What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it considered "plastic"...

nöyd

Staff member
...if you do not tip your own team in a footy tipping comp?

Personally I say no. I was always taught that you tip/bet/gamble with your head, and not your heart. Besides, the premise of tipping is that you select who you think will win, not who you support or follow.

Got a bloke here at work that is copping some flak for not tipping the team he follows.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Each to their own.

But I stopped betting/tipping and on games years ago, I couldn't bet against my own team. It would have been a conflict of interests. I was only ever good at it when my team was travelling well, and the teams I opposed were travelling not so well. So it lacked logic.

If you do bet against your own team, then how do you reconcile that during the game? Your allegiances are split.

If gambling was my prime motive for watching football, then I figured I was never a fan to start with. So it was an easy decision to ditch it.

nöyd

Staff member
If you do bet against your own team, then how do you reconcile that during the game? Your allegiances are split.

This is a work tipping contest where first prize is maybe $200, so I'm not sure this guy is fussed either way, or taking it as seriously as some others.

As you say - each to their own. If he reflects upon his choice later he may be satisfied to get the 2 points for tipping the Eels correctly, but he would gladly give up those 2 tipping points for 2 competition points for his team (Broncos).

Not sure it's right for him to cop shit for it though.

soc123_au

Staff member
I was in a tipping comp back in 2001 at my wifes work. I tipped Penrith every week (spoon year) religiously. I had no idea where I was sitting in the rankings until she told me I was leading by a fair margin in mid July. The next round Panthers were up against the chooks who were leading the comp. So to protect my lead I tipped the chooks. Penrith won. After that I tipped Penrith again every week. Instead of winning the $1200.00 for winning it ended up a 3 way tie & split the 1st prize. Had I stuck to my guns I would have been $800,00 better off. i have never tipped against the Panthers since. Managed to win another comp in 2018 which happened to be a much better year for Penrith.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This is a work tipping contest where first prize is maybe $200, so I'm not sure this guy is fussed either way, or taking it as seriously as some others.

As you say - each to their own. If he reflects upon his choice later he may be satisfied to get the 2 points for tipping the Eels correctly, but he would gladly give up those 2 tipping points for 2 competition points for his team (Broncos).

There's another angle to this... what if you bet or tip against your team and they win? How would you feel about the loss of faith?

Parra

Referee

Most of the reason tipping comps exist is to sling some crap. Your mate should hold his ground.

But betting against your own team is a lose/lose proposition. Whatever happens, you'll feel a bit deflated. Better off leaving it alone. Tipping never had the same effect on me. Probably more experience with this as an Eels fan vs a Broncos supporter.

That depends..

When you say “before”, were these tipping comps around 10 years ago?

I won a few back then too..

Last one was in 2018. I shot out of the blocks when the Dragons won all their early games.. led by about 14 points after 8 rounds. Id picked em every week,

Then the crackdown on the rules was removed. I then went back to selecting dragons games with my head so not to blow my lead, unlike the Dragons themselves. Coasted home in the end.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Don't think of it as betting against your team, think of it as "how much am I prepared to pay to guarantee my team wins?"

Then if they win you've got your moneys worth, and if they lose you get your money back + a bit extra.

Latest posts