What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is George having a tantrum?

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'd be interested to know why they have banned him ?

I can't think of any legal reason for them to ban him. IMO Holmes a Court COULD sue them, but would choose not to because he doesn't want bad press this early.

OVP

Coach
Messiah said:
I'd be interested to know why they have banned him ?

I can't think of any legal reason for them to ban him. IMO Holmes a Court COULD sue them, but would choose not to because he doesn't want bad press this early.

They banned him because last week he( Peter HAC) invited the Channel 9 camera crews in to inspect the ENTIRE second floor of the Souths Leagues club being stripped bare and unrentable, courtesy of Demented George, for the last 10 years.

The emperor is INSANE !!

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Why would you have unrented space? Seems to me that it could well be symptomatic of the problems Souths have had in recent history.

OVP

Coach
TiTTieS_[CNTDN] said:
Why would you have unrented space? Seems to me that it could well be symptomatic of the problems Souths have had in recent history.

They only ever had one problem. And that problem is STILL notoriously HARD to get rid of, even though they had a MASSIVE loss last weekend.

OVP

Coach
If anyone doubts what i say ...

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23214,00.html

Holmes a Court won't appeal ban
By Jeff Dunne
March 25, 2006

NEW Rabbitohs owner Peter Holmes a Court has ruled out fronting the South Sydney Leagues Club board to have his ban from the club lifted.

The leagues club board has banned Holmes a Court indefinitely after he took a television reporter to the unused floor at the club to do a story claiming the area was under-utilised.

In response the leagues club has sent Holmes a Court a letter confirming the ban and asking him to front the board and justify his actions.

He is still able to enter the football club offices which are on level three of the leagues club. "I think it's crazy, I'm not interested in going to appeal," Holmes a Court said.

Asked if he would still go into the football club offices, he said: "If I'm prepared for the hostility of the institution [the leagues club], I've said pretty clearly that the place needs to attract customers not scare them away."

Leagues club chairman George Piggins has threatened to take legal action against Holmes a Court, claiming he trespassed when he entered the unused floor last week.

Leagues club chief executive Chuck Driscoll said the ban was not a case of sour grapes.

The relationship between the leagues club and football club could become further strained with Driscoll indicating the club would not necessarily support as they had in the past, products such at Tooheys and Schweppes, which have sponsorship deals with the football club.

The Daily Telegraph

-------------------

Failing believing that story, then go visit The Hutch and you'll probably get several years worth of reading as to what George has REALLY been doing with that club. Its fascinating as to how this can possibly happen today, but yet they have documented EVERYTHING from many years ago. The Hutch is a must-join site if ever there was imo. Even listen to Hutchcast No 13 (44 mins, 20 seconds thru the cast) and listen to Noelene Piggins give it to Wade Singleton live on air, the owner of The Hutch. Its brilliant.

www.rabbitohs.com/hutch

OVP

Coach
Bunnies Fight Over Leagues Club Loan
By Brad Walter
SMH – 25/03/2006

A DISPUTE over more than $300,000 that the new privately run South Sydney football club claims is owed to it from an outstanding debt is set to cast doubt over the future of the Rabbitohs leagues club.

In a dramatic sequel to the battle for control of Souths that resulted in Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court last Sunday being granted a 75 per cent stake in the football club for $3 million, George Piggins yesterday vowed to fight all the way to court if they now attempt to call in the 10-year-old loan he described as "a book entry" only.

With the Rabbitohs planning to move their football club offices from the third floor of South Sydney Leagues Club to Homebush Bay when Crowe and Holmes a Court formally take over on May 1, the situation is about to hit flash point.

Piggins said the football club had already asked for the money late last year, but Souths football club chairman Nick Pappas said no formal demand had yet been made.

However, Pappas expects the new board of the football club, which will be headed by Holmes a Court in his role of executive chairman, to take such action in the immediate future and was unable to say what would happen if the leagues club can not or will not pay.

"No formal demand has been made for the money at this stage but if a decision is made for the football club to move out of the leagues club then I would anticipate that happening," Pappas said.

"I imagine that it will happen fairly soon. It's a matter of need, the football club needs that money and has done so for some time. It is too big an amount to write off.

"This whole exercise has been about the football club's need to assert its financial independence and if that involves calling in a loan from the leagues club then so be it."

According to Piggins, the leagues club borrowed $600,000 from a $2.5 million grant to clubs loyal to the Australian Rugby League by Optus during the Super League war to help cover a shortfall in paying for a commercial project. In return, the football club received free rent on its office space in the leagues club indefinitely.

"It was a book entry and anyone who was involved with the football club and the leagues club at the time knew that," said Piggins, who controlled both clubs until three years ago and is still chairman of the leagues club.

"It was never supposed to be repaid in cash, the football club received free rent and after 10 years I think it might have been more than repaid anyway but that didn't matter. It was the leagues club helping out the football club. Nicholas Pappas knows all about that because he defended us over this issue during the court case against the Murdochs, but now he's got a different opinion on it.

