What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's The Little Master Versus The Big Master

Andrew Webster and Christian Nicolussi
May 09, 2012 12:00AM

COULD Greg Inglis be The One?

Not just the number but the best fullback to wear the cardinal and myrtle of South Sydney since Clive Churchill?

They are valid questions to ask in the aftermath of Inglis's rarefied form since his switch from centre to fullback - a fact spectacularly underlined on Monday against the Sharks as he scored three tries, saved two, and generally ran riot.

Even the Little Master himself would've approved if he was sitting among the true believers although he would've been amazed at the size of the bloke wearing his old jumper.

In his day, Churchill weighed 73kgs. Inglis is 33kgs heavier, weighing in at 106kgs; a lethal combination of speed, size and skill.

Asked if he could recall seeing a larger fullback, Souths coach Michael Maguire said: "Not that I know of. He'll go down as one of the largest fullbacks going around.

"He's worked very, very hard on having to the fitness levels required to play there. People don't see the hard work going on behind the scenes at the moment."

During the All-Stars weekend, Inglis was adamant that he would not be moving to fullback.

Maguire insists it wasn't a dummy. With Nathan Merritt also in the squad, they were keeping their options open.

Now that is seems improbable that Inglis will play any other position for the remainder of his career.

It raises questions of how dominant he could've been if not for Billy Slater's emergence ahead of him at the Storm.

For their part, senior Rabbitohs always thought the positional shift was destined to work, and is responsible for the club's recent run.

Sam Burgess said Inglis deceived a lot of rival players with his own hulking frame.

"GI is a big human. When you stand next to him he's quite an imposing figure," Burgess said.

"To see the way he moves and changes direction, that's why he finds space. He is a natural athlete, and if you tell him to do anything he'll do it. I always knew he'd succeed at fullback, it's just a matter of getting the kilometres into his legs.

"Billy Slater runs 10km to 11km a game, and Greggy isn't far off that."

Says Issac Luke: "For a big boy like him he can still move. Give him space and it's really hard to stop him.

"He's earning his strips in the team, he has the respect from fans, his teammates and the Maroon boys as well.

"He's a different player to Billy. Billy, he's hard to pin-point. GI is powerful yet elusive. They're both world class."

Merritt lost his spot at the back to Inglis but is delighted to remain on the wing and be part of the show.

"The kid's on fire, we're on a roll, and it's all come on the back of GI's performances at fullback," Merritt said.

"The best thing is GI and his kick returns. He gets us on the front foot, for a big boy he knows how to take the line on and get quick play-the-balls. I can jump in and scoot out from dummy half for the second hit-up."

Now the heat is on Maguire and Souths' management to ensure Inglis wears the cardinal and myrtle jumper for life.

Inglis is off contract at the end of next season but the club would extend it tomorrow if he wanted to.

"I've got no comment about those sorts of things. We obviously see him here for a long long time," Maguire said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-the-big-master/story-e6frexnr-1226350181236 http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-the-big-master/story-e6frexnr-1226350181236

BunniesMan

Immortal
We've already said it's just a matter of learning where the cap will be in 2014 to know how much to pay him.

He's settled in Sydney, he's going nowhere.

merrit man

Juniors
everyone talks about churchill and how he was dominant etc, but ive seen footage of him and in todays game i think he would be like a brett stewart not the best but one of the better. GI if fit for the remainder of his career will be on par with billy slater as the best fullback to have ever played the game.

Bundy Rabbit

Juniors
Always very difficult these player, past and present comparisons.
I never saw Clive Churchill play, i only knew him as coach.My uncle always used to say that Clive Churchill was the greatest rugby league player he'd ever seen and comming from him, i would definitely respect that statement but my uncle never got to see Greg Inglis or Billy Slater play.Just going by what i've been told i'd have to stick with my Uncles assessment but Inglis and Slater are just superb players make no mistake.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
COULD Greg Inglis be The One?

someone needs to tell GI that "there is no spoon"..

matrixdiv2.gif

natheel

Coach
everyone talks about churchill and how he was dominant etc, but ive seen footage of him and in todays game i think he would be like a brett stewart not the best but one of the better. GI if fit for the remainder of his career will be on par with billy slater as the best fullback to have ever played the game.

