What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its great to be a Raiders fan(for this week)

L

legend

I am very confused by what I saw today. I saw a side that was running third last do a number on the current premiers, who, although badly out of form were entitled to dish out a flogging to the Raiders and yet we saw the reverse eventuate. I am still in a state of shock.

Canberra played as a team for a change and did not leave everything to Brett Finch. Some of the other players stood up for a change and were counted. Mark McLinden made a great return from a broken jaw by playing all over Chris Walker in every facet of the game and provided some much needed spark in attack when he came onto the field. The team looked as though they had confidence and believed in their own ability to win the game and played the best football I have seen from them all year and gave coach Matt Elliott something to work with and look forward to next year. A lot of worj still needs to be done but I fail to understand how the team cannot play like they did today on a consisten basis. a couple of decent signings and Canberra could be the surprise packet of season 2002.

p.s Please, nobody bring up any negatives. It has been a long year and I just want a little time to revel in the unfamiliar feeling of victory(away from home too).

E

Edwahu

I am over the moon as well. Its re-ignited my belief in the squad weve got and I can see a good, if not world beating,year coming up.

I thought the big difference today was that our forwards really aimed up. Wiki played a blinder and Ohara, Martin and Tongue played all over the Broncos young forwards. Troy Thompson also went well on debut and Davico and Rutgertson lead the way brilliantly.

You could tell that the backs appreciated the work the forwards were doing because our Wingers started to get involved for the first time all year. Macca, Manuel and Jensen managed 35 hit ups between them which is about triple what our wingers had been making in previous weeks. The three of them outplayed Tquiri and Sailor, which is a pretty amazing effort. Jensen really impressed me and with Robertson sure to improve the wing situationwont be so bad next year.

Also, we actually got a bit of depth in attack and showed some creativity close to the line. Most of our tries were from close range, which makes a real change from the trend this year. That was thanks to Cappy, Schif and Finch who all kept up there good form from throughout the year.
Also, how good is Schifs kicking?. He must be one of the best goal kickers the game has seen.

It was a really big game for the club. Even though ithe Broncos were shocking, the way our side played and the tactics they employed were a big step in the right direction.

K

KFC

Congatulations Raiders fans. You have some outstanding talent and I'm sure that Elliott when given his head will turn out an A1 football team.

Dog

Juniors
Don't get your hopes up guys - you were only playing Brisbane...

LOL just kidding, from what I hear it was a great performance and congratulations. The raiders should be close to Grand Finalists next year and I hope it's the Anasta-captained Bulldogs that they meet.

Good work Raiders.

Not to take anything away from the Raiders' great effort but it certainly helps when you have Chris Walker in the opposition team. He was found out in defence yet again and Canberra scored about 3 tries down his side of the field.

D

dubby

Sorry LEGEND, one bad point: my lounge room is covered in dents from me doing cartwheels and somersaults all over the place!! Brisbane were entitled to win, but GO YOU RAIDERS!!!
I am so happy i could cry. Bring on 2002, its good to see a win like today, in brisbane too!!

Ickis

Juniors
legend,

I couldn't believe how well we played! Well, actually, I could - I've seen pretty much the same team do it before (Roosters, Bulldogs, Parramatta in the first half of the season).

Chris Walker is a hack. The fact that he is still in first grade just goes to prove that Bennett would rather be stubborn than getting on with things.

Even Wolfgramm had a good game! McLinden showed the form that got him into the Country Origin team, and if he can keep it up then it'll only be a matter of time before he's selected for NSW Although I think we'll be missing Cappy next season, I am actually looking forward to the combination of Finch and McLinden behind a forward pack that goes forward.

L

legend

McLinden was electric as soon as he came on the field. He gives the side an extra dimension in attack and that was sorely missed in the latter stages of the season. Just a couple of outside backs and we will be contenders. We need depth to cover injuries.

imported_Teri

Juniors
I could not believe how fantastic they played, it was a real team effort. Every single Raider played like a champion, this was a preview of thegreat football we'll see them play in 2001! A great effort to the boys and obviously a reflection of the quality coaching from Matt Elliot.

imported_Kaon

Juniors
Teri: "This is a preview of the great football we'll see in 2001" I was thinking the same thing after the Penrith semi last year.

imported_Teri

Juniors
Thats' pretty synical r9902204. The Raiders are just like Parramatta were a little while ago, a whole bunch of youngens thrown together. Give them some time to learn to play like a team and they'll be unstoppable! Just like the Eels today.

L

legend

Teri, I admire your optimism but I think it will take some time and a few more quality players before Canberra will be anywhere near the Eels of 2001. The side has potential but we need depth as well. Brian Smith has every position covered three times over and Canberra can barely cover one position at times. While last weeks game showed some positive signs, the season overall has been nothing short of a disaster. The players(not all) lack the correct mental attitude to be serious contenders. When you consider we beat Parra, Brisbane, Canterbury, Warriors, St George and the Roosters this year and failed to beat Wests Tigers, Penrith and the Northern Eagles, you can see the players suffer badly from complacency and for that I blame Mal. I am willing to give Elliott a go but he has a very tough job ahead of him.

imported_Kaon

Juniors
Sorry, i dont think i made my point properly.

