What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is there a doctor in the house?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
if you're near JT, the answer could be 'yes' very soon...

Johnathan Thurston to receive Honorary Doctor of Letters from James Cook University

Johnathan Thurston will be able to add 'Doctor' to his long list of titles and accomplishments as he is set to be bestowed one of James Cook University's (JCU) highest honours.

On Wednesday, Thurston will be presented with an Honorary Doctor of Letters at a graduation ceremony in Townsville, as recognition for his "outstanding service and exceptional contributions" to the north Queensland community.

The 32-year-old's deeds on the field need no embellishment, particularly this year after leading North Queensland to a maiden NRL crown and Queensland to a ninth State of Origin title in 10 years, netting a record fourth Dally M player of the year and winning a third Golden Boot award as best player in the world.

But JCU's gesture is for his tireless dedication to a broad range of community programs, groups and charities, as well as his undeniable status as role model and inspiration for thousands of indigenous people, especially children, across the country.

"He is a mentor to so many in north Queensland and beyond," said James Cook University's Chancellor, Lt Gen John Grey AC.
"The qualities he displays - humility, sportsmanship, leadership, mateship, and loyalty to his community - are widely respected. Johnathan Thurston is an inspiration to youth and the broader community."

Thurston said he was extremely humbled by the honour.
"It has been an amazing year for me personally and professionally, and I am really excited to be finishing the year with this honour," he said.
"I take pride in the work I do and the time I spend in the community. I am passionate about north Queensland and the north Queensland people.
"I believe that the way forward for indigenous people is through education and I am committed to using my profile to assist that cause in any way possible.
"Thank you to James Cook University for recognising the work I do away from the football field."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...om-james-cook-university-20151215-gloknx.html

good to see they're doing it for his work off the field too..

move over Dr J, we now have Dr JT..

beave

Coach
So this basically ends any argument/discussion on the standings of JT vs joEy Johns in the game and society.

JT 'Honorary Doctorate in Letters' > joeys 'doctorate in Ecstalogy'

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
218157-110928-lockyer.jpg

Cowboy_4_Life

Juniors
It would seem the honours given out reflect specific traits.

Locky has a gravel voice - give him a highway
JT gives the fans heart attacks during games - make him a doctor
Joey is a drugo space cadet - put him on channel 9

beave

Coach
As a rate payer of the city of Ipswich, I find that sign and the person holding it offensive. I want it taken down and replaced with a player who has done more for rugby league, especially in the wonderful area of NQ than that croaky voiced idiot ever has.

'Ben Hunt Highway' has a far better ring to it and should be a person to be remembered by all for his efforts in the NRL, especially for the great club the 'NQ Cowboys'.............

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Imagine your having a heartattack on a plane and someone calls for a doctor and JT stands up, laughing...just f**king throw me out the plane.

Cowboy_4_Life

Juniors
'Ben Hunt Highway' has a far better ring to it and should be a playe to be remembered by all for his efforts in the NRL, especially for the great club the 'NQ Cowboys'.............

I'd be too nervous to drive on it - I wouldn't expect anything made from rubber and filled with air to stay on it for very long.

beave

Coach
Ha!

Awaiting the Broncos brigade 'oh but we have 6 premierships to your 1!' rhetoric......

gUt

Coach

It's a lovely and well deserved honour for the greatest rugby league player of all time to have some bitumen named after him but it's a bit cheap they make him hold the sign up instead of investing in some poles. That's the mining downturn for you though.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Ha!

Awaiting the Broncos brigade 'oh but we have 6 premierships to your 1!' rhetoric......

It's probably a fair argument, you certainly get your moment in the sun but eventually it does come down to a numbers game. Why do you think Souths fans are (mostly) so intolerable? :)

Cowboy_4_Life

Juniors
Ha!

I prefer to look at the head-to-head. Like how many elimination finals have Broncos won vs Cowboys; or how many GF's have they won against Cowboys (NRL & 9's)? ..........Zero

When it comes to the ones that matter, poor old Donkeys just don't get a look in....

gUt

Coach
You guys finally have a proper team to follow and not be ashamed of but you still carry on like the insecure, poor hick cousins from up north? Deary me.

Congrats on your premiership, you're now as good as the Dragons and Tigers.

Cowboy_4_Life

Juniors
You guys finally have a proper team to follow and not be ashamed of but you still carry on like the insecure, poor hick cousins from up north? Deary me.

Congrats on your premiership, you're now as good as the Dragons and Tigers.

I guess you have A POINT.......Which would've been much more handy around 10 weeks ago.....Huh.....Am I right?? :lol:

Latest posts