What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irish Domestic league

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Results here:
http://www.emeraldrugby.com/home.asp?pid=469

Surprisingly in a RU publication.

RUGBY LEAGUE
The Irish Rugby League season kicked off last weekend. It was a fantastic start to the 2007 Irish Rugby League season with several teams showing their intent from early on.

In the Lucozade Sport Elite League, the Carlow Crusaders ran out an impressive 36-16 victory over the Dublin Blues while last seasons beaten finalists Kildare Dragons managed to get a win against an impressive North Dublin Eagles.

In the Emerald Rugby Conference (North), despite a strong start, the Athlone Arrows could do little to constrain a resurgent Portadown Pumas who ran out 38-22 winners in the midlands. Meanwhile the Dublin City Exiles out classed the Athboy Longhorns with a mighty 66-16 victory over the home side.

In the Emerald Rugby Conference (South) a gripping encounter between the Crusaders ‘B’ and Portlaoise Panthers ended in a draw at 28 apiece meanwhile the Tullamore Knights made short work of the Kilkenny Wildcats to rack up a massive 70-12 victory over the visitors

Weekend Results

Lucozade Sport Elite League
Carlow Crusaders 36 – 16 Dublin Blues
Kildare Dragons 24 – 18 North Dublin Eagles

Emerald Rugby Conference (North)
Athlone Arrows 22 – 38 Portadown Pumas
Athboy Longhorns 16 – 66 Dublin City Exiles

Emerald Rugby Conference (South)
Carlow Crusaders ‘B’ 28 – 28 Portlaoise Panthers
Tullamore Knights 70 – 12 Kilkenny Wildcats

lucozade_small.jpg
Lucozade Elite League
TeamsPWDLPTSCarlow Crusaders11004Treaty City Titans11004Kildare Dragons11004North Dublin Eagles10011Dublin Blues10011
emerald_small.jpg
Emerald Rugby Conference North
TeamsPWDLPTSDublin City Exiles11005Portadown Pumas11005Tallaght Tigers11004Athlone Arrows10010Athboy Longhorns10010
emerald_small.jpg
Emerald Rugby Conference South
TeamsPWDLPTSTullamore Knights11004Galway Tribesmen11004Portlaoise Panthers10103Carlow Crusaders B10102Kilkenny Wildcats10011

Interesting. I didn't know what form the Irish comp was taking this season but clearly they've scrapped the "All-Ireland" league and is now a bit like the English conference system with a premiers division and a regional division split into two. Interesting to see the sponsorship of both and one of them is a union organisation. There's also a couple of new clubs. Galway and Tallaght are new names and it seems Waterford is missing. 14 clubs all up with Carlow fielding two sides. Pretty good really, especially with a touring team in NZ as well.

bartman

Immortal
Found details of the Irish comp set up for this year here:

http://www.rli.ie/news/article.php?Id=0130

Looks like a weekly newsletter?

Rugby League Ireland
Newsletter, Issue #1

Monday 21st May 2007

New Season – 5 days away

As the final preparations are put into play, Teams ready themselves for the kick-off to the New Look RLI Competition for 2007. This season sees 3 sponsored leagues. In the Lucozade Elite League the defending champions begin with a Bye. Last season’s runners-up Carlow Crusaders are at home to the long standing Dublin Blues. Having played each other in the Kilkenny 9’s semi-final with Carlow taking the honours, the Blues will surely be looking for revenge. This promises to a gruelling encounter and is the RLI game of the week. The other game in the Elite league will see the Eagle’s travel to Kilcock to take on the Dragons. This will be a severe test for both teams, who have both seen changes in their squads during the closed season and neither will want to give an inch in this battle. In the Emerald Conference Northern division the game of the week is without doubt the Dublin City Exiles away to the Athboy Longhorns. Both sides contested the Kilkenny 9’s Plate final that was decided by a Golden try in Extra time. Both were under strength that day but it’s guaranteed to be a mouth-watering tie. The other games will see the newly named Portadown Puma’s travel to play the Athlone Arrows. Both sides will be without some key players for this game as they are away with the Ireland A squad in New Zealand, but both sides will be looking to start their campaign with a good result. The Southern Conference sees the strengthening of the Crusaders who’s ’B’ team play host to the Portlaoise Panthers. The other game will see the Tullamore RFC Knights play host to the Kilkenny Wildcats. All teams in this division will be looking to take early scalps so as to put this tightly contested division into their grasps.

