What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Official - Tahu returns!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/tahu-comes-home-to-parramatta/story-e6frexni-1225759114436

Tahu comes home to Parramatta

* By Josh Massoud
* August 08, 2009 12:01AM

AT 2:42pm yesterday, prodigal Eel Timana Tahu returned to Parramatta and declared himself a better player than the one who walked out on a cross-code crusade at the end of 2007.

Two years in rugby delivered mixed results for Tahu, who finished up out of favour at the Wallabies and playing club football before a handful of diehards on Saturday afternoons. But in his first interview back in blue and gold, the 28-year-old refused to be critical of the ARU.

Although upset at his limited chances at the top-level, Tahu credited the 15-man code for returning him in career-best shape.

"As far as rugby goes, probably my skill level has picked up,'' Tahu said before officially signing his new three-year deal. "I've learned to pass the ball both ways, to kick, and have played a lot more different positions. That's expanded my game. I feel I've come back a better player.''

That's a bold statement given Tahu's memorable NRL swan song - a starring hand in Parramatta's 26-10 loss to Melbourne in the second 2007 preliminary final. A result that has left Tahu pondering unfinished business ever since.

"I was filthy about that game, because I didn't know if I'd get another chance,'' he said. "I wanted to go out on a good note. We could have gone a step further and made the grand final.''

But for 11th-hour interest from close friend and new Parramatta CEO Paul Osborne, Tahu would most likely have finished his career in Japanese rugby. He said the lure of reuniting with teammates and officials at Parramatta "made sense''.

"I've been watching Parramatta for the last two years - they are the only team I've really watched because I made a lot of friends here and kept in touch,'' Tahu said. "`I didn't even watch the State of Origin this year, but I have kept an eye on the Eels.

"Nothing has really changed except the coach (Michael Hagan) - and that made it easier for me. For me coming to Parramatta was not like coming to a new club, it was like coming home.''

The Maori-Aboriginal speedster also revealed his initial motivation to play rugby was inspired by a conversation with his father shortly before Tom Tahu died in 2004. "We talked about me becoming a dual international with the All Blacks,'' he said.

"That wasn't possible, but I did manage to do the next best thing and represent the Wallabies. People might say my time in rugby wasn't that successful, but I feel it was. I'm a dual international and no one can take that away from me.''

It's well known Tahu has taken a sizeable pay-cut from his $400,000 ARU salary to return, but he said money ran second to playing "competitive, high-level football''.

"I wanted to play competitive football and play it at the highest level regularly. That wasn't really an option at (Sydney club rugby team) West Harbour. I don't want to be an old duck running on to the field for a pay cheque each week. A lot of players look for that last big payday but I want to finish at the best possible level and that's why I've come back to Parramatta.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25898448-5012431,00.html

Jarryd Hayne to profit from Timana Tahu switch

Brent Read | August 08, 2009
Article from: The Australian

JARRYD Hayne is in career-best form but Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson believes the addition of Timana Tahu could make the Eels fullback a more potent proposition for opposition defences next season.

Tahu's return to the NRL was officially confirmed yesterday when he walked into Parramatta Stadium and signed a three-year deal with the Eels.

It was also Anderson's first chance to speak to Tahu and he walked away confident the dual international was ready to make a mark on his return to the game.

"He's a lovely, lovely bloke," Anderson said.

"He still has a very serious physical appearance -- he's a big unit."

Asked what sort of impact he could have, Anderson said: "Huge, he's a tryscorer. You know he really is a player who can create things for other people and he can finish off other things people create.

"He's a physical player so he will bring plenty to the attacking side. I know he can hold his own defensively."

Tahu's return to the Eels is certain to create more opportunities for Hayne. The NSW winger has been arguably the form player in the NRL this year and a major reason behind the club's late-season surge for the finals, which will continue against Newcastle at Parramatta Stadium tomorrow.

Next season, with Tahu threatening opposition defences, Hayne could have even more room to move.

"If they take their eyes off Jarryd he can punish people himself," Anderson said.

"If they concentrate on Jarryd, players like Timana can take advantage of the space that's created. I think it certainly can enhance Jarryd's game as well."

Tahu, who was officially granted a release by the Australian Rugby Union late last week, has already stated his desire to reclaim his NSW and Australia jerseys. His decision to turn his back on rugby union after two years was instigated by Eels chief executive Paul Osborne.

"For the last two years watching rugby league meant watching Parramatta," Tahu said.

"I stayed close to a lot of the boys here during my time in union and I'd text or call them from time to time, so coming back just made sense to me and my family.

"Knowing so many people here, including having a friend in Paul Osborne as chief executive, it wasn't like I was coming to a new club at all, so there was no reason for me to look anywhere else really.

"Now I'm just looking forward to playing in the NRL again and in particularly in front of an Eels home crowd."

Tahu will begin training with the Eels this year, although his involvement will be restricted to the gym as he overcomes a hand injury.

Latest posts