What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its make or break for Vaealiki

Avenger

Immortal
I am happy about our side this year and I truly believe we can win it if we keep our heads together. However I believe that Vaealiki is a weak link in our side. He has not shown any type of consistent form for about 2 years now. For mine he is too slow for the centres and gets caught out in defence when he continually leaves the defensive line in a rush. I would be happy to see Ashley Graham or Pai get a run with Lyon and experiment Vaealiki in the 2nd row. Vaealiki so much reminds me of McCkracken when he also became too slow for the centres but had the size and strength to play in the forwards and ultimately became a success. Any thoughts people??

:?:

Yeah thats spot on mate, Vaeleki is tooooo slow for the 3/4 posy, he needs to make a move to the 2nd row or lock posy. We need speedsters in the 3/4 line.

Does anyone know of any good 3/4 coming through the ranks?

The Colonel

Immortal
Who played outside him last year? And who happened to be our equal leading tryscorer for the season. Its the defense that Freshie attracts that warrants his selection in the centres. Sure he hasn't scored a heap of tries however he sure as hell set up a few for Petersen. Whoever plays outside him in the 2004 season will value the space he manages to create.

half

Coach
i'm pretty sure if parra plays well, vaealiki will too. he may not be the fastest, but he uses his strength well to get past opponents

he needs more support from our halves

spot on Colonel. Last year Lex was more of a feeder for Muzza than he has been for his wingers in the past. Run in, use those big shoulders to bump off, force the winger in to get him and feed Muzza.

Having said that, I actually think he would be an excellent second rower, if he could stand it in the middle of the field constantly.

bartman

Immortal
He's doing ok. He's doing his job fine, just not looking as flashy himself as he used to. There is noone that would go better this year in his spot imo, unless we are forced to make a change through injury.

PB

Bench
I agree Hj and think he would be an excellent backrower, or even a tall lock with his speed, strength and off load ability. i thought he might have got a run there last year, but i guess we were light on for backs also.

But we seem to have plenty of forwards on the books this year, so we may have to wait a little longer to see that experiment.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Backrower, maybe. I thnik sometimes excellent centres are wasted in the forwards doing routine jobs, when their speed (read Vella and Dane Carlaw) could be a revelation wider.

As HJ said, Vaialiki's given Sideshow a lot to work with. Don't also forget he's a seasoned international, and did a wonderful job in a badly beaten Kiwi sie (with injury) last June.For the record, I think Killer would go well in the forwards. It's just that he\s better in the backs.

Besides, didnt we just buy a billion forwards? or are we trying to dominate scrums by having the entire team in them?

Stagger eel

Staff member
As a backrower "fresh" would probably be better playing off the bench and come on in certain stages of the match. I still believe he is suspect in defence and seems to lose the plot when the heat gets hot and his exposed just like Newcastle and the roosters did a few years back.

Having said that He is still 23 and still have the potential to become one of the most destructive centres in the comp.

I say keep him there

Hurriflatch

Referee
I can see it now Misty :D

1. Lee Hopkins
2. Michael Vella
3. Chris Armit
4. Nathan Hindmarsh
5. Corey Pearson
6. Daniel Wagon
7. Fui Fui Moi Moi
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Mal Kaufusi
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Chris Muckert
12. Dean Widders
13. Justin Tsoulos

14. Shane Muspratt
15. Adam Peek
16. Nathan McMillan
17. Craig Stapleton

:D :D

Hurriflatch

Referee
Back in 1999-2000 (I'm guessing that is when you mean by a few years back) Vaealiki had shocking defence but it has improved a lot since then and is now one of the Eels better defensive players now no player is in position 100% of the time but most of the time Lex is where he needs to be.

Everyone talks about Richards outpacing Lyon to score. Earlier in the match Vaealiki got an ankle tap of Richards tp stop him scoring, sure the Tigers scored two plays later, but Vaealiki's desparation to try and stop Richards was very good too see

The Colonel

Immortal
Hurriflatch said:
I can see it now Misty :D

1. Lee Hopkins
2. Michael Vella
3. Chris Armit
4. Nathan Hindmarsh
5. Corey Pearson
6. Daniel Wagon
7. Fui Fui Moi Moi
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Mal Kaufusi
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Chris Muckert
12. Dean Widders
13. Justin Tsoulos

14. Shane Muspratt
15. Adam Peek
16. Nathan McMillan
17. Craig Stapleton

:D :D

The scary thing is that side would scare the shite out of a lot of the top four sides! :lol:

Paranoid

Juniors
He's attack hasn't been the same since stopped wearing those green boots :!:
:idea: Bring back the green boots I say. :mrgreen:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Vella to the centres I say!!!!

Vaealiki to play fullback maybe. I still say Luke Burt would be the best halfback Parramatta would have seen since P. Sterling.

eelandia

Juniors
I noticed last year he'd get a rating of 6 / 10 by RLw even though he had some of the highest hitup rates in the team. Seemed like he was trying his hardest to get involved in a team that wasn't using their backline as well as they could've...

eelandia

Juniors
DvdHntr said:

Vaealiki to play fullback maybe. I still say Luke Burt would be the best halfback Parramatta would have seen since P. Sterling.

What about 5/8 - i reckon he has the pace, D, kicking and passing..??

eelandia

Juniors
eelandia said:
DvdHntr said:

What about 5/8 - i reckon he has the pace, D, kicking and passing..??

Luke Burt, that is...

half

Coach
right now it would seem we have 2 safer options in dykes and thorman, but this isn't the first time i've heard the suggestion luke burt should become a 5/8th. he has the skills fo sho, but does he have the mind?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Yes for sure he has it. I really believe that Parramatta is severely lacking in recent playing experience at the club. Sure they have Taylor who could instruct Burt on the finer details but I think they need more.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
This would be a good team to try in a trial. Or if we had a mid week comp like we should in the country with lower sides and promotional sides:

1. David Vaealiki
2. Eric Grothe
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Michael Vella
5. Matt Peterson
6. Michael Witt
7. Luke Burt

8. Nathan Cayless
9. John Morris
10. Aaron Cannings
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Lee Hopkins