What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Vee

First Grade
So are you suggesting that backing up on a Thursday night after a Sunday game (3 days break) is no different to having a couple of extra days break (5 days) if you played on the Friday night, the previous round. I know whose on drugs, and it’s not me.
Whoosh!!!

No mate, you missed my point completely. What part of the NRL's match allocation history makes you think fair has anything to do with it?

Whoosh!!!

No mate, you missed my point completely. What part of the NRL's match allocation history makes you think fair has anything to do with it?
Just some Hypothetical possibilities on utilising the bye rounds in a 17 team competition mate. I also don’t think fair has anything to do with NRL match allocations. So if you will excuse me, I better go and get some drugs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mentioned on radio at the weekend that the Commission (they actually said Vlandys lol) are expected to review and announce expansion decision in May or June.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Weird when I post the link it changes it!

The NRL is reportedly set to begin the selection process for a 17th team, with prospective bid teams preparing to meet with Peter V'landys and Andrew Abdo over the next month.

V'landys has made it clear that NRL expansion in the heartland of rugby league was firmly on the agenda in 2021.
This has seen the likes of the Brisbane Jets, Redcliffe Dolphins and Brisbane Firehawks emerge as potential options for the second Brisbane team, with the league looking to bring them in for the 2023 season.
With speculation continuing to mount, Courier-Mail reporter Pete Badel has revealed the formal process is set to begin in April, with the commission expected to announce the successful candidate in July.

“I can tell you Peter V’landys and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo will look to fly north in the next three weeks,” Badel told NRL 360.

“They are tipped to come here by the end of the month and they want to talk to the respective bid teams which are the Brisbane Jets, the Redcliffe Dolphins and the Brisbane Firehawks with a view towards a potential tender process starting in Apri
“This is exciting news for Queensland rugby league fans. The way things are going, the numbers have to stack up, but Peter V’landys is pretty confident that we will see a fourth Queensland team in 2023.

“The team is expected to be announced in July. A second Brisbane team will be coming in sooner rather than later."
The inclusion of a second Brisbane team has already attracted interest from Storm superstar Cameron Munster, who admitted he would consider signing with a expansion team for 2023.

He has already received interest from the Jets, with their director Nick Livermore telling Sporting News they believe Munster would be an ideal inaugural captain

“Cameron Munster is certainly one too. He’s made no secret that South-East Queensland is his home," he told Sporting News.

“I think he’d be an amazing first captain, but ultimately we need to get that license first.

"We need to make sure there’s as many quality Queensland players to start with, and then players from out of state who we’d also love to have a look at.

"They'd need to be off contract and available, and we’re having those conversations right now."
https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...7xdq0zhQXrIQOz377an3ufzl1kOrP9mU7NmupOja6O6Hk

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
I wonder if it's possible for Munster to sign conditional contracts with all 3 Brisbane bids, dependent on them being accepted.. so basically he would get to play for the one bid the NRL chooses, regardless of who that is?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm liking the Brisbane Jets now that they've linked up with the Bombers. The Bombers had a good bid and Nick Livermore seems like a slick operator. The weakness was always the name. The change to Jets and link with Ipswich makes it a much stronger bid for me.

I still think Redcliffe are the favourite for the spot though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Without knowing the ins and outs of their bids I’d rate them
Jets
Firehawks
Dolphins

end of day NRL is a super conservative organisation’s and rather than go for the bid that’s best for the game they will go for the bid with the strongest financial security imo. We have to remember the $6million the nrl put aside for bailing out clubs has gone so there is no fall back for any club that gets into trouble. They won’t put any extra funding into helping start up so non football generated financial security will be the number one consideration Imo, even if that means a poorer outcome in other key areas for the game in brisbane.

ash the bash

Juniors
Have the Bombers and Jets "officially" merged yet ? Last I heard from Nick on a podcast he mentioned they were still going over the final details. I would be interested to know what the break down in ownership is for the Brisbane Jets if we are ever privy to that information. They would have to be close to releasing the new branding of the Brisbane Jets I wonder if the hold up is over the ownership structure.

I think we have 3 very good bids in their own ways.

Financially strongest - Dolphins & Brisbane Firehawks (Easts Tigers).
Best brand - Dolphins then Jets, Firehawks just does not resonate with me and I really like the Easts Tigers bid.
Juniors - Jets then Dolphins one could argue representing growth areas north of Brisbane and South West.
Admin - Think Nick is a very smart operator for Jets. Dolphins have the ex Broncos corp guy running things and Firehawks have Shane Richardson involved with them.

PVL states new club would have to financially stack up, not effect existing QLD clubs and Juniors. Keeps mentioning those three points, very interesting. Im surprised we have not had any other private bids coming in. Owning the second NRL team in Brisbane I thought would have attracted some big players.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I wonder if it's possible for Munster to sign conditional contracts with all 3 Brisbane bids, dependent on them being accepted.. so basically he would get to play for the one bid the NRL chooses, regardless of who that is?
And why the f**k would he do that?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If he desperately wants to play in Brisbane for a new team, and he determines that he could be happy with any of the bids if they're picked.

If that was the case wouldn't it be simpler for him to not sign a contract With Melbourne past the new clubs introduction season and then sign for them once we know what club that is? In reality he will use it to likely bump up his price with Melbourne and stay their for rest of his career lol.

Smug Panther

First Grade
If he desperately wants to play in Brisbane for a new team, and he determines that he could be happy with any of the bids if they're picked.
Just go with a random side with a random coach and a random squad.....yeah I'm sure a top 3 player in the game will go for that

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Have the Bombers and Jets "officially" merged yet ? Last I heard from Nick on a podcast he mentioned they were still going over the final details. I would be interested to know what the break down in ownership is for the Brisbane Jets if we are ever privy to that information. They would have to be close to releasing the new branding of the Brisbane Jets I wonder if the hold up is over the ownership structure.

I think we have 3 very good bids in their own ways.

Financially strongest - Dolphins & Brisbane Firehawks (Easts Tigers).
Best brand - Dolphins then Jets, Firehawks just does not resonate with me and I really like the Easts Tigers bid.
Juniors - Jets then Dolphins one could argue representing growth areas north of Brisbane and South West.
Admin - Think Nick is a very smart operator for Jets. Dolphins have the ex Broncos corp guy running things and Firehawks have Shane Richardson involved with them.

PVL states new club would have to financially stack up, not effect existing QLD clubs and Juniors. Keeps mentioning those three points, very interesting. Im surprised we have not had any other private bids coming in. Owning the second NRL team in Brisbane I thought would have attracted some big players.

The bombers website seems to suggest they have joined forces