What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

The Great Dane

First Grade
They own a stadium that has paying tenants (Brisbane Roar)
They own a shopping centre with Coles as an anchor tenant
They own a fitness centre
They own a successful leagues club

They are all revenue generating assets, so I think they've got the 'spare cash coming through' part covered.
All of that doesn't mean shit if they can't build significant support and/or their leagues club gets sick of throwing good money after bad and tightens the purse strings.

Tweed Heads, Cronulla, the Crushers, etc, all got into the league based on their "strong leagues clubs and financials", and look how it's turned out for them historically... Supposedly strong financial assets doesn't necessarily equal strong football clubs.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You are usually better researched PR. Everyone is aware of what titoelcolombiano said. Dolphins are miles in front of the other bids.
Don't confuse word in the media for facts.

The only reason people are talking about Redcliffe being so much better off financially and know about all their assets is because they've been crowing about them in the media while Easts have been coy.

It's well known that Easts are absolutely loaded as well, maybe not as loaded as Redcliffe, but more than loaded enough to support an NRL club long term if they wish.

But again; should the NRL be building a team that exists because it's backed by loaded people, or should they be trying to build a successful football team!?
I suggest PVL would already know who they want and may just be starting to soften up the opposition.
You better hope not, because that is a terrible way to make decisions.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We've seen the spin from the firehawks bid, all hush hush, cant show details of how to win over the brisbanites, or brisbanians... what has the other two bids have in terms of a press conference
Redcliffe haven't shown how they will win over the 'Brisbanites', just asserted that they will.

Meanwhile in science land everybody that knows anything about evolutionary psychology and tribal politics will tell you that aside from domination (which isn't applicable in these circumstances) the only way you can get disparate groups to unite is to expand the tribe through shared goals or circumstances, i.e. effectively create a new tribe that represents everyone. So far Redcliffe have refused to do that in any meaningful way, while the Firehawks have been forced to do so through necessity.

In other words the Firehawks, whether they realise it or not, have shown how they'll win people over through their actions, while Redcliffe has just talked a big game.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Redcliffe haven't shown how they will win over the 'Brisbanites', just asserted that they will.

Meanwhile in science land everybody that knows anything about evolutionary psychology and tribal politics will tell you that aside from domination (which isn't applicable in these circumstances) the only way you can get disparate groups to unite is to expand the tribe through shared goals or circumstances, i.e. effectively create a new tribe that represents everyone. So far Redcliffe have refused to do that in any meaningful way, while the Firehawks have been forced to do so through necessity.

In other words the Firehawks, whether they realise it or not, have shown how they'll win people over through their actions, while Redcliffe has just talked a big game.
Surely these organisations are employing consultancy firms to prepare detailed, 1, 3, 5 & 10 year plans around player development, fan & community engagement, financials, etc.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
All of that doesn't mean shit if they can't build significant support and/or their leagues club gets sick of throwing good money after bad and tightens the purse strings.

Tweed Heads, Cronulla, the Crushers, etc, all got into the league based on their "strong leagues clubs and financials", and look how it's turned out for them historically... Supposedly strong financial assets doesn't necessarily equal strong football clubs.

What I've stated in my posts are actuals... you're basing your opinion on ifs and maybes. There is no reason why the Brisbane Dolphins, playing out of Suncorp Stadium in the middle of Brisbane won't draw significant support from all over the city.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Define "successful football club", because I don't think a bunch of assets funded by the gambling industry and government subsidies equals a successful football club.

Is 6 Q Cup titles and 4 BRL titles good enough for you?

I don't think anybody in their right mind would argue that Redcliffe's current set up, nor their proposed NRL bid, could be sustained by their football operations alone either. Not that I'm suggesting that they have to be sustained by their football club alone, but the NRL's goal should be to build the biggest football clubs possible, not to have a bunch of clubs that only exist because they are bankrolled by operations in other industries.