"The football club has already had one go at getting their hands on the money three or four months back. [But] I'm comfortable that it's not a real loan and I'm comfortable that a court of law would recognise that if this was to go that far."

But Pappas countered: "It is a real loan, there is no doubt about that. There are entries in the books of both the leagues club and the football club."

Inflaming the situation is the fact that Holmes a Court has been banned from entering the leagues club - and, therefore, cannot gain access to the football club offices - after being accused of trespassing when he took a Channel Nine news TV crew on a tour of the building's empty second floor to highlight what he alleged were the shortcomings of Piggins's management.

Piggins said Holmes a Court, whose initial offer was for $11.5 million and included buying the licensed premises, had been sent a letter asking him to appear before the board of the leagues club.

Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs have received applications from 360 potential new football club members since last Sunday's decision to accept the offer from Holmes a Court and Crowe. A number of new sponsors have also come on board and a shorts sponsorship deal is close to being finalised.

Kiwi

First Grade
Holmes a Court is the tthing to happen to the Rabbitohs for along time. The fact he wants to return to Redfern, invest so much money into upgrading the clubs facilities, and all Piggins can do is is try to bloke it.

For crists sake, they share the same ideas pretty much ( apart from the ownership issue ). I have never seen a club try and shoot itself in the foot so much.

Piggins...You are the weakest link......GOODBYE and don't the door hit you on the way out.

gaterooze

Bench
Reminds me of a caller into Talkin' Sport a few weeks ago. A bloke wanted to know the score of the Rabbitohs/Cowboys game , so he called the Leagues Club for the result -- the guy who answered the phone made up some nonsense figure like the Rabbitohs leading 68-2. The bloke knew that couldn't be right, so he called back, hoping to get someone else, but the same guy answered and said "Oh, they've just scored again, it's 74-2 now." The bloke asked to speak to the manager immediately. The manager came on and said the guy didn't know the score so he just made it up. The caller said he'd like to make a formal complaint against the bullsh*tter, so the manager said something rude and hung up.

I (and Hughesy/Smithy/et al) thought that was very symptomatic of the problems at Souths. You're meant to be attracting people to the club and servicing fans, yet they couldn't even be bothered to keep abreast of the team's results, and were unforgivably rude to a member.

I think this latest incident shows that the Bunnies members absolutely did the right thing with their vote.

sunny

gaterooze said:
Reminds me of a caller into Talkin' Sport a few weeks ago. A bloke wanted to know the score of the Rabbitohs/Cowboys game , so he called the Leagues Club for the result -- the guy who answered the phone made up some nonsense figure like the Rabbitohs leading 68-2. The bloke knew that couldn't be right, so he called back, hoping to get someone else, but the same guy answered and said "Oh, they've just scored again, it's 74-2 now." The bloke asked to speak to the manager immediately. The manager came on and said the guy didn't know the score so he just made it up. The caller said he'd like to make a formal complaint against the bullsh*tter, so the manager said something rude and hung up.

I (and Hughesy/Smithy/et al) thought that was very symptomatic of the problems at Souths. You're meant to be attracting people to the club and servicing fans, yet they couldn't even be bothered to keep abreast of the team's results, and were unforgivably rude to a member.

I think this latest incident shows that the Bunnies members absolutely did the right thing with their vote.

:lol: :lol:

Glen

Bench
Piggins won't stop trying to bring the club down until he's in his cold grave

Surandy

Bench
OVP said:
According to Piggins, the leagues club borrowed $600,000 from a $2.5 million grant to clubs loyal to the Australian Rugby League by Optus during the Super League war to help cover a shortfall in paying for a commercial project. In return, the football club received free rent on its office space in the leagues club indefinitely.

"It was a book entry and anyone who was involved with the football club and the leagues club at the time knew that," said Piggins, who controlled both clubs until three years ago and is still chairman of the leagues club.

"It was never supposed to be repaid in cash, the football club received free rent and after 10 years I think it might have been more than repaid anyway but that didn't matter. It was the leagues club helping out the football club. Nicholas Pappas knows all about that because he defended us over this issue during the court case against the Murdochs, but now he's got a different opinion on it.

Okay, a couple of things here, either the writer or Piggins has it wrong here, the leagues club borrowed money from the football club yet Piggins is quoted as saying it was the leagues club helping out the football club?

The other thing is, if the money was never intended as a loan then why was it entered as such in both the football club and leagues club's books? If it was a loan that was to be repaid by free rent then there should be entries in the leagues club's books to represent a non-cash entry of rent "payments" coming out of the "loan" amount, either that or the "loan" should have been entered as a prepayment of rent rather than as a loan.

Sharkie™

Juniors
piggins will be the type to go blow the place up in a demented rage cause he thinks he owns the place. the thing is he controdicts himself because he goes on radio and says privitisation should not happen because it is a public team that should be run by the public however he acts like the place is his and that it is his way or the highway.

Latest posts