What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary ..

Das Hassler

Bench
Like tigers fans can talk look at there shit coach

To quote Lenny " the Baptist" McLean....
"Ok...so you're da brains den"

Just to add.....if you DO know that Maquire has won superleague and nrl titles...how would you describe the coaches who haven't then?

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I doubt another coach would of done with these frauds pretending to be a FG side. Going forward is where a decent coach would help

ram raid

Bench
What's with all this deflection? ''YOUR COACH SUCKS TOO!" Children ...

If it matters, I'm not even a Warriors fan. And I don't dislike Penrith. I quite like the club actually. It just dawned on me how much you guys have been burdened with Ivan the Ordinary.

As for the arguments about Ivan Vs Madge. I'd take Madge any day. I'd take Ivan over Kearny, but that's not saying much.

Das Hassler

Bench
If you dont mind me saying i don't believe it's an issue of Ivan's capability as a coach in the technical aspects of the game but that he doesnt exactly "know" how to deal with the generation..for want of a better term...of the perpetual young squad the Panthers have locked themselves into as a blueprint for longterm success....when he so often shrugs and says " i dont know" i believe that's what he's talking about...he really doesnt.. and... as much as this will probably be laughed away, i also believe it's the primary reason for Maloney's club form....someone who can so totally control and win successive SOO series isn't burnt out...no coincidence that a player who knows so much about the game gives the same "i dont know" answer so often...i believe he's tried hard but has just succumbed to frustration and that's what's on display now....he needed the dominant presence of a James Graham or Cordner there with him.
Just a view from.the outside

Vic Mackey

Referee
I doubt another coach would of done with these frauds pretending to be a FG side. Going forward is where a decent coach would help

Except one did, he got you to the finals 3 years in a row. Now you had the Supercoach come in, and your juniors were all better then Merrin, Peachey and CHN, it’s the beginning of a dynasty!

mxlegend99

Referee
I got no issue with the Tigers sticking the boot in tbh. The way the club conducted themselves during the time was unprofessional & arrogant. If the shoe was on the other foot, we’d be giving them a good old hiding too.

As for the Warriors fans... let them smile for one time this year. We are brothers in disappointment.
Does anyone here really care when a contract ends early? Player.. coach. Any contract?

I mean we are disappointed in losing them. But does anyone actually go around hoping for these guys to fail? I suppose a few might. But personally I enjoy seeing our guys succeed and only cheer against them when they play us.

If a coach walks out early...who f**king cares? Average coaches are a dime a dozen.

OldPanther

Coach
Except one did, he got you to the finals 3 years in a row. Now you had the Supercoach come in, and your juniors were all better then Merrin, Peachey and CHN, it’s the beginning of a dynasty!

So you're just here to troll? Can't even get the facts right.

Whino

Bench
If I was a Warriors fan I wouldn't be pointing out another club has a shit coach when their own coach is equally shit or perhaps shittier.

martielang

Bench
Does anyone here really care when a contract ends early? Player.. coach. Any contract?

I mean we are disappointed in losing them. But does anyone actually go around hoping for these guys to fail? I suppose a few might. But personally I enjoy seeing our guys succeed and only cheer against them when they play us.

If a coach walks out early...who f**king cares? Average coaches are a dime a dozen.

Think it’s different though, Cleary was spruiking he’d turn the Tigers around, was all about being on board with him for the long term, signed a bunch of ageing blokes on long term contracts, then jumped clubs at the first opportunity. If you don’t understand why Tigers fans want to see him / us fail, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Im not going back over old ground, but if you seriously think the way the club conducted themselves last year (both the hiring & firing) was fine or normal business, see above.

ram raid

Bench
Think it’s different though, Cleary was spruiking he’d turn the Tigers around, was all about being on board with him for the long term, signed a bunch of ageing blokes on long term contracts, then jumped clubs at the first opportunity. If you don’t understand why Tigers fans want to see him / us fail, I’m not sure what to tell you.

I was a pretty low move. I think he knew it too. But he had to weigh that up against his chance to achieve his life long dream and coach his son.

mxlegend99

Referee

Im not going back over old ground, but if you seriously think the way the club conducted themselves last year (both the hiring & firing) was fine or normal business, see above.
The way our club conducted itself is irrelevant to their reaction at him leaving them.

Ivan is a coach... that they (rightfully) claim is average. Yet a year later their reaction is about being disappointed about losing him despite being better off without him. It's honestly ridiculous being upset about an outcome that is better for you... and its also hypocritical considering considering coaches contracts didnt mean anything to the club for the previous coaches they punted early.

Trent Robinson and Craig Bellamy are the only two coaches worth that sort of reaction over. Hell almostall other coaches have threads with fans wanting them sacked. Not sure how Ivan with average results was able to upset so many people when he left.

Das Hassler

Bench
The way our club conducted itself is irrelevant to their reaction at him leaving them.

Ivan is a coach... that they (rightfully) claim is average. Yet a year later their reaction is about being disappointed about losing him despite being better off without him. It's honestly ridiculous being upset about an outcome that is better for you... and its also hypocritical considering considering coaches contracts didnt mean anything to the club for the previous coaches they punted early.

Trent Robinson and Craig Bellamy are the only two coaches worth that sort of reaction over. Hell almostall other coaches have threads with fans wanting them sacked. Not sure how Ivan with average results was able to upset so many people when he left.

