What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've figured it out! Seriously!

Eelementary

Post Whore
In this week's issue of Rugby League Week, Paul Stringer and Nathan Hindmarsh are shortly interviewed on their lack of form in 2006. They are perplexed. But Stringer lets out a quote which, I believe, says a whole lot:

"What's frustrating is that we're doing the same things that got us to the Minor Premiership last year."

Now, obvious sarcasm aside ("You weren't dropping as much ball or missing as many tackles on they way to the Minor Premiership last year!"), it speaks volumes about the crisis.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A DIG AT BRIAN SMITH, BUT A WELL THOUGHT-OUT, CONSTRUCTIVE PIECE

Part of being a successful coach in any sport is adaptability. What worked one year isn'y necessarily going to work the next year - especially when coaches from other teams adapt and use this to their advantage.

I believe this could be a huge part of our struggling form. We clearly need a new gameplan, strictly for 2006. This season is different to 2005 - Manly and the Roosters have made a few good signings and could be a REAL Top 8 threat (unlike last year); the Cowboys and Knights are firing on all cylinders; and we're struggling.

New gameplan, Coach Smith. Please.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I don't like our defensive tactic of backing away and sliding. If we insist on running from dummy half in attack then we need to limit the oppositions go forward not allow them to run.

Smartman

Juniors
Eelementary said:
This season is different to 2005 - Manly and the Roosters have made a few good signings and could be a REAL Top 8 threat (unlike last year); the Cowboys and Knights are firing on all cylinders; and we're struggling.

New gameplan, Coach Smith. Please.

Hit the nail right on the head right there.

I said before the season started the BIG gun teams will improve ten fold this year although some havent yet.

The Knights, Rorters and Canterbury to name a few will have far better seasons.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Smartman said:
Hit the nail right on the head right there.

I said before the season started the BIG gun teams will improve ten fold this year although some havent yet.

The Knights, Rorters and Canterbury to name a few will have far better seasons.

fancy you calling the Roosters, Rorters!! :lol: :lol:

btw, still waiting for that PM?? ;-)

Hurriflatch

Referee
eelavation said:
fancy you calling the Roosters, Rorters!! :lol: :lol:

btw, still waiting for that PM?? ;-)

Ah to that's it

I just thought he got confused and listed the Bulldogs twice

strider

Post Whore
ok - so, what's different in the NRL this year from last year that we need to adapt to?

My only obvious observation so far is the crack down on tackling around the head.

Otherwise I don't see any major change ... not like when the Roosters went the gang tackle belt the hell out of everyone in defence in 2002 on ... or even the Tigers standing deeper and quick spreading of the ball last year.

What do we have to adapt to?

To me, our problem seems to be a total lack of ball control and shocking defense (simply falling off tackles)

Hurriflatch

Referee
I tend to agree with you that there don't seem to be any major changes to the way the game is played this year compared to 2005.

but the players attitudes can change as can the performances of certain teams.

Parramatta can't go into the season thinking everything will work as well as it did last year.

It's like a batsman who makes 100 in his 1st innings he can't come in the 2nd innings and expect to play to same from ball 1 in that innings as he was in ball 100 of his previous innings.

yy_cheng

Coach
Eelementary has a slight point in that if we are using the same old plays, the same old forwards rucking it straight out, the same backs running from dummy half, the same Widders dummy dummy step, etc.

If the opposition do their homework, they've got us covered in terms of strategy as they know what to expect. If they execute their plan correctly, then they have our measure.

So the lack of change in personnel has actually been detrimental and probably why Zeb did well as he was an unknown quantity.

However, after the Broncos game, I mentioned that I like the way that Lockyer passes to a deeper 2nd man. We started doing that after that game too and it looked good. But that is useless when we drop the ball.

So Strategy has had some, but not all, input to our downfall.

strider

Post Whore
yy_cheng said:
Eelementary has a slight point in that if we are using the same old plays, the same old forwards rucking it straight out, the same backs running from dummy half, the same Widders dummy dummy step, etc.

If the opposition do their homework, they've got us covered in terms of strategy as they know what to expect. If they execute their plan correctly, then they have our measure.

So the lack of change in personnel has actually been detrimental and probably why Zeb did well as he was an unknown quantity.

However, after the Broncos game, I mentioned that I like the way that Lockyer passes to a deeper 2nd man. We started doing that after that game too and it looked good. But that is useless when we drop the ball.

So Strategy has had some, but not all, input to our downfall.

this isn't even a season to season thing ... i think within a season a team will see what u do - teams always have to adapt from week to week

The Colonel

Immortal
Smartman said:
Rorters and Canterbury to name a few will have far better seasons.

:lol: Not with the current depth both teams have. We may be struggling now but when the inevitable injuries occur during a long season both your mob and the Rorters (so ironic :roll: ) will come back to the field if they haven't already.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
no point showing them the 2006 strategy in March/April though ;-)

otherwise they'll work it out by September... it's all in the timing

Kornstar

Coach
I think our defensive coach applying for other jobs and having his mind elsewhere has been a BIG problem......not to mention our coach leaving at the end of the year......i also don't think that they do any ball drill sessions........

Suitman

Post Whore
coca-cola said:
its one thing to drop the ball but dropping luke burt has been our biggest mistake.

Not at all.

He needed a kick up the arse.
Maybe when he comes back, we'll see the sort of potential that he has always promised.

Suity

PS. I think our capt could do with a stint down there as well.

Eelementary

Post Whore
strider said:
ok - so, what's different in the NRL this year from last year that we need to adapt to?

My only obvious observation so far is the crack down on tackling around the head.

Otherwise I don't see any major change ... not like when the Roosters went the gang tackle belt the hell out of everyone in defence in 2002 on ... or even the Tigers standing deeper and quick spreading of the ball last year.

What do we have to adapt to?

To me, our problem seems to be a total lack of ball control and shocking defense (simply falling off tackles)

How about:

* Ben and Tim Smith being more heavily targeted;

* Smart coaches exploiting the fact we have a predictable, run from dummy half gameplan;

* Smart coaches exploiting our lack of GENUINE creative 5/8 (we took Tim off againts Brisbane, and look how well we went).

The competition changes from year to year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't think that any good coach can afford to coast by using the same techniques he did the previous season.

Let's be honest - what did the 2005 tacticts get us? A Minor Premiership. That's it. Obviously, we need to make SOME adjustments.

The thing is, though, PERHAPS Brian has come up with adjustments, but the players aren't performing. Case in point - the Brisbane match.

We didn't target Tupou like any semi-smart team would have. Now, if Brian is as smart as most say he is (and I would agree that he is), then how come we didn't target Tupou in defence? Presumably because our players didn't obey.

If that is the case, it opens up a whole new can of worms.

strider

Post Whore
in all honesty i don't think its anything complex - i think we are just not doing the little things well for periods of games - dropping the ball too much,missing tackles, etc

Latest posts