What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the record REALLY gone ?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Just stating a fact adam. Hope that's OK with you.

8 tries scored in each grand final.

In 1975, the great Johnny Peard could kick them from anywhere - he potted 7 that day.

In 2008, Manly had Orford, Matai and Lyon - no where near the same class as Peard.

As Keen4Green said, 'what a team'.

But rugby league is about scoring tries. If you think its about kicking goals, I hear Randwick have a pretty good football team which you might enjoy watching.

Dave Q

Coach
lol @ try-hard Saints trolls.,,big girl's blouses they are.

A long way from home and waay out of their depth.

Jasdragon

Juniors
lol @ try-hard Saints trolls.,,big girl's blouses they are.

A long way from home and waay out of their depth.

Were not the ones sucking the dicks of our teams mortal enemy :lol:! You tried to pathetically troll around in our forum only to be totally humiliated and proven to be one of the biggest dicks on LU :p.

stumped

Juniors
Both grand finals (1975 and 2008) had 8 tries scored, so its a moot point.

good point willow, your spin doctoring ability is totally amazing, so if the Roosters supporters were to say that the 75 Roosters winning side completed more point scoring oppertunitys than Manly in 2008 would that mean the 75 team scored more?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well as Brycey pointed out in the NRL forum thread, you have to play with the cards that you're dealt with, not five hands later.

The record books can't change retrospectively because of subsequent rule changes.

Imagine all score sheets going back to 1908 being altered to have tries worth four points. It would certainly open a pandora's box.

For example, in the 1946 grand final Balmain defeated St George 13-12 but Saints scored four tries to three, so in retrospect it was actually 16-all?

And let's not get started on when field goals were worth two points. Eric Simms would have been put back in his box if they only were worth one point.

Always fun to discuss these things, but it borders on the bizarre when folks start to take it seriously.

adamkungl

Immortal
Well as Brycey pointed out in the NRL forum thread, you have to play with the cards that you're dealt with, not five hands later.

The record books can't change retrospectively because of subsequent rule changes.

Imagine all score sheets going back to 1908 being altered to have tries worth four points. It would certainly open a pandora's box.

For example, in the 1946 grand final Balmain defeated St George 13-12 but Saints scored four tries to three, so in retrospect it was actually 16-all?

And let's not get started on when field goals were worth two points. Eric Simms would have been put back in his box if they only were worth one point.

Always fun to discuss these things, but it borders on the bizarre when folks start to take it seriously.

Ok ok. Can we all agree that St George of 1975 made the most pathetic grand final showing of all time?

God-King Dean

Immortal
I can live with the Roosters crying over the record (since it's not there's anymore).

I will just imagine what the score would be against the Bulldogs on May 11 1935. :cool:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ok ok. Can we all agree that St George of 1975 made the most pathetic grand final showing of all time?
For premiership deciders, I think the Balmain dummy spit in 1909 might hold that honour.

But its all very subjective. Personally I thought Melbourne 2008 was the worst grand final capitulation I've seen, especially given that they were minor premiers and not considered rank outsiders. They went from being premiershop favourites to underdogs and then also rans in the space of a fortnight.

In 1975, East were red hot and a league ahead of the field. I recall looking at the line up and thinking that the entire backline and most of the forward pack could play for Australia.

Last edited:
I can live with the Roosters crying over the record (since it's not there's anymore).

I will just imagine what the score would be against the Bulldogs on May 11 1935. :cool:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Lol mate you got a good point.
Ok found it, might as well go the whole fortnight hey!

St George
1935 - Dragons (19 tries) v Bulldogs (0 tries) - 91 points to 6
2008 - Dragons 110, Bulldogs 6
Easts
1935 - Roosters (19 tries) v Bulldogs (1 try) - 87 points to 7
2008 - Roosters 106, Bulldogs 8