The NRL will take the bids that they have and just the best one on their merits, not hang out waiting for the mythical perfect bid that may never come. As it stands now, Redcliffe have a very strong bid.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
never said it wasn’t, all Im saying is people are making big assumptions that because Dolphins have got assets they’ve got a spare $3-4mill a year to put into an nrl club. Hopefully they’ll have a full sponsorship portfolio 25k crowds and sold out corporate boxes so they can actually be self sustaining as a football club,

I'm sure the NRL will ensure that any winning bid has all of those things.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Don't confuse word in the media for facts.

The only reason people are talking about Redcliffe being so much better off financially and know about all their assets is because they've been crowing about them in the media while Easts have been coy.

It's well known that Easts are absolutely loaded as well, maybe not as loaded as Redcliffe, but more than loaded enough to support an NRL club long term if they wish.

But again; should the NRL be building a team that exists because it's backed by loaded people, or should they be trying to build a successful football team!?

So Easts are rich which to you is a positive for Easts.

But Redcliffe by your own admission are richer but that is a negative for Redcliffe...

Makes sense...

MugaB

Coach
Hang on, haven't they said they'll take some of the home games each year to Dolphin Stadium from the get-go?

That alone should sound some warning bells to the NRL.
Like 1 or 2 at sunshine coast or redcliffe, Panthers take a home game to Bathurst once a year, Roosters to Central Coast or Adelaide once a year, who cares about once a year.
Bottom line is that they'll have the option to play a low rated game in a smaller venue. I don't see an issue, if the bulk of home games are at suncorp,

MugaB

Coach
Same/Same
What the Jets were mentioning was also to down the track have another stadium out west in the future... which means they won't be at Suncorp fulltime, that to me speaks worse.. as far as dolphins are concerned, they are commited to play at suncorp, without increasing the current moreton stadiums capacity.

flippikat

Bench
Like 1 or 2 at sunshine coast or redcliffe, Panthers take a home game to Bathurst once a year, Roosters to Central Coast or Adelaide once a year, who cares about once a year.
Bottom line is that they'll have the option to play a low rated game in a smaller venue. I don't see an issue, if the bulk of home games are at suncorp,

Fair point, but if the Dolphins decide to increase the number of games at Dolphin Stadium, that would be a concern. It might be that economic factors come in to play, and they figure playing at their own venue is more affordable than Suncorp - what then?

IMO the Dolphins make more sense as a 3rd Brisbane team (if that happens), rather than a 2nd one.

mongoose

Coach
Hang on, haven't they said they'll take some of the home games each year to Dolphin Stadium from the get-go?

That alone should sound some warning bells to the NRL.

If they do it only should 1-2 games tops. I was reading some comments on an A League article on TheRoar.com and it seems a lot of QLD Roar fans are not attending games anymore due to Redcliffe being hard to get to and also that there are no bars/restaurants close by, except of course Dolphins Leagues. Hope Dolphins and NRL are wary of this...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Surely these organisations are employing consultancy firms to prepare detailed, 1, 3, 5 & 10 year plans around player development, fan & community engagement, financials, etc.
You have way more faith in the people running the game than I do lol.

Do you reckon all the failed expansion teams had detailed plans?

Do you reckon that those plans were actually worth anything once things started going pear-shaped?

The Great Dane

First Grade
What I've stated in my posts are actuals... you're basing your opinion on ifs and maybes. There is no reason why the Brisbane Dolphins, playing out of Suncorp Stadium in the middle of Brisbane won't draw significant support from all over the city.
Your whole thesis is built on a massive if!

You are making the massive assumption that the Dolphins will be a success if they can draw significant support from outside of Redcliffe, without any evidence, aside from anecdote, that they are even capable of drawing significant support from outside of Redcliffe.

That if is an enormous if compared to my 'ifs and maybes', both of which are such common occurrences I gave you a bunch of examples where it's happened, and could have given you a bunch more. It's also the same if that most failed sports teams around the world have made...

Also I'm so f**king sick of hearing the 'they're calling themselves Brisbane' horseshit. It's simplistic to the point of being absurd, and I can't believe people say it unironically.

They may as well call themselves the Australia Dolphins using that logic, that way they'd draw millions of supporters from across Australia right!

Last edited: