What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its been a tough year, but

PARRA_FAN

Coach
..I thought Id cheer everyone up here to relive the greatest night in Rugby League history.

12 months ago, on September 25th 2009, we played the Bulldogs at ANZ in front of the biggest crowd for a Preliminary Final.

The build was excellent, to some it didnt matter if we were beaten casue we had a good run, but the feeling of getting into a GF 10 weeks after we thought

What a night. 74,000 people against a top Canterbury side, our old enemy, arch rivals. We played out of our skins. Ive never seen us play like for a long time.

It was a slow start for us, when Goodwin scored and Hayne was placed on report for an accidentital knee. With the Bulldogs up, we still had plenty of possession. After Morris' try I thought we might be in trouble, but some Hayne magic got us back in the game setting up a try to Galuvao. It helped us so much. I was confident we can go better in the second half.

Then Burt scored just after the break, I was quietly confident.

Then some brilliant attack got us into the lead after this try to Tim Mannah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_vKmtsdUUc

16-12 up, I thought how good is this.

Robson had been playing the best he's ever played. Mortimer was getting better as the game and Kingston was playing so well.

The Bulldogs kept attacking and attacking. Nothing was going their way.

But when Ennis threw a dummy and found some space, he was through no one to beat, only to be pulled down by who else, Nathan Hindmarsh. What a legend.

Something had to give, the Bulldogs tried a little grubber kick but landed in the hands on Lowrie who made a break and passed it to Robson.

This lead to a great try to Mortimer. And Ive never celebrated so much knowing we were only moments away from a Grand Final berth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDNpPC1MR_I

With just a few minutes left, the whole crowd of Parramatta supporters starting cheering. "We are there".

This erased bad memories of 1998. We had done it from 8th spot and only one more win and we're premiers. I said "Oh my God I cant believe we're in the Grand Final the biggest day of the year".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJzdIyYla8k&feature=related

I know we did it in 2001, but we expected to get there. This game we were underdogs and we won on the greatest night.

Seeing Moi Moi and Ben Smith celebrate and Hindmarsh quietly confident, jobs not done yet made me smile a lot.

The week leading to the Grand Final was the happiest for us all Parramatta supporters. And although we didnt win we did so well in the match and it was great that all of us were there and Sydney got behind us as well.

Now knowing we were beaten by cheaters makes us more filthy.

But September 25 2009 was the greatest night in Rugby League history. A night I'll never forget.

RockWheel

Bench
Spent five hours in a car to get to this. Brought two mates along; one to his first game. Awesome night.

boxhead

First Grade
..I thought Id cheer everyone up here to relive the greatest night in Rugby League history.

12 months ago, on September 25th 2009, we played the Bulldogs at ANZ in front of the biggest crowd for a Preliminary Final.

The build was excellent, to some it didnt matter if we were beaten casue we had a good run, but the feeling of getting into a GF 10 weeks after we thought

What a night. 74,000 people against a top Canterbury side, our old enemy, arch rivals. We played out of our skins. Ive never seen us play like for a long time.

It was a slow start for us, when Goodwin scored and Hayne was placed on report for an accidentital knee. With the Bulldogs up, we still had plenty of possession. After Morris' try I thought we might be in trouble, but some Hayne magic got us back in the game setting up a try to Galuvao. It helped us so much. I was confident we can go better in the second half.

Then Burt scored just after the break, I was quietly confident.

Then some brilliant attack got us into the lead after this try to Tim Mannah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_vKmtsdUUc

16-12 up, I thought how good is this.

Robson had been playing the best he's ever played. Mortimer was getting better as the game and Kingston was playing so well.

The Bulldogs kept attacking and attacking. Nothing was going their way.

But when Ennis threw a dummy and found some space, he was through no one to beat, only to be pulled down by who else, Nathan Hindmarsh. What a legend.

Something had to give, the Bulldogs tried a little grubber kick but landed in the hands on Lowrie who made a break and passed it to Robson.

This lead to a great try to Mortimer. And Ive never celebrated so much knowing we were only moments away from a Grand Final berth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDNpPC1MR_I

With just a few minutes left, the whole crowd of Parramatta supporters starting cheering. "We are there".

This erased bad memories of 1998. We had done it from 8th spot and only one more win and we're premiers. I said "Oh my God I cant believe we're in the Grand Final the biggest day of the year".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJzdIyYla8k&feature=related

I know we did it in 2001, but we expected to get there. This game we were underdogs and we won on the greatest night.

Seeing Moi Moi and Ben Smith celebrate and Hindmarsh quietly confident, jobs not done yet made me smile a lot.

The week leading to the Grand Final was the happiest for us all Parramatta supporters. And although we didnt win we did so well in the match and it was great that all of us were there and Sydney got behind us as well.

Now knowing we were beaten by cheaters makes us more filthy.

But September 25 2009 was the greatest night in Rugby League history. A night I'll never forget.

