What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is News Limited a fit and proper organisation to own a NRL team?

fightingirish69

Juniors
pretty interesting thread
i've always thought the nrl should take a microscope to the news/bronco's relationship
for the good of the other teams in the comp

Perth Red

Post Whore
last week AFL drew 16,000 TV viewers across the whole of Sydney. Yep I am sure the NRL are quaking in their boots!

Alexander needs to think about which side his bread is buttered on and stop talking down RL and up AFL. His comments in that article are borderline treasonous!

ozjet1

Yeah, I read that on the net, a link to it was on the page for Supecoach.

They're vetting the comments heavily now, I can't get one through.

And I wish blokes like Brandy would just shut the f**k up and stop giving this needle-dicked AFL fan ammunition.

May I ask why you are supporting the organisation?

El Diablo

Post Whore
this would upset Dean Ritchie http://www.sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/a-quiet-word-with-david-gallop-131889

A quiet word with David Gallop
28/7/2011 3:12 PM
Adam Lucius
Sportal

NRL boss David Gallop has endured another busy week, with the battle for control of western Sydney, betting on rugby league and the new broadcast deal all on his agenda. He took time out to answer some of the key questions.

Q: Is it a concern that a players' poll this week found one in five players bet on the game?

DG: From time to time it's easy to throw out rumours. We are very clear about our rules - you can't bet on rugby league if you're a player. If there was to be an issue of proven foul play then we wouldn't hesitate to include the police. I think it's a number (one in five) that is probably inflated well beyond anything real. It's easy to suggest that others are doing things.

How strong is the AFL challenge in Sydney's west?

DG: We can't rest on our laurels but rugby league is a success story in western Sydney.
We saturate the market with NRL teams, we saturate the market with junior teams and our participation numbers are rising. Sometimes the game needs to be more self-confident about how it's going in western Sydney.

Q: Tim Sheens is a strong supporter of league in the west and believes AFL is not the big threat it's made out to be. Surely his opinion counts for plenty?

DG: It does. Tim's been working in the game for a long time from Penrith to the Cowboys to Wests Tigers. He knows what's going on at the elite level and I think he appreciates that at grassroots level the game is very healthy.

So there's no crisis for the NRL in Sydney's west?

DG: Definitely not a crisis. People need to understand that rugby league is the success story in western Sydney in terms of the football codes.

Q: Are you concerned that 25 per cent of NRL players polled said they'd consider switch to AFL?

DG: It's a high number and probably an inflated one in terms of what the reality is. The AFL have taken a big punt on a couple of our players – let's see how that works out for them. The vast majority of our guys are going to stick to rugby league.

Q: Do you expect more and more players to hold off signing deals or have special clauses inserted in contracts ahead of the new broadcast deal?

DG: Everyone is going to benefit from what's going to be a fantastic deal for the game financially. Our existing clubs and our existing players deserve to benefit from that before we start to look to expanding beyond the 16 clubs we've got. I'd like to see them benefit from the increase in the size of the pie.

Q: So it's just player agents acting with due diligence on behalf of their clients?

DG: They can be having meaningful discussions with clubs about the potential levels of the cap and I'm sure that's happening. They may not be able to completely lock deals away but I think they've got a good guide about what the game is aiming to achieve.

El Diablo

Post Whore
DannyWeidler_smaller_normal.jpg

Danny_Weidler Danny Weidler

The battle for Sydney's west ... Hear Izzy Folau's view. Those paying him big bucks may wish he was not so honest. Nine News six pm.

Brutus

Referee
I cannot believe Ritchie and the Telegraph are trying to paint a RL crisis in the west based on where teams are positioned on the ladder and then give the AFL valuable paper space over it.

It was without doubt the most useless article ever.

Dean Ritchie GO AWAY NOW and take that idiot Editor-At-Large fruitcake with you. He's obviously the boofhead who came up with the idea.

El Diablo

Post Whore
and we had that other dick from the DT with his Keith Shady article from Prague the other day too

these bloke change codes at the drop of a hat

good riddance to them

Brutus

Referee
and we had that other dick from the DT with his Keith Shady article from Prague the other day too

these bloke change codes at the drop of a hat

good riddance to them

That was equally as appalling.

It's just going to get worse.

Thank god News LTD are f**king off.

May I ask why you are supporting the organisation?

By playing Supercoach with the other 127,000 Telegraph supporters?

Twice a week I spend 1/2 an hour beating myself senseless with a kendo stick as punishment. I figure that evens it out.

On Sundays I read the Sports pages of the Telegraph at my parents house because they buy the Tele and I don't. As punishment I walk the 10k's home on my hands whilst whistling Friday by Rebecca Black.

Supercoach is the only thing the Tele have that's worth looking at. Occassionaly, they have a link that I have a squiz at. When that happens I kill myself until the following Monday.

Brutus

Referee
Vautin is just as bad. On his weekly Sky Sports Radio spot he spent the first 5 minutes going on about how much he enjoyed the AFL game he went to on the Gold Goast (v Collingswould). He said the way the Titans are playing is turning people off in a big way and he can see why Gold Coast people are switching to the Suns who are on the "up and up".

I couldn't believe it. The friggin Suns have won 3 games all year.

Is there anyone on our side left in RL??

Rexxy

Coach
Questions News Ltd refuses to Answer...

Attention: Mr John Hartigan

Dear John,

1. I notice that News Ltd papers continued to report stories from News of the World well after phone hacking scandal broke — was this practice discussed by you with editors or other executives in the company? In retrospect, do you have any concerns about this? Why or why not?

2. I note that editors of at least some News Ltd publications including newspapers can give permission for payment for information or articles. Is this a matter that is being included in your editorial audit? Wh[y] or why not? How many occasions has News Ltd paid for information or stories over the last two years? Are there different rules for different publications? if so, what are they?

3. I notice from reports from Australian News Ltd journalists who have spent time working at News of the World (one of them being Rosie Squires) that payment for information and stories was endemic at News of the World. What is your opinion about this? Did you ever raise any concerns about this within wider international circles of News Ltd? Was this discussed at international News Ltd meetings?

4. Are there any circumstances in which you believe it would be acceptable for journalists or papers to hire private inquiry agents to assist with stories — what would these be?

5. Do you consider that bias by newspapers in cities where only one company owns a newspaper could ever be an issue? How do you monitor whether fair means of reporting the news are being applied across the company? What auditing or monitoring mechanisms do you apply? Are there occasions when you do take up matters of bias with editors?

6. Do you think that it would be a good idea if the Australian Press Council became an independent body with funding from both media and other sources including government?

7. Do you think it is appropriate for politicians and media owners or senior executives to meet privately? What would be the purpose of such meetings?

8. Is it true you have to keep Rebekah Wilson's mouth full of PIGGY BRAND PORK SCRATCHINGS, so you don't have to listen to her talk?

I know you are busy but would appreciate answers to these questions or the opportunity to interview you.

Regards,

Wendy Bacon

http://newmatilda.com/2011/07/25/que...to-wont-answer

Latest posts