What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'm seeing a lot of talk about looking outside the club for outside backs. For wingers? Sure. Definitely think there's a lot out there that we could look at poacihing to improve our side.

But this kid... Forget about looking for another centre. Zac is going to lock down a centre position for the next decade if we can hold onto him. Yes, I am that confident.
So we need to buy one or two wingers and one centre. I still am hopeful that Marsters can become one centre or even a winger. Periera, Matherson Johns or Saab could even become one of our wingers.

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_dragons_isp_round_9_damien_sironen.jpg

INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

ISP team: Round 21 v Bulldogs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 31 Jul 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Intrust Super Premiership coach Mat Head has named his Round 21 team to play the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on Saturday, August 4 (12:45pm) at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

The Dragons weren't good enough to beat the Wyong Roos last weekend and will be looking for a good performance against the Bulldogs.

ISP team for Round 21 v Bulldogs:

1. Pat Herbert
2. John Tohi
3. Reuben Garrick
4. Zac Lomax
5. Steven Marsters
6. Adam Clune
7. Darren Nicholls
8. Pio Sokobalavu
9. Reece Robson
10. Mitchell Allgood
11. Jackson Ford
12. Joe Lovodua
13. Hame Sele

Interchange:
14. Ash Nisbet
15. Damien Sironen
16. Trent Peoples
17. TJ Uele
20. Jack Payne

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/31/isp-team-round-21-v-bulldogs/

getsmarty

Immortal
2018---flegg---dragons---hayden-lomax---4735_1.jpg

JERSEY FLEGG

Jersey Flegg team: Round 21 v Bulldogs
Author
Timestamp
Tue 31 Jul 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg coach Wayne Collins has named his team to play the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on Friday, August 3 (6:30pm) at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah.

This match will be crucial to the final make-up of the Jersey Flegg top eight, with both teams looking to force their way into the top four prior to the finals.

This will be the Jersey Flegg team's first and only game at the venue for the year and Collins said the whole squad is looking forward to it.

"It's a venue I love and the players are really excited about the opportunity to have a game here," Collins said.

"Our clash with the Dogs earlier this year went down to the wire, and with them only a win behind us I predict this one won't be much different."

The young Dragons form has been a little inconsistent this season due to the promotion of key players to the Intrust Super Premiership throughout the year.

Being able to name a more settled line up these past few weeks, with the likes of Jayden Morgan, Tyran Wishart and Tristan Sailor, has proving to beneficial for the young Dragons' consistent form.

"Whenever our forwards have been able to match it in the middle our backs have really been exciting to watch," Collins said.

"Both our centres Matheson Johns and Shaun Sauni-Esau have played a little reserve grade this year so when we can get them involved it is really showing our strengths."

Entry is only $5 – it's a great opportunity to get along and see the next generation in the Red V.

Jersey Flegg team for Round 21 v Bulldogs:

1. Tristan Sailor
2. Sam McCann
3. Shaun Sauni-Esau
4. Matheson Johns
5. Jason Gillard
6. Tyran Wishart
7. Jackson Willis
8. Mat Sheppard
9. Cooper Purcell
10. Juvilee Samiu
11. Luke Gale
12. Tom Angel
13. Jayden Morgan

Interchange:
14. Hayden Lomax
15. Matthew Delbanco
16. Jack Gordon
17. Josh Dowel
18. Shalom O'Ofou
20. Dylan Morris

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/31/jersey-flegg-team-round-21-v-bulldogs/

getsmarty

Immortal
ISP Dragons sink Bulldogs in one-point thriller
Author
Simon Masterton NSWRL.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 4 Aug 2018, 02:39 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have clung on to take out a 15-14 victory over the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in a thrilling Intrust Super Premiership NSW match at WIN Stadium.

For the second time in season 2018, a late Darren Nicholls field goal proved the difference as the Dragons wrestled back a deficit late in the contest. Five-eighth Adam Clune - filling in for the injured Jai Field - also performed well in the victory, while centre Reuben Garrick and lock Hame Sele each had their moments in the win.

After an expansive open period, the Dragons ensured they were first on the scoreboard when young guns Reece Robson and Zac Lomax combined; the talented No.9 picked the ball up at dummy-half on the Bulldogs' 40-metre line, making a bust before sending the ball right to his centre, who finished the movement. With Darren Nicholls' conversion, the home side was up 6-0.

The Bulldogs' first real opportunity came via Jack Nelson who, after a number of tackles on the Dragons' try line, broke through under the posts. The second-rower was held up, however, in a let-off for the Dragons.

When Mitch Allgood went down with a knee complaint shortly after, it brought an extended break in play - and the 29-year-old prop would not return to the field. Upon the resumption, an infringement in the ruck from Lachlan Burr gifted their opposition a penalty in front of the posts - with Darren Nicholls successfully taking the two points.