What a great post mate, I whole-heartedly agree with you.....watching those videos brings back some amazing nostalgia.....it's amazing watching Fui's amazing runs, the great offloading and supporting of our boys, Daley going on about how great Moi Moi and the forwards have been, Wazza saying Mortimer was the best player through the finals series.....amazing stuff, watching Robson and Burt playing out of their skins.....unbelievable.

btaag

Juniors
Only a Grand Final win will erase the memories of 1998, though in hindsight, the 2009 Prelim was our Grand Final - we had defeated the No1 and No2 sides in the Finals, and should never have played the Salary Cap Cheats (or should have been given $1.3 million of extra talent to supplement our squad before the GF).

Let us hope we can see a game like that in the future, only as our GF!!! :)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I still watch my recording of this match, love hearing what the commentators say.

Rabs "Burt, back on the inside, Robson supports, Mortimer supports, Mortimer's heading for the line, Mortimer scores for Parramatta!"

And then Gus at the end of the game "St George Dragons, consistent all year, gone. Gold Coast Titans, consistent all year, gone. Canterbury Bulldogs, consistent all year, gone. And yet this Parramatta surge through August and September..."

I was at the game and I cried as we cheered the last 40 seconds of that match.

And its this feeling, the feeling of being so close to having what we have wanted for 24 years, knowing that we were robbed by that cheating scum of a club the Melbourne Storm, its for them cheating us out of that feeling that we deserved. That club deserves our hate and we can never forgive them for it.

jono

Juniors
The greatest night in Rugby League history?
September 27 1981 - "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead!" and Cumberland burns to the ground. But I do agree , that game last year was right up there , especially watching the northern end of ANZ emptying with 10 minutes to go.
I've said it before , I hope you younger folk get the opportunity SOON to experience the absolute joy that a premiership win brings , it is just SO uplifting !

Parramatta_Eels

Juniors
Ahhhh memories <3 Ill never forget the 2009 Year
Thanks Anderson 4 everything:D:D:D:D

Worst part about that night was Ticketek put me in the BULLDOG bay!!! I have never been so scared! dont know how this happen when i have season tickets for parra lol

Gazzamatta

Coach
September 27 1981 - "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead!" and Cumberland burns to the ground. But I do agree , that game last year was right up there , especially watching the northern end of ANZ emptying with 10 minutes to go.
I've said it before , I hope you younger folk get the opportunity SOON to experience the absolute joy that a premiership win brings , it is just SO uplifting !

I cried like a baby and was drunk 30 minutes after full time. A great memory for sure. Still have my bottle of 1981 Port.
30 years anniversary next year. Lets celebrate this great event by doing it all again in 2011 for old times sake eh?

jono

Juniors
I cried like a baby and was drunk 30 minutes after full time. A great memory for sure. Still have my bottle of 1981 Port.
30 years anniversary next year. Lets celebrate this great event by doing it all again in 2011 for old times sake eh?

Hell yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let's get this preliminary pretend 2010 premiership out of the way and start the REAL ONE , Parramatta Eels , Premiers 2011!

CrazyEel

Bench
That was the greatest BBQ I ever attended, I was drunk for a week :lol:

Snoochies

First Grade
Lots of man hugs that night. :|

Confidence is an amazing thing and after that night we all had the right to be very optimistic about this season. Back then signing Morts and Robson was a given without question and I'm pretty sure every fan believed we would go one further this year knowing that our squad would also be boosted by some new signings.

Thanks for the post, happy days!

eel01s

Bench
And its this feeling, the feeling of being so close to having what we have wanted for 24 years, knowing that we were robbed by that cheating scum of a club the Melbourne Storm, its for them cheating us out of that feeling that we deserved. That club deserves our hate and we can never forgive them for it.

I agree with this of course, but the 1st half against the Storm was such a disappointment. How could we play so well against the Dogs (and all the teams leading up to the big one over the last 10 weeks) and then put in such a timid performance in the GF???

If the Eels had been switched on for the whole match, not just the last 20 minutes, we would still be celebrating today!

Oscarman

Juniors
I actually watched the game instead of the AFL Grand Final last Saturday. I'll probably watch the final v St Choke tomorrow.

Happy days!!!:D They'll be back.:pray:

sarahk

Juniors
Ahhhh memories <3 Ill never forget the 2009 Year
Thanks Anderson 4 everything:D:D:D:D

Worst part about that night was Ticketek put me in the BULLDOG bay!!! I have never been so scared! dont know how this happen when i have season tickets for parra lol

I was in the Bulldogs bay too. Actually made it more fun giving it to them :)

cv8z

Juniors
Tigers vs dragons got 71,000? Effectively 4 teams couldn't beat our crowd attendance for that game

Joely01

Bench
I didnt get to go to this game but did get to watch it on tv, and i dont think ive jumped so high in my life. What a feeling at fulltime and to see the sea of blue and gold at the game was an amazing site. A game ill remember forever.

Djay

Juniors
One of the greatest nights of my life no joke.

Everytime we scored I have never cheered or been so happy ever at a Eels game.

Watching Fui barnstorm and then offload to Burt who gave it to Robson who then offloaded it to Morts to bury them was the best feeling. After that the joy and the all us Eels fans were so happy to beat our arch enemies.

Great post, something that brings joy for once haha.