What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Isaah Yeo and Nathan Cleary named co-captains for 2021

roofromoz

First Grade
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2021/02/09/yeo-and-cleary-named-panthers-captains/

Penrith Panthers is delighted to announce Isaah Yeo and Nathan Cleary have been appointed co-captains of the Panthers for 2021.

With 148 NRL games under his belt, 26-year-old Yeo is the club’s most experienced campaigner while 23-year-old Cleary has grown into leadership as the team’s halfback for the last five years.

“When I watched Isaah and Nathan during the first few weeks of this pre-season, they were organically leading those around them,” Panthers coach Ivan Cleary said.

“It was immediately apparent what was best for our team. It felt like those two had already been appointed. It was just that natural.

“As first-time captains, I think it’s beneficial they can share the burden of extra responsibilities that come with the role.

“Of course neither of them are the finished product but this opportunity will allow them to continue growing as leaders. I know they will do an excellent job for our club.”
Born in Dubbo, Yeo was a member of the premiership-winning Panthers NYC side in 2013 and was handed his NRL debut by Ivan Cleary the following year.

“As someone who came to the club as a 17-year-old and worked my way through the grades, to find myself in this position now is something my family and I are very proud of,” Yeo said.

“It’s an absolute privilege to be appointed to this role alongside Nathan. I think we’ve both grown a lot as footballers and leaders over the past couple of years.

“As a captain of this proud club I want to be leading by example, on and off the field, and I’ll be doing that to the best of my ability.”
A local junior with Penrith Brothers, Nathan Cleary made his NRL debut at Panthers in 2016 and marked his 100th game milestone in the 2020 NRL Grand Final.

“I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to lead this club with my good mate Yeoy (Isaah Yeo),” Cleary said.

“When you look at the past greats who have captained at Panthers, it’s quite overwhelming to think about being in that same position. It’s an immense honour.

“I’ve learned a lot about leadership over the last few years. This is just another step in that journey and I’ll be doing everything I can to help our club achieve success this season.”

WestyLife

First Grade
@herbert henry1908 twitter sucks for discussion with it's character limit. Origin 2 and 3 he performed well. The big game thing is a myth at this point perpetuated by people trying to counter the media over hyping him. The Covid break thing is a mark against him for sure and should factor into any discussion on it.

For me this isn't new though and trying to justify anything I called it before it happened and for good reason. He's our playmaker and game controller who has on field authority and responsibility. Who also has to shoulder the overwhelming public/media scrutiny for what happens on field.

Yeo will never have that kind of role in the team. He's the cultural leader who embodies the club and it's values. He's who I'd pick if it was singular captain for that reason and I rarely think forwards should be captain. In saying that there is justification to picking cleary as the co captain.

Sime_11

Juniors
@herbert henry1908
For me this isn't new though and trying to justify anything I called it before it happened and for good reason. He's our playmaker and game controller who has on field authority and responsibility. Who also has to shoulder the overwhelming public/media scrutiny for what happens on field.

Yeo will never have that kind of role in the team. He's the cultural leader who embodies the club and it's values. He's who I'd pick if it was singular captain for that reason and I rarely think forwards should be captain. In saying that there is justification to picking cleary as the co captain.

100% - i had my doubts if Cleary would really kick on and be a dominant NRL half, but his 2020 season prove that.

from memory it was the 2nd half against the Warriors last year - go watch that game and that shows you why Cleary is co-captain material. He used his defence to fire up the team that just wasnt having a great night - he won the game for us in that second half, using his defence & voice to fire his team up and then used his position to ice the game - especially the solo try to seal it at the end

WestyLife

First Grade
100% - i had my doubts if Cleary would really kick on and be a dominant NRL half, but his 2020 season prove that.

from memory it was the 2nd half against the Warriors last year - go watch that game and that shows you why Cleary is co-captain material. He used his defence to fire up the team that just wasnt having a great night - he won the game for us in that second half, using his defence & voice to fire his team up and then used his position to ice the game - especially the solo try to seal it at the end

That was the Cowboys at Panthers stadium. Great second half.

franklin2323

Immortal
Just curious, out of the current crop of NRL halfbacks do you have any of them at the great halfback level?

Nope. If I was doing top player in NRL rating one wouldn't be in the top 10. Since Cronk and JT retired the standard in 7 dropped.

They usually kick well, most now aren't terrible in defence but the Spark comes from Fullbacks and 5/8 in the team

The_Frog

First Grade
Nope. If I was doing top player in NRL rating one wouldn't be in the top 10. Since Cronk and JT retired the standard in 7 dropped.

They usually kick well, most now aren't terrible in defence but the Spark comes from Fullbacks and 5/8 in the team
There's still time for him to go higher. Cronk and JT weren't yet at their best at his age. Cronk just kept getting better, JT hit his peak in the premiership year.

panthersam

Juniors
There's still time for him to go higher. Cronk and JT weren't yet at their best at his age. Cronk just kept getting better, JT hit his peak in the premiership year.

Absolutely, not many halves have come close to hitting the peak at the age of 23 - most players in general actually. I’d say Nathan is well advanced than a lot of the players in his position at the moment too.

franklin2323

Immortal

Of course. The current fullbacks are guns but most over positions it is a changing of the guard. Young guys still on the way up guys like Cleary, Staggs and so on

franklin2323

Immortal
Absolutely, not many halves have come close to hitting the peak at the age of 23 - most players in general actually. I’d say Nathan is well advanced than a lot of the players in his position at the moment too.

Mine wasn't a slight on him or other halves but you look across the league and who has a 7 that is the best attacking threat?

Even GC are different side when Brimson plays. The new rules should help 7's dominate more