the best plans for me.

cleary89

Coach
I just got TPG set up in my flat. It was a bit of a pain but it seems like it's the same with them all. We went the unlimited ADSL with the phone line because it was cheaper than the naked from memory. Although in hindsight, the naked might have been easier.

Get the phone call a week later saying its now set up, it should work. Call up and say no ones even been to my house so hows that possible, they say oh we just turned the phone line on, the guy will come out monday. Living in a unit, they only connect to the MDF in the garage so had to get someone else to come out and connect from MDF to my line. Just a bit of a pain and took about 2 weeks start to finish.

Just looked now and yeh with the phone line is $10 cheaper than naked.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Checkout the whirlpool site as it shows you the available ISPs in your area and the relative cost including setup.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The cheapest give very little support as Cleary mentioned.

I am with Internode and they are not the cheapest but their support is brilliant.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Still it pays to look around. Just depends how it savvy you are really. Plenty of reviews of the different ISPs and really it's rare to have problems once your setup.

The problem with tpg is they have no plans to get on board with the NBN. So if you want NBN you will need to look into the ISPs that offer it.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
TPG's unlimited plan is by far the best option available if you're not on the NBN.

Been with them for many years, their official support is an Indian call centre but if you do need something done just go to the Whirlpool TPG section and pm a TPG rep there, they've helped me in the past.

Was previously with i-i-n-e-t--n-o (solid) but you really can't beat TPG.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Did the Whirpool site. TPG was the only one I had heard of before, and seemed to offer the best unlimited naked ADSL2+ package.

Edit: Checked again, i-i-n-e-t--n-o and iPrimus were there too.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?acti...onntype=4&conntype=6&xnak=1&sort=2#navigation

Netspace and iPrimus have been around for a long time too, Netspace is actually owned by i-i-n-e-t--n-o iirc. The ISP scene in Aus is pretty incestuous.

More importantly though, why are you restricting yourself to naked DSL plans? Try this search instead:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?acti...99999&needhw=yes&conntype=1&conntype=4&sort=3

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Tpg are ok.

It drops out every so often and there is the odd period of slowdowns but I download easily over a tb a month and it works fine 99 percent of the time.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I worked for BigPond (overpriced and shit) and i-i-n-e-t--n-o (considerably better). I'm obviously biased in that regard, as I quite liked i-i-n-e-t--n-o and think the extra cost is worth it for better customer service.

Jason Maher

Immortal
i-i-n-e-t--n-o is very good. Great company, great service. Not so sure on their hiring policies though... :sarcasm:

If you want cheap as chips and are happy with a lesser level of customer service, TPG have that pretty much covered (or did last time I bothered to check).

Edit: or take El D's advice and steer clear. I suspect that'd be all the schmucks taking advantage of their unlimited plans to download every TV series they've ever heard of.

Edit edit: also check out Whirlpool. Best place to find more information then you'll ever need on every ISP in Australia.

Edit edit edit: f**king ninja'd, multiple time.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
:shock:

i was with TPG once and they were slow as f**k at night. could barely even browse

got the TIO to get me out of the contract as they were shit

I use geo unblocking to get netlfix so there is always something being streamed when im home. It all adds up.

Latest posts