What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's a Hughes relief as Maitua joins Sharks

BY MICHAEL CARAYANNIS
8/01/2009 11:39:00 AM
COREY Hughes is in a position to judge any possible risk of signing Reni Maitua.

After all, the duo spent five years at the Bulldogs as teammates including a premiership win in 2004.

Maitua was sacked from Canterbury for missing a pre-season training session last month.

``He was a little bit nervous about what was going to be happening [with his future],'' Hughes said.

``I am certainly looking forward to having another season with him.''

The Sharks were in a four-way battle to sign the one-Test player. North Queensland, Melbourne and his junior club South Sydney chased Maitua but the 26-year-old agreed to a one-year deal with the Sutherland Shire-based club.

``I think he was the same as me,'' Hughes said. ``He just needed a change of atmosphere. It is not a secret that he tried to get a release mid-year and the Bulldogs squashed it. With a change of coach he can have a really good season, hopefully.''

Hughes kept in contact with Maitua while the backrower was looking for a club and he had no hesitation in recommending the Sharks.

``I had a few chats to him when he was without a club,'' Hughes said. ``We just had a few chats about footy and what he was thinking. I'm pretty happy with the decision he made.''

Led by captain Paul Gallen, new recruits Maitua and Anthony Tupou, the Sharks will have one of the most dynamic backrows in the game.

With the impending departure of Greg Bird, Maitua will fill the ball-playing position in the Sharks forward pack.

``Tupou and Gallen can bust the line,'' Hughes said.

``Reni is one of those guys who can put someone threw a gap or bust the line.
``He'll give an extra dimension to the backrow.''

http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/ne...es-relief-as-maitua-joins-sharks/1402539.aspx

I though the other was a one-off, but this guy writes the worst headlines ever.

Vossy

Bench
:lol: :lol: worst.........headline......ever

good story though

i will reserve my judgement on us signing maitua till the end of the year

will be interesting when we play the dogs

RUBIKS

Juniors

BY MICHAEL CARAYANNIS
8/01/2009 11:39:00 AM
``Tupou and Gallen can bust the line,'' Hughes said.

``Reni is one of those guys who can put someone threw a gap or bust the line.
``He'll give an extra dimension to the backrow.''

???

DingoDave

Juniors
[I though the other was a one-off, but this guy writes the worst headlines ever.[/quote]

Don't think the journos write headlines

Them's fightin words!

Bring your Louis Vitton weapon of choice to the Swallow Rock boat ramp and I shalt tear thoust a new one.