Four more minutes passed before the Bulldogs were able to score their first points, with captain Asipeli Fine stepping in to cross the line. It came via a short ball from Josh Bergamin, before the second-rower crashed past Lomax in a try which was later converted.

The Bulldogs looked certain to have earned a quick-fire brace of tries and score immediately after, with an extended run of play which saw a fleet-footed Cleeland find Bronson Garlick and then Tom Carr in the north-eastern corner. The speedy winger, however, mistakenly stepped onto the sideline in the final moments, an error which was picked up by the sideline official.

When the visitors looked again to build pressure shortly after, they conceded a rare scrum penalty deep in the Dragons' end - but followed it up with a period of brave defence on their line. On the back of their efforts without the football, they made the most of their final opportunity with it, with Burr scoring a four-pointer to give his side the lead. With less than 90 seconds remaining in the half, the 25-year-old ran a good line from first receiver to get past Patrick Herbert and Damian Sironen, with Cleeland converting for a 12-8 half-time scoreline.

Once again, neither side was afraid to throw the ball around at the start of the second half, with multiple errors featuring in the opening exchanges. Eventually, back-to-back dangerous tackle penalties by the Dragons gave their opposition the chance to have a shot at goal, with Cleeland opening up the six-point advantage.

When the play opened up with the Dragons on the attack, a dropped ball from Steven Marsters in open space saw an opportunity squandered, before a penalty considered by Hame Sele gave the Bulldogs more healthy field position. The Dragons lock immediately made up for his mistake, however, coming up with a crunching tackle on Jayden Okunbor and wrestling back momentum.

The moment would be crucial, with some enterprising play soon drawing the home side level. Nicholls found Adam Clune, who sent a brilliant cut-out pass to Reuben Garrick - and the centre's overhead catch and spin to finish off the movement was equally impressive. When Nicholls converted from out wide, the score was 14 points apiece.

In the blue-and-whites' next period of attack, Morgan Harper claimed to have planted down a Tom Carr grubber at the end of another fine play, but was ruled to have tapped the ball forward in the process.

A Darren Nicholls field goal proved to be the difference in the Dragons' 21-20 win over the Bulldogs in Round 10 - and the St George Illawarra halfback wasted no time in adding the one point again. Calmly splitting the uprights from 15 metres out, the Dragons edged ahead with 10 minutes remaining.

The home side had the majority of possession in the final 10 minutes, with Nicholls twice going close to scoring the match-winning try. While the four-pointer wasn't to be, the Dragons held on for a thrilling 15-14 victory.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/04/isp-dragons-sink-bulldogs-in-one-point-thriller/

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Herbert again runs for over 200m ( consistently around this number) but cant get a run in 1st grade.
Interestingly he is 2nd overall for tackle breaks behind Periera.
He is equal 2nd in try assists.
4th in all runs made
3rd in total run metres
1st in kick return metres
His only negative is handling errors where he is 3rd.

Wby he cant get a go in 1st grade is beyond me. Surely he is better as a centre option than Aitken at present.

No wonder he is looking elsewhere for next year.

getsmarty

Immortal
gillardj-180706-gp-03.jpg

JERSEY FLEGG

Jersey Flegg: Round 22 v Parramatta Eels
Author
Timestamp
Tue 7 Aug 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg coach Wayne Collins has named his team to play the Parramatta Eels on Saturday, August 11 at ANZ Stadium.

The young Dragons suffered a two-point defeat to the Bulldogs at Jubilee Oval last Friday night, and are precariously positioned at eighth on the Jersey Flegg ladder.

Jersey Flegg team for Round 21 v Parramatta Eels:

1. Tristan Sailor
2. Sam McCann
3. Shaun Sauni-Esau
4. Matheson Johns
5. Jason Gillard
6. Tyran Wishart
7. Jackson Willis
8. Mat Sheppard
9. Cooper Purcell
10. Tom Angel
11. Luke Gale
12. Trent Peoples
13. Jayden Morgan

Interchange:
14. Hayden Lomax
15. Juvilee Samiu
16. Jiye Ellis
17. Josh Dowel
18. Shalom O'Ofou
19. Matthew Delbanco
20. Dylan Morris

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/07/jersey-flegg-round-22-v-parramatta-eels/

Bench
Herbert again runs for over 200m ( consistently around this number) but cant get a run in 1st grade.
Interestingly he is 2nd overall for tackle breaks behind Periera.
He is equal 2nd in try assists.
4th in all runs made
3rd in total run metres
1st in kick return metres
His only negative is handling errors where he is 3rd.

Wby he cant get a go in 1st grade is beyond me. Surely he is better as a centre option than Aitken at present.