You don't get it whatsoever. ...it wasnt about what kind of coach he was or about the calibre of his replacement. ...here it is in a nutshell...WT had endured an extended period of absolute hell prior to Ivan's arrival ...disruption from every direction culminating in the season long Isaac Moses (cretin) shitfight over his "big 4". ...the club and supporters wanted stability and an end to the constant crap more than anything else. Ivan came ...in fact was GIVEN an opportunity to coach NRL again after being sacked and humiliated by Gus PROMISING us stability and a longterm commitment in return for total trust and control over the team...signings included. At every opportunity he preached about how (his words...not anyone else's ) the big 4..then big 3 as Luke had commited to WT.. had to decide if they're on the bus longterm with the club or not because that's what would be required...he spoke many times of what WT had been through and how important it was for the club to now have stability and a longterm plan under the culture he would instill. The club and supporters backed him completely and were happy with a midpack result for his first year as we were all in it together for the longterm that he preached about. For a lot of people including me the mask started to slip when the "coaching my son" stuff took hold...quite awhile before he jumped ship and the journos were speculating about Nathan coming to join him to play 7 he was asked what it would mean for ( Daly M) Luke Bkooks if Nathan came....his reply...."Luke loves WT but he knows what the situation is"...hmm..right...that's where he started to lose me. When the clandestine meetings stuff hit the news he fk'n HID from the members and supporters he'd preached to for near a full week ensuring the rumours and media hacks returned our club to a WORSE state of dusruption and uncertainty than that which he vowed to end...after being trusted and believed so completely he returned us to a state of chaos that was worse than when he arrived....we were in absolute disbelief that he could be capable of doing what he did...all for wanting to coach his ADULT son who he could have gone and coached at anytime after his contract had expired with us....it wasn't as if either were about to retire anytime soon. He was trusted at WT...the players were unified behind him and he just stabbed the whole place in the back in return...he hid...lied...gave a BS prepared statement of re- commitment then jumped ship....so...that's kinda why WT supporters are pissed with him...we're over it for sure but the reasons for the animosity are a damn sight more than just hurt feelings over "coaches come and coaches go"
Hope that helps
BTW....the other night on nrl360 he was asked about how he would be if it came down to Nathan or the club if push came to shove....he replied " it depends on what you mean by push comes to shove .. he is my son but he's just another player"...ok...just another player .here's a "what if" for you....apart from competition for the 7 jersey ( Burton's going to be a star somewhere), just say that Nathan plateau's and doesn't evolve into what would be expected from a 1mil player ...would he be considered as a candidate to be offloaded to another club in order to ease cap pressure as per the other guy that Gus declared "you could and would build the club around"...RCG?...his form drops off..he's shopped around...would the same apply to "just another player Nathan" ? doubt it....hope he goes well...good luck if he doesnt.

Apologies for the overlong post...no more about it from me...cheers

Last edited:

Marky Mark

Juniors
Ivan looks "tired" - always. He's asleep at the wheel & is responsible for our team not making the 8. Get rid of him, to quote him, he has "no idea".

Is Toovey interested in coaching?

age.s

First Grade
To be serious, I do think Ivan is a bit better than we've seen this year. I just think coaching your 21 y/o son in what appears to be at least somewhat of a fractured playing group with a mountain of public scrutiny is way too high a degree of difficulty for him. In more straightforward roles he's been ok, though never better than ok.

It's all a bit semantic though. He should never have been hired and chasing him as hard as we did was unbelievably stupid.

franklin2323

Immortal
To be serious, I do think Ivan is a bit better than we've seen this year. I just think coaching your 21 y/o son in what appears to be at least somewhat of a fractured playing group with a mountain of public scrutiny is way too high a degree of difficulty for him. In more straightforward roles he's been ok, though never better than ok.

It's all a bit semantic though. He should never have been hired and chasing him as hard as we did was unbelievably stupid.

I am far from an Ivan fan but I agree. The roster is filled with either senior guys past it or Rookies.

The way he came here won't matter if results follow. Just not sure Ivan can deliver a premiership

Abacus

Juniors

How much of the fracturing of the playing group is the result of dad coaching his 21 y/o son?

Also, Ivan is not a rookie coach. We shouldn't be waiting for him to improve. He's a seasoned coach walking into a team that made finals every season since he previously left. He should be assessed on performance from day 1.

I'm hoping the 2020 preseason is more stringent than players having fun and then sending the resultant fat club to Pie Face. But I acknowledge I may be overly optimistic.

Kilkenny

Coach
In respect of Ivan Cleary we in my opinion didn’t require a rebuild we needed a coach who could improve the playing roster that we already had.

In defence of coach Ivan Cleary we will never know the truth about our salary cap situation given we were led to believe under Gould it was all good and yet once Gould was gone we have shed DWZ, Blake to name a few and are trying to offload RCG and a host of others.

The only thing we know for sure is we have gone backwards in 2019 big time. Whether Gus is to blame or the new regime I frankly have no idea. The only thing we can be sure of is we have nothing to be positive about going forward and I suspect 2020 is going to be equally as dire as this current season.

ram raid

Bench
How much of the fracturing of the playing group is the result of dad coaching his 21 y/o son?

One could only speculate, but I bet it becomes a problem at some point. Ivan was open about there being a conflict of interest when his Tigers played the Panthers and Nathan. Not much of an issue for the Tigers as it was only manifest when the Tigers played the Panthers. Now they are both at the same club.

I don't think it was a smart move by Penrith or Ivan. Everybody will be constantly on the lookout for the slightest sign of nepotism and will probably find it whether it's there or not. I can understand that the heart rules the head and that Ivan wants to coach his son. But Penrith should have had more judgement.

TheFrog

Coach
But Penrith should have had more judgement.
Gus always was going to re-sign Nathan. But he didn't intend to sign Ivan. They were different decisions made by different people, which obviously is not a great way to run a show.

Latest posts