What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Ricky Stuart stupid....or...

Lowdown

Juniors
A promoter's dream?

I suspect the former. He's an emotive guy, and seems to have attempted to unify his team, with an 'Us versus Them' and/or 'Pride for Australia above all else' mantra.

But why the hell would he, after a fairly comfortable win, come out and further incense the Kiwi team by labelling Kidwell's hit as a 'cheap shot', and accuse him of running at Jonathon Thurston, inferring therefore that he shys away from running at bigger players (in short - calling hiim a coward).

Surely this is the most insulting label you can give a player, and the way the Kiwis play for their country, this will only make them angrier to such a point that this Saturday, the men in black may actually have crossed the line into psychopathic rage.

Why would a coach run the risk? Why not show a little 'class' byt talking UP the opposition after the game; respecting their efforts; admiring their 'passion'. Whatever you privately tell your players is one thing, but to be so forthright in your apparent frustrations, and publicly supporting Willie Mason (and Civonoceiva - both of whom last time I checked should be able to look after themselves) whilst so publicly denouncing Kidwell is such a risky move.

Unless...he is a great promoter for the second test in Melbourne?

You can bet your sweet, sweet asses, that the media will have one story and one story only for this weeks buildup - War; Primitive, tribal, unashamedly hostile, simple war.

If there was a chance that ticket sales for the Telstra Dome game may be dissapointing, that chance seems minute now. Once the media bandwagon hits full swing, not one Kiwi in Melbourne will want to be anywhere else but front and centre come kick off, and I bet a lot of interested Melbournians will be lured back to the Dome for a bit of League action, in the same curious (but so obviously blood lusting) form which draws them to Origin.

What ever the turn-out, we are set for a crackerjack game. I do however suspect that Ricky Stuart might not be that smart. That he forgets that he no longer plays for Australia - he coaches them. That you fire up your own men, not the oppositions, and you concentrate on what you can control, not take that control away from you.

One thing is for certain: If the Kiwis win on Saturday night...there is one person to thank, and it wont be Kidwell, nor Mason. It will be Ricky Stuart.

kiwi_man

Juniors
i dont understand all the bitching from the australians point of view, do they realise the sport they are playing is rugby league, and there will be some big hits dished out... thats the sport so deal with it, neither of kidwells tackles on civinoceva in the grandfinal or the hit on big willie were cheap shots they were good big hits and perfectly legal.
jesus be careful to lay a big hit kiwis because the aussies will sook about it for days....
toughen up you cats

ozboy

Juniors
The point is that Kidwell can make all the big hits in defence he wants, but when it comes down to his turn to run into a pack of opposition forwards wanting retribution, he hides out in the centres and lets his wingers do the work for him.

Kidwell will in most likeliness only drop the ball anyway, so for NZ he is probably better off hiding anyway.

Mr Saab

Referee
I thought Kidwells hit on Petero in the GF was fine and in no way a cheap shot. 1st time i have seen Petero stay on the ground after a hit!
This is rugby league, it aint oztag...you run the ball up (as petero did) you expect to get hit.
Heck, in a 1998 semi vs the storm, Petero hammered Robbie Kearns from the side in a massive tackle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9vTHXT8FwI (56th second)

No issue with that either.
Ricky is a tad precious with this "cheap shot" crap.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I've actually been confused how either those htis mentioned are 'cheap shots'... I say they're just great hits

Lowdown

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Its called sledging, it takes players away from their game.

Take them away from their game? Are you serious? If a forwards' game plan consists of smashing the crap out of the opposition, both with the ball and without it - how can this take players away from that.

This will only fire them up, and lets face - Rugby League is not Rocket Science, nor Heart surgery. Pick up ball. Run forward. Get smashed. Repeat.

But put a red flag in front of the bull in this simple game, and you get interesting results. I would not be surprised if NZ will come back a la QLD in 1995 and Origin 2, 2006 ...and if you dont know what this means...look up 'ruthless' in the dictionary.

Inferno

Coach
:lol:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20586996-23214,00.html

Reading that article it is pretty obvious what he is trying to do.

He's trying to fire up his own guys, not the Kiwis. By mocking Kidwell, he's trying to bait him into trying to prove how tough he is by running at the forwards and not Thurston. Its not a bad tactic by Ricky to be honest. Its not like the kiwis wouldn't be fired up anyway. What the hell is wrong with Kidwell running at Thurston, which club doesn't run at the other teams little men. Personally I hope Kidwell does exactly the same thing game 2 as he did in game 1.

Surandy

Bench
ozboy said:
The point is that Kidwell can make all the big hits in defence he wants, but when it comes down to his turn to run into a pack of opposition forwards wanting retribution, he hides out in the centres and lets his wingers do the work for him.

Kidwell will in most likeliness only drop the ball anyway, so for NZ he is probably better off hiding anyway.

Why run at strong forwards? If you run at smaller, in theory weaker, players then you have more chance of bashing your way through the line instead of getting yourself smashed like Mason did. Good tactics in my view, and a great hit.

ozboy

Juniors
Surandy said:
Why run at strong forwards? If you run at smaller, in theory weaker, players then you have more chance of bashing your way through the line instead of getting yourself smashed like Mason did. Good tactics in my view, and a great hit.

David Kidwell. Official stats of 10 hit ups for 54 metres.

Seems like we might have to wheel out Ben Walker and Paul Green and put them next to each other for Kidwell to run at. Might just make more than 6 metres on average this time.

nqboy

First Grade
The angrier Kidwell gets, the more errors he is likely to make and the more penalties he is likely to give away. Against that, you have to balance the lift he gives to his team with his passion (though they're not much smarter than him in terms of allowing their passion to cloud their focus). A calculated gamble on Stuart's part I think.

skeepe

Immortal
What's all this cheap shot business? Kidwell got Mason dead front on.

I suppose any shoulder-charge is a cheap-shot is it Ricky? Have a f**king cry you pansy. As for Willie Mason... what a f**kwit.

lets go any play touch shall we! hunt got blindside twice they wasn't called cheap shot. francis meli is the king of it. he doesn't run at the forwards all day.

Sanchez

Coach
stuart is just good with a good team
ie roosters with fittler
he left roosters turned crap
stuarts coaching ability=ZERO

harmichael

Juniors
i can't belive stuart's comments about kidwell running at the smaller men. What does he think reni maitua was doing all game? it's called a wide running backrower, every team in rugby league has them including australia in the form of o'donnell and maitua. i didn't see reni maitua run in the middle of the ruck too many times for australia. why? because it's not his job.

innsaneink

Referee
Lowdown said:
Take them away from their game? Are you serious? If a forwards' game plan consists of smashing the crap out of the opposition, both with the ball and without it - how can this take players away from that.

This will only fire them up, and lets face - Rugby League is not Rocket Science, nor Heart surgery. Pick up ball. Run forward. Get smashed. Repeat.

But put a red flag in front of the bull in this simple game, and you get interesting results. I would not be surprised if NZ will come back a la QLD in 1995 and Origin 2, 2006 ...and if you dont know what this means...look up 'ruthless' in the dictionary.
There is controlled, methodical aggression, and then there is ill disciplined, emotion fuelled rage, sledging can sometimes bring on the latter, if you had a clue you'd realise the former is far more effective in this game.

Latest posts