New Zealand Tour 2007

The most eagerly awaited tour of the year began this morning when the Ireland A squad met at Dublin Airport all geared up and ready for their biggest test in Rugby League. The team will play 3 fixtures in 7 days. This tour has representatives from all clubs that played in last years RLI Competition as well as some Irish based player in the UK. They have been training hard over the last few months. No doubt they will do themselves and Ireland proud. Upon leaving Ireland Coach Damien Welland believed this “would be a serious test of our development, but one we would learn from and hopefully bring some of those lesson to the fore in the upcoming 4 Nations this summer”. We wish all involved all the best in New Zealand.

Kilkenny 9’s Tournament:

Thirteen teams took part in an event that is going from strength to strength. The weather held out and free flowing rugby league was the order of the day. Off the field there was plenty to keep everyone busy and fed and watered. A great day was had by all and credit goes to Damien and the Kilkenny team and Dave Lavery and Jason Craughwell for the smooth running of the games. Visiting teams enjoyed the facilities and the event and will no doubt have fond memories of their weekend. Domestic teams certainly benefit from playing against teams who have vast experience of the game and will improve as a result. On the field the running was excellent and the tackling fierce in places. All games were conducted with great humour and in a sportsmanly manner and the referees had little to do but admire the quality. The new referees also showed great potential, which bodes well for the coming season. The winners were visitors from Coventry with Wolfhound legend Alan Robinson causing no end of problems around the fringes. They beat Carlow Crusaders A team who were in excellent form all afternoon ad who had two team’s in the competition.

What to look out for in 2007

Each week this newsletter will give up to date news, scores and tables from the RLI during the season. We will also be announcing the team of the week based on games around the country.

Your News:

If you would like to advertise a coming event for your club then please forward it to Martin and he will put it on the weekly Newsletter. If your sponsor would like to place an ad or sponsor this Newsletter then please get in contact

Martin Nunan

deluded pom? said:
Didn't Tallaght Tigers compete in the IRL a few years ago?
Don't think so. They're not on my list from last year. Tallaght is in Dublin and the only Dublin sides that took part last year were the Blues, Exiles and Eagles.
The other team that seems to be missing is Cork. They seem to have lost the most southerly clubs so it appears as though the travel factor in the All-Ireland league probably asked too much of the clubs. You could drive from one end of the island to the other in now time but the Irish don't travel. Many people from the Republic, especially further south, have never even been to Ulster.

deluded pom?

Coach
East Coast Tiger said:
Don't think so. They're not on my list from last year. Tallaght is in Dublin and the only Dublin sides that took part last year were the Blues, Exiles and Eagles.
The other team that seems to be missing is Cork. They seem to have lost the most southerly clubs so it appears as though the travel factor in the All-Ireland league probably asked too much of the clubs. You could drive from one end of the island to the other in now time but the Irish don't travel. Many people from the Republic, especially further south, have never even been to Ulster.

I know I've seen the Tallaght Tigers name before. Maybe you have to go back further to find it in the RLI.

bowes

Juniors
yeah they were in, I think, but a while back. Don't think they've been in in the last 5 years.

Cork folded before last season, hence why Carlow were last minute replacements. Kerry already dropping out, after the year before (meaning Munster couldn't keep a division). Waterford have dropped out after last year, meaning there's just two Munster teams, although for the first time there's one from Connacht

crimpo

Juniors
I should give a proper plug for the man I suspect is behind this, Manus Lappin, the editor of emerald rugby. He's a RU man but also loves a bit of RL. RL is still very small in Ireland compared to RU and thats reflected in emerald rugby but Manus always seems ready to give RL some coverage when there's something notable on. He did a really excellent report on the Ireland v Lebanon WC Qualifier for instance. I e-mailed him for permission to post it on another forum and he was very positive about his RL! (I note he's also the contact for the Portadown Pumas on the RL Ireland site - so he's the real deal!)

I suspect most Irish RL players also play RU - just as in the English/Scottish/Welsh Conference sides. That may be why there's less of the traditional antipathy between the two codes in areas like this...

If you want to show your appreciation for the sponsorship then have a look at the emerald rugby site and help keep manus's sponsors happy! He now has a Rugby League section on the website so you have no excuse not to help the man out! :D

couerdelion

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:

Tallaght used to have a team, but it was at least four seasons ago.

As you say, Cork and Waterford have also folded. I aren't sure what happened to Waterford. They were due to play the North Dublin Eagles in last years 'plate' final but couldn't field a team. This year they haven't entered at all.

The travel times in Ireland are misleading. The roads are poor and the traffic congestion due to the amount of roadworks going on are horrendous.

Also the reasons many people from the South haven't been to Ulster is purely political. Even now I've heard some of the RL sides are reluctant to travel to Portadown.

Galway have since dropped out this year, and the Titans have entered a second team.
The titans are by far the best team this year.

couerdelion

Juniors
I thought I would do an update on the league over here...

