What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau turns down rugby union offer ...

El Diablo

Post Whore
Thursday after Origin III - off to AFL. I feel in my pessimistic veins.

seems Beetson thinks the same http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...joey-to-back-off/story-e6freye0-1225872976213

* ORIGIN legend Arthur Beetson has launched a fresh attack on Israel Folau, accusing the Maroons winger of deceiving rugby league fans by not being up front about his future in the code. Beetson claims Folau is delaying announcing his decision to avoid being axed by the Maroons.

if he was staying then why would he not have announced it seeing he has ruled out Union?

Last edited:

Ray Mosters

Juniors
He will stay with the Broncos

As much money as they are throwing at him, the AFL was never really in the running I think. For him to go to AFL he would have to change him body shape over a couple of years, which basically makes it a one way ticket.

Nope, his best bet was and is one of the rugby codes. If either doesent pan out he can always jump ship to the other, and/or head overseas...

And if union is off the table, then my bet is he is sticking with the Broncos for the time being

Ray Mosters

Juniors
1million $'s a year, I'd be off to AFL as well!
But its not going to last is it? Unless he turns into the best player in the AFL, as soon as the concessions and signing bonus' taper off he is going to be forced to earn under the salary cap like everyone else.

At that point, he is 25 years old and back to earning 500k, except now he is slimmed right down and cant switch back to french union where he is worth 800+. Well not without a year of weights, anyway. The AFL is easy to join, but hard to leave, and a much bigger gamble too.

So 1 million a year is great for the first couple when he gets it, but the AFL aint going to bend their own salary cap rules for 10 years to keep Izzy.

Short term, AFL is the go, but over the course of a career, playing off league and union against each other will net Izzy the most.

Brutus

Referee
I've just heard on the radio that Folau is going to consult cutie before making a decision on his future.

Why talk to cutie? What possible advice could he give Izzy on AFL?? cutie hasn't done anything in fumbleball yet, he's been playing union.

scruffystorm

Juniors
The rumours down here in Melbourne at the moment are that folau has already signed for the new Sydney afl team and that it will be announced in the next week.

Latest posts