What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isaac Gordon, what is his preferred position?

The Dodger

First Grade
i read in this forum somewhere that Isaac Gordon is a natural fullback and is wasted on the wing.

Can someone confirm this for me please?

On the sharks website, it says he is a winger, i cannot see anywhere saying that he is a fullback or him mentioning that he prefers that position.

Special K

Coach
His dad said he thinks he is a fullback in a Newcastle paper and now the forum are all over it.

Personally I think nobody at our club is an NRL quality fullback at the moment. We have a bunch of under 20s against guys like Slater, Gidley, Bowen, Hayne, Dugan, Coote etc... We have not had a decent 1 since Peachey (Kearney doesn't count as he was barely on the field)

carcharias

Immortal
His dad said he thinks he is a fullback in a Newcastle paper and now the forum are all over it.

Personally I think nobody at our club is an NRL quality fullback at the moment. We have a bunch of under 20s against guys like Slater, Gidley, Bowen, Hayne, Dugan, Coote etc... We have not had a decent 1 since Peachey (Kearney doesn't count as he was barely on the field)

I reckon we have only had about 3 or 4 good ones all up.

The Dodger

First Grade

yeah it was the below article;

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...flash-gordon-on-radar-at-knights/1813122.aspx

but that is it, no where else does it say that his preferred position is fullback.

heres another article i found on the sharks website which might have some relevence as to why he hasn't been slotted into that position just yet (if it is the case that his preferred position is fullback)

http://www.sharks.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=25013

Sharks Gordon Finds His Feet
Adam Lucius, Sportal
27/04/2010 7:54:23 PM
Cronulla winger Isaac Gordon feels he's arrived in the NRL after admitting he struggled for confidence after being elevated ahead of schedule at the start of the year.
As he prepares to play in just his fifth top grade match against bitter rivals St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium on Saturday night, the Sharks flyer revealed being dropped after two rounds was probably the best thing to happen to him.
"I didn't think I’d be starting the season in first grade and I don’t think Ricky (Stuart) did either to be honest," Gordon said.
"I played the first and second round but then found myself out of the team."
"I probably wasn't playing with the confidence I needed so when I got another chance I wanted to show that I was up to it."
After his two-try double in the win over Newcastle took his season tally to three, the rookie winger is starting to show he belongs.
"It's always good to get a couple of 'meat pies' and hopefully there are a few more to come," Gordon said.
"Like I said, it was all about confidence and I feel I'm getting better in that area with each game."
Gordon and the Sharks face arguably their toughest test of the season to date on Saturday night.
Local derbies are always fierce encounters and the top-of-the-table Dragons go in at the peak of their game.
"It's going to be a very tough game," Gordon declared.
"I played my junior football with the Sharks and the rivalry with the Dragons was always pretty intense."
"They're killing it at the moment but we go in with a bit of confidence."
"For us it all comes down to completing sets. We completed 79 per cent against Storm and they only just beat us and we did it against Parramatta and Newcastle and came away with wins."
"We've just to hold the ball and get to our kicks."
"If we do exactly what we did on Saturday night and get into the grind then we'll be in the game."
Stuart has named an unchanged side for the short trip to the Gong, adding Stuart Flanagan to an extended bench.

Isaac also says how he played his junior football at the sharks.
does it really matter who you played with when you were ten?

Last edited:

Vossy

Bench
we cried foul when we had no speed on the flanks, now we do, people want him moved to the back..

make up your mind

Weaponhead

Coach
He played all his junior footy as a fullback.

Where he played his junior footy is meaningless. Covell played junior footy as a half back. Most NRL backs played in key positions as juniors because they were better thean the other kids.

Gordon is late developer who can run. He is just finding his feet in first grade and his best option in this team is on the wing. A fullback needs to have the ability to read the game and bark instructions to the front line. I don't see that in him yet.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Maybe, but I was the one who started here, well before that article.

link

Ike was being groomed as the replacement for The Peach at the Bears in 2008. He also played some fullback in the winning 2004 Endeavour side but had others like Mitch Brown for example in front of him there and he was a dead set midget.

I based my desire to see him get a go there on the things I already knew about him.

Preston started as a winger before moving to FB before moving to HB.

No one saw that coming.

wattsy32

Juniors
The poor bastard doesnt get enough ball, so I'd say give him a run at fullback, give him a chance at counter attack...hey we can't do any worse!

The Dodger

First Grade
so his preferred position is fullback.

could it be a confidence issue then?
and the sharks site only states that he is a winger.

from what i have seen of gardner, he looks pretty good, haven't seen any situations where he's stuffed a bomb but he runs hard and does make quite a few tackle busts which is something we haven't seen in our first grade side for a while (a fullback that can bust tackles)

you never know, they could rotate around during the game.

Inferno

Coach
With who though Dodger, Stapo was dropped. Might rotate with Fergo, but he's had issues of his own in recent weeks.

Latest posts