Last years All-Ireland competition has been split into 3 divisions. The Elite-League, and a North and South conference. The Elite league has been made up of the teams that finished in the top 5 positions last year.

On last years results the Titans and the Crusaders are the ones to beat. They were the ones who contested the play-off final, the Titans winning 24:10.

Couerdelions low down on the teams...
Treaty City Titans
Treaty won the title last year and are a very strong team from 1-13. They play a fast running game and are dangerous from all positions. They have a huge pool of players to draw from, this is shown by the fielding of two teams in the leagues this year, as Titans 'B' have replaced Galway in the southern conference.
Prediction: 1st

Carlow Crusaders
Carlow were new to the league last year and made a fantastic debut finishing 2nd.
They have strong running forwards and a more than capable back line. Most of their players play together for Carlow RU and this shows in their play where there running shows their familiarality with one another.
Prediction: 2nd

Dublin Blues
The traditional power house of Irish Rugby League. They haven't had it all their own way for the last couple of season but will be hoping things may change this year.
Their forwards are a match for anyone on their day. They have no links to any RU clubs and this lack of readily available players may be a reason they don't challenge this year.
Prediction: 3rd

Kildare Dragons
Kildare last season pulled most of their players from the North Kildare RU, however I believe the RU club have advised their players not to play this year and they are no longer linked to the club. They are planning to play all their home games at different RU clubs and to draw players from these clubs. Had some impressive results last season and narrowly lost to Carlow in the Play-off
Prediction: 4th

North Dublin Eagles
The Eagles have never beaten any of the other four teams in this league (edit: they beat Kildare once 3 seasons ago). They won last years plate competition (for 5th-8th place finishers) by default after the Waterford Vikings failed to field a team for the final. Their lack of affiliation to any union teams won't help them and in all honesty, I believe they will struggle to finish anything but bottom, anything higher will be a moral victory.
Prediction:5th

Results so far.....
I'm only going to give the results of the Elite League.

Round Two

Elite Division
North Dublin Eagles v Treaty City Titans 12:70
Dublin Blues v Kildare Dragons 24:18
Carlow Crusaders v Bye 12:0

Round Three

Elite Division

Kildare Dragons v Carlow Crusaders 6:56
Treaty City Titans v Dublin Blues 76:0
North Dublin Eagles v Bye 12:0

Round Four

Elite Division
Carlow Crusaders v North Dublin Eagles 50:6
Treaty City Titans v Kildare Dragons Postponed
Dublin Blues v Bye 12:0

So my predictions are right so far but I'm expecting some upsets over the next couple of rounds. The top two are out of sight but the bottom three are closer than expected.

Next week the Treaty City Titans take on the Carlow Crusaders in a top of the table clash which I predict Treaty City to win easily, whilst the North Dublin Eagles travel to local rivals Dublin Blues, a Dublin derby, in a match up which I think the Eagles will just sneak.

couerdelion

Juniors
England Lionhearts 22 v Ireland Wolfhounds 28

Dave Parkinson at Hilton Park
The Irish Wolfhounds opened their 2007 Skanska Four Nations Championship campaign with an exciting five try win over last seasons winners, the English Lionhearts at Leigh.

Key to the victory was a 12-point contribution from Siddal hooker or halfback Liam Walsh and equally important link-play between halfbacks Stevie Gibbons and Matt Ashe which the Wolfhounds Technical Coach Tony Benson also acknowledged.

"He was an important part of today's plan as were the two halves." He said. "That was the area we worked pretty hard because that was the difference between us and them - playing off our halves and hooker as a variation."

I was particularly happy with our tries in the first half, those weren't flukes and they weren't planned moves either, but they were game awareness which is what we've been trying to teach them over the last six weeks. They purposefully created the situation by putting them where they did and then going wider. The passing was superb too."

The game started amid a flurry of activity when Wolfhounds second row Mike Harte was sinbinned after just three minutes following successive high tackles. Although Bramley Buffaloes centre Paul Drake missed the attempt on goal, the Lionhearts took the lead when Warrington Wizards Matt Wilson forced his way over for the opening try after six minutes.

The following sixteen minutes saw the team's trade handling errors but the English looked far more likely to break through with former Rochdale and Whitehaven fullback Chris Campbell a constant threat.

Gradually however, the Wolfhounds grew in confidence and when they were held short, the ball was moved left and Ashe scored a try converted by Walsh after 22 minutes. Seven minutes later, Ireland repeated the dose but this time big Alan Robinson forced his way over. A towering conversion from Walsh made it 12-4.

The Lionhearts needed to hit back and quickly and St Ives prop Marco Rossi gave them the fillip with a real barge over from close range following a clever switch at the play-the-ball. This time Drake converted and added a penalty ninety seconds from the break to tie the scores.