Ingles is going to be good but no way will he be better than slater

I can see him being like hayne, he can turn a game with his natural skill but I'd he isn't in the game 100% he will get criticized like hayne does. Will be one of the most exciting to watch when in form like hayne has size like hayne and can play a playmaking role from the back like hayne.

Comparing him to slater is ridiculous.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
No doubt that with a young half and the partner that he has, we depend on others to chip in for our attack.

That is what we get with Inglis playing at the back, and you can also add Luke into that mix.

pierced

Juniors
Isn't it amazing how a few games shift a footy clubs focus. We're supose to be building something new but it's the same. One player makes the difference. An exciting new attraction. I have a question. Why do we concede so many points. Personally, I think it's because our kicking game finds our opp at the half way line on tackle one. (im exaggerating Big Sam, don't lose ur f**king salad!) Halves don't impact our defence I'm told. What if our kicking game pinned them back to their try line every second kick. Would that influence our defence.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Our defence has been poor for some time, and although you can see we have improved this year, they are probably still getting used to the new structures. It is only Round 10.

Whilst some of our players have defensive issues (like most sides to be fair), we seem to concede a lot of tries late in matches. The team has at least admitted that they are not playing for 80, so hopefully they can improve that as the season wears on. Clearly we will need to with the amount of points being scored against us.

If we can have some luck with injuries, I am not too worried about how our attack is progressing at this stage.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
It's tough to compare players from different eras. You might argue they played a different game. 6 tackle and 10 metres and Churchill unlimited tackles 1 yard defensive lines. It's simply not practical to compare. Ones a legend and one could easily become one.IMO Inglis has the potential to be the greatest outside back the game has seen and he certainly showing the type of commitment this year to suggest he could well become just that. Having never seen Churchill play, from what I have read about him was he chimed into the backline and presented opportunities for his team mates. Hence he did not score a lot of tries.

It's tough to compare players from different eras. You might argue they played a different game. 6 tackle and 10 metres and Churchill unlimited tackles 1 yard defensive lines. It's simply not practical to compare. Ones a legend and one could easily become one.IMO Inglis has the potential to be the greatest outside back the game has seen and he certainly showing the type of commitment this year to suggest he could well become just that. Having never seen Churchill play, from what I have read about him was he chimed into the backline and presented opportunities for his team mates. Hence he did not score a lot of tries.

Players of the calibre of Churchill would succeed in any era.

Noa

First Grade
Its not a given, height of yesteryears stars is a big factor.

If he played today he may get to 83kg but he'd still only be 173cm. Even Reg Gasnier would be somewhat of a midget against todays centers at 5'11'.

Not saying they wouldnt be good though.

Its not a given, height of yesteryears stars is a big factor.

If he played today he may get to 83kg but he'd still only be 173cm. Even Reg Gasnier would be somewhat of a midget against todays centers at 5'11'.

Not saying they wouldnt be good though.

stars of years gone by,would adapt.Maybe with the facilities offered today they may even be better than our current stars of the game.

Noa

First Grade
stars of years gone by,would adapt.Maybe with the facilities offered today they may even be better than our current stars of the game.

You missed the point.

They could have all the skill in the world but by todays standards some of the past great players would be undersized no matter how much muscle mass they put on.

Noa

First Grade
Big difference between 173 and 178/79, etc

But if you think it wouldnt make any difference thats your prerogative.

gypsy

Bench
I missed the big team selections earlier.
Can anyone pleasing be telling me who from the rabbitohs won the selection into the big mighty blues side? :cool:

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
Who is 178/179 cm Bowen or slater. I doubt Bowen is 178/179 cm more like 173 cm. If we are talking slater fair enough. There's no doubt if you are of equal abillity than sure extra weight and height will be of an advantage. The point being is that slater is regarded as the best and he would be on the small side by today's standards as was Churchill in his day. Unless you saw them head to head you will never know who was the better. Bottom line is players are only better because of what they saw the previous generation do. If the slater of this world could not do things better today, the game would have stagnated.