What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it Luscick we have signed?

willzy91

Juniors
Thought the recruiting focus would be on speedy and elusive backs, not forwards who can throw a punch.

I can only assume the club are looking to blood some young outside backs from within the club. Risky move but could also be a master stroke if it comes off as there are a few talented speedy kids coming through the ranks. Very excited about the prospect of Lomax getting a go at some point during the season.

qld redvee

Juniors
Seems a weird signing . apart from depth at best he will be a prop for reserve grade all year unless we have catostrophic injuries to our current pack. Is he better than Kerr / Lawrie ? You. would want james graham to mentor and teach Kerr and lawrie Seems like a waste of a top 30 spot unless he has signed for illawarra . I was hoping we were over these B grade forward signings we need quality so there is competition for spots thats why i was hoping for walmsley we need the top 30 to be just that where the COACH is forced to make changes for the better ( and thats another thread )

JDHD

Juniors
Seems a weird signing . apart from depth at best he will be a prop for reserve grade all year unless we have catostrophic injuries to our current pack. Is he better than Kerr / Lawrie ? You. would want james graham to mentor and teach Kerr and lawrie Seems like a waste of a top 30 spot unless he has signed for illawarra . I was hoping we were over these B grade forward signings we need quality so there is competition for spots thats why i was hoping for walmsley we need the top 30 to be just that where the COACH is forced to make changes for the better ( and thats another thread )

I don't think he's anything more than a depth signing who might see one or two Origin games. I'm fine with it for the same reasons I'm fine with Latimore: our depth got shown up badly this year and we used the equal least players. That's a bad place to be. I'd rather have players who've played first grade come through with the untested young guns during Origin than just have untested young guns with no support.

True_Believer

Juniors
I don't think he's anything more than a depth signing who might see one or two Origin games. I'm fine with it for the same reasons I'm fine with Latimore: our depth got shown up badly this year and we used the equal least players. That's a bad place to be. I'd rather have players who've played first grade come through with the untested young guns during Origin than just have untested young guns with no support.

Yep. This is it. Relying solely on the couple of young props coming through is a massive risk - and even then, if they come through, who replaces them in res? It's simply cheap depth with experinence that provides support for the youngsters and possibly first grade experience if they need to step up.

Old Timer

Coach
Untested young guns will only ever become tested young guns by them being selected and playing.
The notion that a failed journeyman is a better option than an untested young gun is interesting in itself.
Why not blood the young guns properly (pick them early in the season and show confidence in them) and then they will be prepared for life in 1st grade during origin.
If we don't select young guns over journeymen then when will they ever be ready?
When they go to another club perhaps?
Also I think the notion that selecting young guns during origin will lead to losses and maybe make us miss the 8 is also incorrect.
It is not the games lost during origin these last few years that have cost us a spot in the 8.
It is all the games we lost during the normal part of the season that should have been regulations wins for us and the workload that our strike forwards endured and the piss poor use of the bench.
The idea that Latimore or Allgood should get a guernsey over Host, Leilua, Kerr, Sele and Lawrie is beyond my comprehension and totally retro grade to our future.
If we are down a prop for a game or 2 then Simms or JDB to prop if not Lawrie or Kerr and put the young guys in the back row.

Old Timer

Coach
Haha, I remember when we signed Vaughan and McInnes people on here were destroying the recruiting too.
So do you rate Allgood?
Do you think he will be as good as Vaughan or Mc Innes?
Are you happy with depth signings or would you rather go for a high profile player and put the pressure on the existing 1st grade squad to hold their spots?

Crush

Coach
Typical Dragons 101;

1. sign another plodder in Allgood.

2. meanwhile, the Roosters see what it can do about pilfering Crichton from Souths.

3. never mind the bleeding obvious that SGI needs to urgently sign at least a couple of backs.

