What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is State of Origin hindering NRL expansion?

clarency

Juniors
I had some thoughts about this at work today. I mean it's difficult for many NSW/QLD'ers to get an idea of, (me included) but this fight over rights to be called "rugby league homeland"... I can't help but wonder... as it is only between 2 states, wouldn't the others naturally feel somewhat left out of the "ingroup".

- If SOO never existed would expansion be easier?
- If we had outright proof that canning the SOO would dramatically increase interest in rugby league from all states (yes... including Tasmania) would you support that move?
- Is this a major waste of the 20 seconds it took you to read this and the 2 minutes it took me to write?

What say people from outside NSW and QLD?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Once you have enough clubs and juniors coming through the ranks outside of NSW/QLD you would have to rethink how SoO works. Maybe bringing in a barbarians type outfit which includes everybody else playing in the NRL (NZ, England, etc and all the other states), might prolong the contest. It's quite a good money spinner, one you wouldn't throw to the curb that easily.

typicalfan

Coach
After 1908 teams entered prior to State of Origin as it is today? 8. Teams in the last 30 years introduced since State of Origin? 12 or if you include the Gold Coast twice then 13 with more on the immediate horizon.

Question is would proper expansion be even possible without the cash cow that is State of Origin, or would we even have some of the teams we have today like the Canberra Raiders, Brisbane Broncos, New Zealand Warriors, Melbourne Storm and North Queensland Cowboys

Eels Dude

Coach
No. Simple fact is no other states in Australia produce enough quality juniors to field a competitive state side. Once other states producing players at grassroot level and developing proper local club competitions. of a high quality then this idea can be re-examined. To suggest that NSW and QLD is not rugby league's heartland in Australia is ridiculious.

typicalfan

Coach
I don't think State of Origin will ever die at least in our lifetime, there may be other marquee events but they should be added to the calendar and not replace. I think the All Stars game, provided it has proper rules and the NRL coaches not whine and moan about injuries to key players could be the vehicle to take the game to the smaller states down the track but not at the expense of SOO.

Eels Dude

Coach
Also to further on, if anything, state of origin is selling point for expansion. It's one of the only games to be showed live in Melbourne on television every year and offers a contest that our main rival the AFL cannot. They just have their premiership comp, nothing outside it. State of Origin the way it stands now is the best selling point rugby league has to the rest of Australia.

typicalfan

Coach
It is like 3 contests the equivalent or more of a Grand Final because each one on its own has massive viewership only rivaled by the NRL and AFL grand final.

I bet the AFL would like 4 Grand Finals during their year.

bartman

Immortal
They need to start a new version of origin... maybe Pacific Islanders v New Zealand, or North Island v South Island and others or something.

Just start it with one game like NSW v QLD origin did, play it in Auckland and gauge the reaction. If it's a success, then do two games the next season, and then a full blown series the year after.

Obviously moving SOO to a weekend would help with this new origin game - you could play NSW v Qld on the Fri night TV, have Pacific Islands v NZ on the Sunday arvo TV, and then let Super Saturday give some much needed promotion to the NSW or Qld Cups on those weekends - schedule some double/triple headers at a decent ground and let NRL members in for $5 to make up for having a NRL bye weekend.

bartman

Immortal
Oh, and we're about 15 years away from being able to have a rep level origin side drawn from states outside NSW and Qld, even if you combine all the other Australian states.

Worth investigating in the future, but you need 20 years of a professional club/comp set up operating in a state first before juniors come through. It's tough, but you can't help where you're born - Ryan Giggs still always had to play for Wales.

Perth Red

Post Whore
SOO is the pinnacle of the Australian domestic competition and as such is a major factor in raising the profile of the game in non RL states. For some states it is the only RL games we get on at a decent time and draws decent viewing figures on teh back of that. At work last year the AFL guys all watched it and loved it, especially the game with the biff.

I hope one day to see a Vic v WA undercard game as well.

clarency

Juniors
I'd very much like to see new state teams drawn. Even if they are simply pitted against one another rather than the bigger 2.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'd very much like to see new state teams drawn. Even if they are simply pitted against one another rather than the bigger 2.

But no other states would be able to produce sides. If you picked a side from the best players available from Vic, SA, and WA combined, they'd still probably get beaten by the worst reserve grade side in NSW. Why would such a low quality match be a good thing for the game?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
This is honestly like saying, did the Ashes hinder progress to other nations? (yes I know, NZ were playing before the Ashes started)

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't mean tomorrow...

Well if that's the case then suggest it when it is do-able, instead of now. If rugby league grows it's junior bases and grassroots competitions in other states other than NSW and QLD then this kind of idea could be considered, but that will take 20 years plus. So we cannot consider any attempts to expand SOO until then becuase THAT will be a hinderance.

Hanscholo

Bench
I had some thoughts about this at work today. I mean it's difficult for many NSW/QLD'ers to get an idea of, (me included) but this fight over rights to be called "rugby league homeland"... I can't help but wonder... as it is only between 2 states, wouldn't the others naturally feel somewhat left out of the "ingroup".

- If SOO never existed would expansion be easier?
- If we had outright proof that canning the SOO would dramatically increase interest in rugby league from all states (yes... including Tasmania) would you support that move?
- Is this a major waste of the 20 seconds it took you to read this and the 2 minutes it took me to write?

What say people from outside NSW and QLD?

I dont see why SOO holds back expansion at all?

To the contrary it is the games most vital advertisment interstate, and actually allows growth into those markets from a viewing perspective, raising interest and making expansion and long term success there far more viable than it otherwise would be.

Teddyboy

First Grade
They need to start a new version of origin... maybe Pacific Islanders v New Zealand, or North Island v South Island and others or something.

Just start it with one game like NSW v QLD origin did, play it in Auckland and gauge the reaction. If it's a success, then do two games the next season, and then a full blown series the year after.

Obviously moving SOO to a weekend would help with this new origin game - you could play NSW v Qld on the Fri night TV, have Pacific Islands v NZ on the Sunday arvo TV, and then let Super Saturday give some much needed promotion to the NSW or Qld Cups on those weekends - schedule some double/triple headers at a decent ground and let NRL members in for $5 to make up for having a NRL bye weekend.

Maybe get rid of International Rugby League and replace it with State of Origin between N.S.W.,QLD,New Zealand and Pacific Islands.
Maybe a strong England could tour every 10 years against those sides above as well as an Australian team.

Shanky

Juniors
i think it would be cool to see a 3rd side introduced as someone said like a barbarians concept. it would mean that kiwis, the english and players being brought up in states other than nsw and qld could play origin. have a 3 game round robin and a final. gives broadcasters an extra game while players would still only play 3 rep games each.

the only thing is that the "barbarians" matches wouldnt have the feeling of the nsw v qld game, and i dont know if there is even the potential to build it up to that kind of level no matter how good their team is. i cant see me hating anyone more than queenslanders in my lifetime :p.

cleary89

Coach
Bit off topic, but isn't Jeremy Smith the only Melbourne juniour (i.e. from Melbourne, not the storm) in the NRL?

Heard it somewhere but haven't had it confirmed.