What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IRL Confirm Men’s Competition Calendar for 2020

Coastbloke

Bench
Good to see neutral Refs for matches. :thumbsup:
No France v Australia or even Jamaica v Australia :thumbsdown:
No PNG v NZ in PNG :thumbsdown:

adamkungl

Immortal

This is just a graphic with previously announced IRL official tournaments. I wouldn't read too much into it.
The article says there will be additional "bi-lateral" matches organised between nations.

I expect a few more still to come... announced about 9 days beforehand in typical RL fashion.

imagesource.php

http://www.rlif.com/article/8883/

Springs09

Juniors
So looking at that we have Scotland & Wales free on the 17th-18th October and France free on the 24th-25th.
Given Australia v NZ is likely to be on the 17th-18th, hopefully Scotland or Wales can get a game against England then. Please don't let there be France v England Knights on France's free weekend when the full England team is free!
Hopefully Australia v France on the 21st Nov. Can't see who else Australia will play as the scheduling doesn't allow it, unless they play France on the 24th-25th and no one after The Ashes.

adamkungl

Immortal
France need to be playing a serious England or Australia on Oct 25
Jamaica could play the other one - that has been previously discussed. They're a World Cup entrant and deserve fair consideration.

England and Aus could also play Wales or Ireland after their series' ends.

langpark

First Grade
You got me excited there for a minute! But as I suspected, I knew it sounded too good to be true!

“Finally, for the first time ever, every match official in this programme will be appointed directly by the International Rugby League Match Official Manager and this supports our wider vision for every international game to be refereed by a suitable qualified and experienced official drawn from a neutral panel.”

This does NOT mean neutral refs, unfortunately.

adamkungl

Immortal
It *should* be better than Australia appointing refs for their own games though
Definite step in right direction

yakstorm

First Grade
The graphic is only Competitions and the Australia v England Test Series, so don't worry about the missing matches.

We already know, as they've been confirmed, Australia will face New Zealand and New Zealand will play PNG and of course all the other potential games that are yet to be confirmed (ie. Both PNG and Fiji will have a match in June, but the opponent hasn't been locked in yet)

For the Referees, unfortunately as much as we'd love neutrals for all Tests, Australia and England won't accept any Referees who aren't Professionals for their matches, which makes sense from a speed of the game perspective and even just a welfare perspective. Unfortunately both the RFL or NRL have made it difficult for French, Welsh and NZ referees to join the professional squads, however maybe this is something the newly appointed IRL Match Official Manager can put pressure on them to change this.

adamkungl

Immortal
For the Referees, unfortunately as much as we'd love neutrals for all Tests, Australia and England won't accept any Referees who aren't Professionals for their matches, which makes sense from a speed of the game perspective and even just a welfare perspective. Unfortunately both the RFL or NRL have made it difficult for French, Welsh and NZ referees to join the professional squads, however maybe this is something the newly appointed IRL Match Official Manager can put pressure on them to change this.

I think the frustration is that in a series where Australia, NZ and England are all participating and all have a professional referee each, they almost always are non-neutral even when they can be.
We'll have a weekend with Aus v England and NZ v Tonga and you can almost guarantee Cummins will do the Australia game and Perenara will do the NZ game.

yakstorm

First Grade
I think the frustration is that in a series where Australia, NZ and England are all participating and all have a professional referee each, they almost always are non-neutral even when they can be.
We'll have a weekend with Aus v England and NZ v Tonga and you can almost guarantee Cummins will do the Australia game and Perenara will do the NZ game.

Agree those scenarios are poor and should be avoided where possible, without as well just gifting a match to a referee simply because they are the only one who isn't from the two nations participating.

adamkungl

Immortal
Agree those scenarios are poor and should be avoided where possible, without as well just gifting a match to a referee simply because they are the only one who isn't from the two nations participating.

From what i've heard getting a more diverse refereeing pool is a major priority for the IRL in the next few years

deluded pom?

Coach
Cummins hasn’t reffed for years but I know what you mean.

Latest posts