Postscript: where is the Dragons' obligatory, annual Canberra acquisition? Have I missed out on something?
You know you actually said the same thing about Vaughans signing initially. You said he was the obligitary Canberra signing and was a rubbish signing, even ricky didn't want him. And I think it was you that said of McInnes there were better hookers in Kings Cross?
Maybe you are being a bit harsh by saying sign another plodder. I dont think we have signed a plodder for a while.
I agree with you though that it would be nice to sign a quality back or two. I see the James Roberts rumour is doing the rounds again, hed be great.

mickeylane

Bench
hes played over 40 games in the ESL in the past 2 years - at least hes played competitive games and id imagine hes a big body along w Simms coming on and adding some much needed aggro

JDHD

Juniors
Untested young guns will only ever become tested young guns by them being selected and playing.
The notion that a failed journeyman is a better option than an untested young gun is interesting in itself.
Why not blood the young guns properly (pick them early in the season and show confidence in them) and then they will be prepared for life in 1st grade during origin.
If we don't select young guns over journeymen then when will they ever be ready?
When they go to another club perhaps?
Also I think the notion that selecting young guns during origin will lead to losses and maybe make us miss the 8 is also incorrect.
It is not the games lost during origin these last few years that have cost us a spot in the 8.
It is all the games we lost during the normal part of the season that should have been regulations wins for us and the workload that our strike forwards endured and the piss poor use of the bench.
The idea that Latimore or Allgood should get a guernsey over Host, Leilua, Kerr, Sele and Lawrie is beyond my comprehension and totally retro grade to our future.
If we are down a prop for a game or 2 then Simms or JDB to prop if not Lawrie or Kerr and put the young guys in the back row.

No worries mate xx

JDHD

Juniors
So do you rate Allgood?
Do you think he will be as good as Vaughan or Mc Innes?
Are you happy with depth signings or would you rather go for a high profile player and put the pressure on the existing 1st grade squad to hold their spots?

Who would you go for? It's very very very easy to say aim higher but please be specific.

Belta

Juniors
JDHD said; "Who would you go for? .....be specific"

I'd rephrase that question by saying what I'd prefer and that is easy, I'd prefer a quality first grade winger and/or centre and that's up to recruitment to find out who's available. It's the area that I'd concentrate on, ie either of the pommy wingers would do fine .. LOL

JDHD

Juniors
JDHD said; "Who would you go for? .....be specific"

I'd rephrase that question by saying what I'd prefer and that is easy, I'd prefer a quality first grade winger and/or centre and that's up to recruitment to find out who's available. It's the area that I'd concentrate on, ie either of the pommy wingers would do fine .. LOL

English outside backs never go well over here though, the game is too different for wingers and fullbacks re: yardage work and positional play. Joe Burgess, Greg Eden, Sam Tomkins, Zac Hardaker, all considered the absolute cream of the Super League and all four absolutely shit the bed over here.

So the question is again: who do you go for? Do you take a risk on an English player given the history of failure? Or do you try to poach a winger from another club? It's all very well and good to say 'we need wingers' but who do we want and who can we get? We're not getting Vunivalu or Addo-Carr unless we pay massive overs and how much of their form is Bellamy tying knots in a jug cord for every drop ball?

True_Believer

Juniors
English outside backs never go well over here though, the game is too different for wingers and fullbacks re: yardage work and positional play. Joe Burgess, Greg Eden, Sam Tomkins, Zac Hardaker, all considered the absolute cream of the Super League and all four absolutely shit the bed over here.

So the question is again: who do you go for? Do you take a risk on an English player given the history of failure? Or do you try to poach a winger from another club? It's all very well and good to say 'we need wingers' but who do we want and who can we get? We're not getting Vunivalu or Addo-Carr unless we pay massive overs and how much of their form is Bellamy tying knots in a jug cord for every drop ball?

I haven't seen the list of available players, but I'd suggest there probably isn't much left out there.

The proposals put forward so far seem to be:

1. Juggle players around to accommodate the youngsters - anything to not have the experienced depth see the light of day, even if it means potentially playing players out of position
  2. Just bring the youngsters through from the start - irrespective of whether they are ready or not. You won't know if you don't play them right? Besides, you can never have too many youngsters in the team at once.
  3. Screw the youngsters and buy quality upon quality to fight for the positions. Youngsters don't get a look in because we have so much quality lined up before them. Everyone including the youngsters will be happy to bide their time.
There's your options JDHD. Make your pick and run with it like a small boy in the field!!!