No wonder he is looking elsewhere for next year.
Bit of a worry if Herbert is looking elsewhere next year. But I don't blame him or any others.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I just read that Sailor has been promoted to the top 30 squad. Should we be blooding Sailor this week in Widdop's position? I don't think that Mann is our answer and Field's defence isn't good enough for first grade. I know that others will say that Sailor's defence isn't good enough for first grade either.

mobels

Juniors
I just read that Sailor has been promoted to the top 30 squad. Should we be blooding Sailor this week in Widdop's position? I don't think that Mann is our answer and Field's defence isn't good enough for first grade. I know that others will say that Sailor's defence isn't good enough for first grade either.
If Fields defence isn’t good enough for first grade then just wait till you see Sailors....

He isn't even playing NSW Cup. No way he's going anywhere near first grade.
Why though?
Other teams blood 18y.o kids straight into first grade from Flegg, bypassing the cesspit that is ISP altogeather, why can’t we.

As far as I can see young promising kids just go backwards playing ISP, especially at the Dragons

mobels

Juniors
Why though?
Other teams blood 18y.o kids straight into first grade from Flegg, bypassing the cesspit that is ISP altogeather, why can’t we.

As far as I can see young promising kids just go backwards playing ISP, especially at the Dragons
He was horrendous at ISP level from what i've seen. No where near ready enough yet.

He was horrendous at ISP level from what i've seen. No where near ready enough yet.

But that’s my point though.
Flegg players 17/18y.o kids are looking to make a career out of playing league.
You throw them into ISP where they run around with a bunch of blokes that are essentially part timers, what good does it do them?

There’s a couple of 18y.o playing for Souths first grade, many other teams have 18y.o kids playing, they have essentially bypassed ISP because they have been identified as talented kids, a lot with resumes of rep games that are not nearly as impressive as our young kids.

The two advantages are you don’t let a talented kid fester in ISP and if they do fail, they are still young enough to go back and learn, with the added advantage of having a taste of first grade and now know what it’s going to take.

I think letting them waste away in what is essentially park footy is doing them a disservice.

mobels

Juniors
But that’s my point though.
Flegg players 17/18y.o kids are looking to make a career out of playing league.
You throw them into ISP where they run around with a bunch of blokes that are essentially part timers, what good does it do them?

There’s a couple of 18y.o playing for Souths first grade, many other teams have 18y.o kids playing, they have essentially bypassed ISP because they have been identified as talented kids, a lot with resumes of rep games that are not nearly as impressive as our young kids.

The two advantages are you don’t let a talented kid fester in ISP and if they do fail, they are still young enough to go back and learn, with the added advantage of having a taste of first grade and now know what it’s going to take.

I think letting them waste away in what is essentially park footy is doing them a disservice.
Putting kids in first grade or the grade above before they are any where near ready enough does a lot more harm then good. It essentially shatters there confidence, which is why people want some of our players currently in first grade to get a stint in reserve grade as it gives them a chance to increase there confidence.

In Sailors case he's absolutely no where near ready for first grade, and when played in ISP he was absolutely dominated, which is why he was dropped back down to Flegg. I'm all for giving players a chance in first grade at a young age, but not when there not even close to being ready for first grade.

He's miles behind in development compared to the likes of Lomax and Herbert who are ready for a chance in first grade.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Putting kids in first grade or the grade above before they are any where near ready enough does a lot more harm then good. It essentially shatters there confidence, which is why people want some of our players currently in first grade to get a stint in reserve grade as it gives them a chance to increase there confidence.

In Sailors case he's absolutely no where near ready for first grade, and when played in ISP he was absolutely dominated, which is why he was dropped back down to Flegg. I'm all for giving players a chance in first grade at a young age, but not when there not even close to being ready for first grade.

He's miles behind in development compared to the likes of Lomax and Herbert who are ready for a chance in first grade.
Sailor is now 20 years old. I believe that if a back is going to be really good and worth keeping, then they should be ready for first grade by the age of 20. If Sailor isn't ready now, then I don't think he ever will be. I haven't seen much of him. He did look like a good young footballer with a good all round game in his highlights video. I thought he looked like a 5/8 too.

watatank

Coach
Why though?

A lot of teams place their more promising U20s players in reserve grade as well. What does any of this have to do with Sailor? If he's good enough to bypass ISP, then he should be dominating there if he plays. The fact that he is not even playing there tells us he's nowhere near first grade.

A lot of teams place their more promising U20s players in reserve grade as well. What does any of this have to do with Sailor? If he's good enough to bypass ISP, then he should be dominating there if he plays. The fact that he is not even playing there tells us he's nowhere near first grade.
To be honest I don’t know much about Sailor.
My concerns are more about Lomax and Herbert wasting away while our first grade backline has been rubbish for over two months.

denis preston

First Grade
Geez, even putting Sailor in the mix is loony stuff. He has major defense issues mainly due to his body needing maturity.Why advocate for a player to be promoted when you have not even seen them play a full game this year ? Doesn't bring credit and if the club does read these threads would vindicate to them that we don't know what we are talking about. Now Lomax is a different issue.