Four minutes into the new half, the Wolfhounds hurried and harried the English side, forcing an error that eventually resulted in Wayne Carr charging through three tacklers to score.

Again the Lionhearts responded with a try of quality. Substitute Stu Smith moved play to the right, Matt Mullholland ran into the hole before offloading at the right moment for Telford's Richard Whitehouse to sweep in at the corner. Drake converted superbly from the touchline but there was no discounting the Irish. They attacked with renewed vigour and Mike Brodie managed to squeeze in at the corner to put the Wolfhounds in front for the final time after 55
minutes.

Walsh missed the conversion attempt but there was no stopping him twelve minutes later when he spotted the smallest of holes and darted over from dummy half. That came after Blackpool pair Chris Spiers and Tom Sibley had worked a chance for England before Smith spilled possession.

Gibbons missed with a drop-goal attempt for the Wolfhounds before Rossi made things very interesting with his second try five minutes from the end but the Wolfhound's increased awareness saw them home.

Lionhearts coach Steve Woodburn said "It was a tough game. We expected a tough game from Ireland. It was a classic case in the second half of losing possession and having to do
defend - we put pressure on ourselves. At half-time, coming out with the wind at our backs I thought we had the game in our grasp but we put a lot of pressure on ourselves, turned the ball over and Ireland benefited from that."

GAMESTAR: Liam Walsh was outstanding, a regular thorn in the Lionhearts side.

GAMEBREAKER: Walsh's self converted try on 67 minutes just meant the Lionhearts had too much to do.

LIONHEARTS:

1 Chris Campbell 8
2 Richard Whitehouse 8
3 Paul Drake 6
4 Matt Mullholland 6
5 Darren Forshaw 7
6 Scott Pendlebury 6
7 Jamie Nicholson 6
8 Marco Rossi 9
9 Chris Spiers 8
10 Andy Lake 7
11 Carl Leach 6
12 Tom Sibley 8
13 Matt Wilson 8
Subs (All Used)
14 Dan Reeds 7
15 Ollie Fountain 6
16 Nick Mercer 7
17 Stu Smith 6

Tries: Wilson (6), Rossi (33, 75), Whitehouse (50)
Goals: Drake 3/6

WOLFHOUNDS:

1 Alan McNamara 7
2 Craig McInerney 7
3 Mike Brodie 8
4 Wayne Kelly 7
5 Eimhim Griffith 7
6 Stevie Gibbons 9
7 Matt Ashe 9
8 Wayne Kerr 8
9 Liam Walsh 9
10 Clive Gee 7
11 Mike Harte 6
12 Phil Purdue 6
13 Luke Garnett 7
SUBS (ALL USED)
21 Alan Robinson 7
19 Sean Hennesy 7
16 Declan Nash 6
17 Lemeki Vaipulu 6

Tries: Ashe (22), Robinson (29), Kerr (44), Brodie (55), Walsh (67)
Goals: Walsh 4/5.

Sinbinned: Mike Harte (3 - High tackle).

Referee: R. Rees
Penalties: 5-4
Half-time: 12-12
Weather: Cloudy and muggy
Match Rating: 4/5

TITAN1

Juniors
Cheers,mate.
Was wondering 'cause thats were my family is originally from..
I even support the Sligo Rovers in the soccer (sorry,football! ;-) )

couerdelion

Juniors
Round 4 results

Treaty City Titans v Carlow Crusaders 22:22
Dublin City Bles v North Dublin Blues 24:34
Kildare Dragon v Bye 12:0

Well there was some shocks this week. I expected the Treaty City Titans to beat Carlow by 20+. I haven't seena match report yet but full credit to Carlow for matching the Munster side.

In the other game, the Eagles have finally beaten the Blues after 5 seasons of trying. They raced into a 22-0 lead and then took their foot off the gas, allowing the Blues back into the game, and at one point the game was level. Captain Paul Byrne put a grubber kick through with 3 minutes to go and then sprinted through to touch down and confirm an Eagles win.

Next week see the Carlow Crusaders away to the Dublin Blues whilst the North Dublin Eagles entertain the Kildare Dragons. Treaty City have the bye this weekend. I'd expect Carlow to see off the Blues, Kildare have already beaten the Eagles this season but on recent form I think this game is too close to call.

In the Southern conference, the Treaty City Spartans (the titans A team) beat the Carlow 'A' team 24-0. Portlaoise Panthers beat Kilkenny Wildcats 36:28 and Tullamore got the bye.

In the Northern Conference, the top of the table clash between the Dublin City Exiles and the Portadown Pumas saw a few raised eyebrows as the Ulstermen triumphed 40-32.
Tallaght triumphed 24-0 over Athboy whilst Athalone got the bye.