What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it time to go back to 1 referee?

Kiwi

First Grade
You can't even add any input apart from labelling me as a troll and chucking a few sentences together from previous posts with a few smilies here and there. Great work, come back when you actually have something more meaningful to contribute.

You started it

TheFrog

Coach
The difference is they are making the mistakes despite having countless replays at their disposal. Take the video ref away and you can live with a few on field blunders, add the video ref who has a bad strike rate when you consider they get whatever replays they want and how ever they want them and you can't excuse that.

Even with many replays, I'm not sure whether the ball touched the line in the no-try decision. The ref was on the spot and he was quite sure it hadn't. I thought it had at first but TV can be deceptive. He should have gone upstairs but I suspect it still would not have been given.

The Manly try that followed was more of a worry for me. This rule is completely unworkable. It's unreasonable that a sliding defender can't put a hand on a decoy runner. The game has a real problem with this rule. It should get coaches, who created the problem, together and develop a solution.

thorson1987

Coach
The Manly try that followed was more of a worry for me. This rule is completely unworkable. It's unreasonable that a sliding defender can't put a hand on a decoy runner. The game has a real problem with this rule. It should get coaches, who created the problem, together and develop a solution.

That try showed how the rule is supposed to work.

Manly ran a set play with decoys and the defender (Brooks) chose to attempt to tackle the decoy and Stewart caught the ball outside his decoy.

If the defender makes the decision to tackle the wrong player, why should they be given a penalty?

Kiwi

First Grade
Even with many replays, I'm not sure whether the ball touched the line in the no-try decision. The ref was on the spot and he was quite sure it hadn't. I thought it had at first but TV can be deceptive. He should have gone upstairs but I suspect it still would not have been given.

What you think that was the only problem? I am talking the game as a whole. How many years have the Cowboys been knocked out of the finals by the refs mistakes now? These refs and video refs are deciding games and ending seasons with their inconsistent calls. They are turning the game into a joke. People can live with the odd mistake, but when they are fundamental errors and errors that should not be made and include the video ref then we are in serious trouble as a code if this is acceptable in any way shape or form. I see less errors watching an ISC game on a sunday from refs, and there is one on the field, not as fast as NRL, but only one ref.

On the Manly try he received the ball on the outside of the decoy runner so fair try, the thing that has me scratching my head is Dugan Wednesday night received the ball behind the decoy runner which is a penalty and not try and was awarded. We'll seed a similar try get disallowed this year now doubt that will probably be identical to both that we awarded this week.

Snappy

Coach
Well "fumble ball" must be doing something right. They destroy the Nrl in ratings and get bums on seats week in week out. .

Yeh nah

They get better crowds, but the NRL takes a large dump on AFL when it comes to TV ratings.

big hit!

Bench
The term 'touch' judges should be eradicated from the vocab of rugby league and they should be called assistant referees.

Then give them more power to police the ruck, forward passes, general play.

Soccer sideline officials assist referees in such a way with fouls, hand balls, etc.

I can't believe that in this day and age, these two officials in rugby league have been demoted to glorified flag wavers who remain mute when big calls are to be made near them.

big hit!

Bench
Do you think the Nrl needs to revert back to 1 referee?

In my opinion I don't think 2 referees is working, I don't see any positives apart from managing the wrestling taking place in tackles and even that isn't being accomplished. (don't even get me started on this hand on the ball crap)

What we currently have is 2 referees regularly contradicting each other, there is no 2 referees in the competition that are on the exact same page when it comes to how the game should be played.

I think if we want more consistency during the game then 1 referee is the way to go, give them back complete control over the game. Sure we are still going to get inconsistent decisions being made game to game but I would much rather that than it being presented in the one game when one ref is seeing the game differently to the other.

I've been a fan of league my entire life, but I find myself watching more and more Afl as I can't wrap my head around how bad our once beloved game has become. I truly believe that this will be a step in the right direction to bringing back the game we once knew as the greatest game of all...

Dude, I'm not ashamed to say that I've enjoyed a lot of Aussie Rules Football over the years as I enjoy athleticism and the different aspects of sport in general. Sokka, NFL, cycling & tennis are also high up on my list of sports I enjoy.

But AFL has degenerated into an unwatchable, possession-based, rolling maul, stoppage-marred bore fest. I can't sit through any more than 5' of it these days and that's with the Swans doing so well. This belief isn't just mine either with the fall in crowds in just about all markets (ex Adelaide due to the new facility over there).

The truth is, the state of both of Australia's major football leagues is dire.

Canard

Immortal
Well "fumble ball" must be doing something right. They destroy the Nrl in ratings and get bums on seats week in week out. Even new expansions like the Gold Coast sun's pull in bigger crowds than most Nrl clubs.

The fact is I find it difficult to even watch a full game of league as a neutral supporter without getting frustrated due to the inability to referee the game correctly. Refereeing needs to be the utmost importance as new supporters will find it difficult to watch when half the time players and coaches have nfi about most decisions being made. When has the refereeing ever been this poor? And what has been the biggest recent changes made to refereeing? Adding an additional ref.. It's quite obvious it isn't working the way it was intended so why not change it back?

I've been a fan of league my whole life but the more I watch the more I get fed up with what the games become and that is a game with no substance.

We outlaw things that made our game unique and turned it into more of an abortion than Afl will ever become. People get fed up and will find other products to support and Afl being our direct competition it's only natural to at least give it a chance and who knows those people might like it and league will be left behind. Things certainly seem that way at the moment when you flick over the channel next time it's obvious to see that Afl is light years ahead in every aspect.

Blatant lie.

bobmar28

Bench
No way. If we had one ref Shane Hayne would still have been there on Friday night.

2 referees works.

Nerd

Bench
Well "fumble ball" must be doing something right. They destroy the Nrl in ratings and get bums on seats week in week out. Even new expansions like the Gold Coast sun's pull in bigger crowds than most Nrl clubs.

The fact is I find it difficult to even watch a full game of league as a neutral supporter without getting frustrated due to the inability to referee the game correctly. Refereeing needs to be the utmost importance as new supporters will find it difficult to watch when half the time players and coaches have nfi about most decisions being made. When has the refereeing ever been this poor? And what has been the biggest recent changes made to refereeing? Adding an additional ref.. It's quite obvious it isn't working the way it was intended so why not change it back?

I've been a fan of league my whole life but the more I watch the more I get fed up with what the games become and that is a game with no substance.

We outlaw things that made our game unique and turned it into more of an abortion than Afl will ever become. People get fed up and will find other products to support and Afl being our direct competition it's only natural to at least give it a chance and who knows those people might like it and league will be left behind. Things certainly seem that way at the moment when you flick over the channel next time it's obvious to see that Afl is light years ahead in every aspect.

Nice try mate but you have it all back to front. The AFL get beaten by the NRL ratings and have done so for the last few years to say otherwise is just fiction.

Since it also appears that spectators and ratings are declining for AFL across the country I'd say that your argument about people switching to AFL from League is also incorrect.

Please go back to Big Footy where such nonsense is accepted as fact.

Latest posts