I was refering to the fact that you mentioned 2001 and not 2002. It was just a typo and the pun went wide of the mark.

I really do think we will be good things in 2002, Matt Elliott is adopting a similar game pan he had a Bradford (forward power) and our halves and backs have plenty of points in them.

Dr@gons Man

Juniors
McFadden. To bad hes gone. Hes your best player in my opinion. How could he go from playing first division to the NRLs best halfback in round 25. Makes no sence!!!! Hope you get O'Meley though. And on a (sort of ) Brighter note if the tigers lose and u guys win you will end up in 11 position~!

L

legend

Hooray. Canberra finally decided to play for eighty minutes and surprise, surprise, they beat the Sharks 36-10 to record their biggest win of the year and move out of last place and slowly up the ladder.

Canberras defence looked a lot better tonight and they played with composure. Woolford was not missed and Michael Monaghan played very well. The young blokeslooked like they had missed an assignment and the teacher didnt front up on the due date. They did their own thing without having to worry about Woolfords tyrannical captaincy and childish antics. They played their own game and the team looked much better for it. Finch played his best game of the year and looked very relaxed after the game while the forwards were very dominant in defence with Terry Martin improving in leaps and bounds each week. He is getting some mongrel into his game which is badly needed agaisnt the tougher sides.

I hope Elliott can help the team build on this victory and not go back to his questionable selection tactics. Well done boys. Enjoy the win.

E

Edwahu

It was a great game and the atmosphere was awesome at the ground. You could tell it was just the diehards and they appreciated the effort the players put in.

Monoghan has got to play at least 60 minutes at hooker every week and Woolford shouldnt just come straight back in. Jensen is definitley our long term center, pairedwith Evans. I expected his attack to be great but his defence was awesome too.

Schif was his typical awesome self and Toots was the kind of captain we need.
Even our favourites Lolesi, Tongue and especially Mapp went well.

Definitley a much needed boost for us diehards and something to build on. There was some bad news unfortunately, Luke Davico is gone for the season.
emcry.gif

First division was also awesome with a last secondvictory that reallygot the crowd hyped for the main game.

L

legend

Ed, when is Rutgerson due back on deck? He is an ample replacement for Davico and Michael Monaghan showed touches of class that will make him a great player. I'm not getting carried away with the win but the abscence of Woolford seemed to help the team more than anything else as they were playing carefree footbal and Woolford is the type of player that makes the other players feel uncomfortable when they make a mistake. His job as captain should go. Toots did a great job and as we start to get a few experienced players back we should be able to win a few more. We do need to look at signing a quality prop in the off season though to bolster the ranks.

O

ozbash

Cocaine, ecstasy, binge drinking, brawling, flashing, anal probing and allegations of sexual misconduct have all tarnished the image of rugby league in recent years. But never ball tampering. And that is one scandal the NRL was able to avoid today when the Sharks laughed off sensational allegations they were the victims of ball tampering in their 34-10 loss to Canberra last Saturday night. Sharks general manager Steve Rogers said he was aware of claims of Canberra fullback Clinton Schifcofske used a water bottle to shower the ball before kicking off, making it slippery and difficult for the opposition to catch. But his club will not be making an issue of it. "Somebody sent me an e-mail about that, about tipping water over the ball or something and I'm not the slightest bit interested in it," Rogers said. "We won't be taking it up. If players at first grade level aren't capable of catching a wet ball, they shouldn't be there." Canberra coach Matthew Elliott thought the allegation was some sort of joke. "Was it written by a cricket supporter?" he said. "It wasn't an orchestrated thing. I don't know what that person was looking at." Asked if he was happy for the NRL to investigate the incident, Elliott replied: "Yes". The league will not have to investigate unless the ground manager at Canberra Stadium alerts the NRL to anything possibly perceived as untoward. When quizzed about ball tampering, NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said he had never heard of anything like it in all his time associated with rugby league. "I mean, what is wetting the ball - is it dipped into a bucket of water or ... it's a bit like what if it starts raining midway through a game, what if there's a puddle lying on the ground ...," he said. "I'm not aware of any incident that took place in that game. "If something's brought to our attention and there's an official complaint about anything that may be considered untoward we would look at it. "But at this stage we have not looked at anything." Elliott also dismissed talk of a possible rift between Schifcofske and halfback Brett Finch after the former claimed he threw the ball at Finch and not referee Tony Archer on Saturday night. The ball hit Archer in the leg and Schifcofske was subsequently suspended for one match for grade three contrary conduct. "He pleaded guilty to it and, in all honestly as far as I'm concerned, the issue is finished," said Elliott while admitting he had not spoken to the two players. "There's no problem between Brett and Clinton. It's ridiculous to think there is a problem." The Raiders considered the appointment today of former premiership-winning captain Dean Lance as the club's development and recruitment manager to be a more important topic.