What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

MugaB

Coach
Curiously, what are people's thoughts on what will constitute an impactful debut for The Dolphins?

.Crowds around 20 000 at Suncorp, nothing but sellouts at Moreton Daily Stadium?
.How many social members could we assume will upgrade to Attending Members (Season tickets, 3 game ticket holders etc)?
*will be interesting to see considering how that's approached as The Dolphins will be the first "new" club to enter the NRL within this era of pushing Membership models similar to the AFL clubs.
.Immediate competitiveness on the field (not necessarily winning more than they lose)?
*As opposed to the AFL's Sun's and Giant's who used their draft and were expected to get belted for a couple seasons?

I'm happy for Redcliffe, though from afar it appeared the more geographically constrained bid. If that was of deliberate design in the NRL (and News ltd) choosing them, then it certainly does leave the southern half of Brisbane open to another team, and I fear my Perth will have to wait for another decade minimum. I don't see a 20 team league in any domestically played code viable in the medium to long term. Perth needs the 18th license else holding out hope for the slim chance of a club relocating, may just see the game wither away in WA. Perth will probably be over 3million by the time the NRL decides the 4th biggest market in the nation may just have something to offer like putting the N in NRL.
To be fair, the NRL was named so when Adelaide was still in the comp, Perth was the only city the NRL didn't a club in at that time, they had just folded they very season beforehand

Perth Red

Post Whore
20k plus members and 17k crowd avg min or it makes a mockery of all the talk for the last decade about how desperate brisbane is for a broncos alternative.

seems the pattern has been big crowds years 1-3 but then the challenge of sustaining that initial interest.

MugaB

Coach
20k plus members and 17k crowd avg min or it makes a mockery of all the talk for the last decade about how desperate brisbane is for a broncos alternative.

seems the pattern has been big crowds years 1-3 but then the challenge of sustaining that initial interest.
I think it all depends on field success, at a consistent level.... which is not something the NRL intends to fudge for anyone...
Sink or swim..
Where the AFL has the draft and concessions to prop up its losers

mongoose

Coach

Crowds and Memberships were never what drove this expansion decision.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Curiously, what are people's thoughts on what will constitute an impactful debut for The Dolphins?

.Crowds around 20 000 at Suncorp, nothing but sellouts at Moreton Daily Stadium?
.How many social members could we assume will upgrade to Attending Members (Season tickets, 3 game ticket holders etc)?
*will be interesting to see considering how that's approached as The Dolphins will be the first "new" club to enter the NRL within this era of pushing Membership models similar to the AFL clubs.
.Immediate competitiveness on the field (not necessarily winning more than they lose)?
*As opposed to the AFL's Sun's and Giant's who used their draft and were expected to get belted for a couple seasons?

I'm happy for Redcliffe, though from afar it appeared the more geographically constrained bid. If that was of deliberate design in the NRL (and News ltd) choosing them, then it certainly does leave the southern half of Brisbane open to another team, and I fear my Perth will have to wait for another decade minimum. I don't see a 20 team league in any domestically played code viable in the medium to long term. Perth needs the 18th license else holding out hope for the slim chance of a club relocating, may just see the game wither away in WA. Perth will probably be over 3million by the time the NRL decides the 4th biggest market in the nation may just have something to offer like putting the N in NRL.
I guess we'll see over time, but considering they are playing at Suncorp, I really don't see why RL and sports fans in general that are looking for a team to support won't get on board. Suncorp is centrally located and accessible by anyone. In terms of crowds, they will easily be in and amongst the top 4 in terms of average crowds. The reason I say this is because of the following:

- game v Broncos will draw between 40 and 52k
- game v Cowboys will draw between 35 and 40k
- game v Titans will draw between 25 and 30k
- game v Storm will draw between 25 and 30k

They'd only need to average between 18 - 20k for the rest of their 8 games to hold an average of 25k for the season. If the NRL are smart, their first ever NRL game will be at Suncorp and won't be against one of the above 4 which will give them another 50k crowd

Perth Red

Post Whore
They should pay more then if they want the premium content. Fox pays more, so they get the games they want
More to do with any under the desk agreement that broncos won’t be available to be in the same amount of those prime spots that fta pays for. Now If THE Dolphins are as popualr on fta as broncos it won’t matter at all to fta, they’ll stick them on a thursday or Friday night, if they aren’t then fta loses out and news ltd is the benefactor.

ps in the last tv deal fta paid a lot more per game.
$46.2mill a game fta compared to fox $24.5million a game

Last edited:

blaza88z

Coach
There aren't going to be 20-30k people sweating on a new Brisbane team, I think you'll find the majority of people who want a 2nd Brisbane team the most don't actually live in Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is there much hype in brisbane about the new team announcement? Even the crushers managed to avg 21k in their first year and brisbane was much smaller 25 years ago.

blaza88z

Coach
Is there much hype in brisbane about the new team announcement? Even the crushers managed to avg 21k in their first year and brisbane was much smaller 25 years ago.

I haven't met anyone, I'm not a Redcliffe local though.

I feel like it would be a much bigger talking point if we (Brisbane) had more than 2 players uncontracted for 2023. So far all the recruitment talk is about blokes from interstate teams, doesn't do much for the supposed rivalry does it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I haven't met anyone, I'm not a Redcliffe local though.

I feel like it would be a much bigger talking point if we (Brisbane) had more than 2 players uncontracted for 2023. So far all the recruitment talk is about blokes from interstate teams, doesn't do much for the supposed rivalry does it?
Hopefully Bennett will bring that!

Tigers1986

Juniors
Perth or Christchurch will be the 18th team. Logic to me suggests it'll be Christchurch, to bring in the NZ derby. Which then leaves Perth & Adelaide open for a relocation of a team. Who that ends up being, well, time will tell.

Latest posts