What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ive Got it.....16 teams.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Its good to have theories about teams in Perth and Adelaide, but have you done a feasabilty study on either region? would the game prosper and create interest? Would the game be able to survive there if the team was performing poor over long periods of time? Would the game generate enough funds to enusre long term stability or growth?

Its all about business. Its all about long term growth and stability. Its all about having success to DRAW people through the gates. Its all about creating interest in the game to ensure the youth take up the game and play it right through out there lives with the hope of making the first grade squad.

There's a lot more than just placing a team there and wishing it all the best. Something the ARL failed to do last time with its ventures and something the NRL failed to with Melbourne.

Front Rower, the ARL did not fail with Perth. If Super League didn't come crashing in and trying to take over, Perth would be a 50/50 city by now (AFL/NRL).

You can't judge the success of Adelaide and Perth on 2 and 3 years respectively (in the midst of a whole lot of fighting for control).

The only way to get juniors in the future from Adelaide and Perth, is to give them a team to want to play for. Perth had to jump through lots of hoops before coming in in 1995 and the ARL were making a great investment in the interests of the game. News stuffed that up.

Watch for some full houses at Members Equity Stadium next year.

Anonymous

Juniors
I don't buy all this bullshiit about not enough talent, and not enough money for Perth and Adelaide. If they were still here today they would probably be contributing more than they took. Teams in those areas start providing juniors for the competition, thereby cancelling out player shortages. The extra exposure gained by having teams in these area would provide money through sponsorship and tv ratings.

We need to try and expand into these area - if we are not expanding, we're contracting.

t-ba

Post Whore
Front-Rower said:
If you would of read what I said I said the problem with Super League was that they tried to bury the tradition in the game.

And If you read what I said...Super Leagues foundations were flawed, the planned competition was a travesty and its execution was a joke.The only positive thing to come out of Super League was The Video Ref...

You look at the competition this year, how many quality first graders are there running around at for instance Parramatta, Souths, Cronulla, Wests lucky too be about 3 or 4 in each team.

That's a load of BS. 'First Grade' is what you make of it, and all of those clubs have 'first grade' quality players. It's a matter of distributing talent equally. You could have 4 teams and there's still be a whipping boy. Not everyone can have a squad the quality of the Dogs or the Roosters.

In this hypothetical 4 team competition, people would probably claim the spooners didn't have enough 'first grade quality players'. It's all relative. Invest in juniors, and the quality would gradually increase. This years was the closest competed since 1991.

You want to make the competition a 20 team national game, go ahead throw the money around, build the competition to a truly national comp. But when it all back fires and there is no more rugby league don't start crying and remember even the Swans don't get that much support here in Sydney when they have an OK year.

Riiight. Adelaide and Perth aren't Markets like Sydney or Melbourne. They are Markets like Brisbane and Auckland, where the Lions and the Warriors have made a go of getting a chunk of the media spotlight and are celebrity.

A national comp never backfired in a fashion that would indicate that the game can't survive on a national platform. My personal desire would be an 18 team comp with the 3 biddees and two Sydney Relocations, but a long term strategy angling towards twenty teams is quite achievable.

While I think of it to. I suppose you have never been to Perth. Every second TV add has Perth Glory players in it. Thats where their TV money comes from. I don't see to many Manly players on TV adds.

I wasn't aware that players private advertising contracts impacted on the clubs finances. A few points:
A) I doubt these adds have Particularly impressive production values (market exclusive, a market smaller than NNSW and SNSW)
B) I doubt they Payed much for the players services
C) If they are on every second add, About 10 Freo and 20 WCE players must be in every add...
D) Boots and All showed an add with Big M.G. for something or other in Perth back in the mid 1990's!

t-ba

Post Whore
Balmain_Boy said:
I don't buy all this bullshiit about not enough talent, and not enough money for Perth and Adelaide. If they were still here today they would probably be contributing more than they took. Teams in those areas start providing juniors for the competition, thereby cancelling out player shortages. The extra exposure gained by having teams in these area would provide money through sponsorship and tv ratings.

We need to try and expand into these area - if we are not expanding, we're contracting.

Bingo. Even with the utter destruction of the WARL after the Reds left, it produced Daniel Holdsworth this year.

dimitri

First Grade
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Front Rower, the ARL did not fail with Perth. If Super League didn't come crashing in and trying to take over, Perth would be a 50/50 city by now (AFL/NRL).

You can't judge the success of Adelaide and Perth on 2 and 3 years respectively (in the midst of a whole lot of fighting for control).

The only way to get juniors in the future from Adelaide and Perth, is to give them a team to want to play for. Perth had to jump through lots of hoops before coming in in 1995 and the ARL were making a great investment in the interests of the game. News stuffed that up.

Watch for some full houses at Members Equity Stadium next year.

thats 100% correct

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Big-Steve

Juniors
simostorm said:
Big-Steve said:
simostorm said:
16.New Team-Gold Coast or Wellinton not CC
Hows that,

It's f***ed!!!

When I mean not a CC team thats assuming Souths would relocate there,
but its just a bit of fantasy that I put in anyway.

Any CC team should be the Bears. They are the ones that sacrifised everything and did all the leg work.

If the Bunnies want to move to the CC permently they will have to become the Bears in red and black as per the agreement.

At any rate it's Cronulla that is concidering a move to the CC not the Rabbits.

Cheers

Big-Steve

Juniors
simostorm said:
So the Sharks would become the Bears then if they did that.

At the moment while the aggreement is in place.

I don't think any existing NRL team will attempt it seriously until the 16th team debate is well and truly over.

But then it looks like going on and on for ever :roll:

DIEHARD

----
Im talking 20 teams 15 plus years from now. I wouldnt touch Perth for a decade. Spend 10 years developing the local competition and hosting NRL games over there and fighting for some decent coverage of our sport on TV.

DIEHARD

----
Also we cant think of Perth until Melbourne are running well. 6 years after their establishment I still see a shithouse local competition.....why?

Queensland can support 2 more clubs easiliy. They already have ready made fanbases just waiting for a team. Same with New Zealand, we all know the sheer volume of talent they have. And they should be able to play at home in NZ.

We need the Bears back eventually. And either Perth or Adelaide. Some clubs may relocate in the time being but I couldnt name any I believe should....Maybe just Cronulla. ;-)

simostorm

Bench
Perth and Adelaide had good crowds in there first years, but so did the Storm, if only the Nrl had got behind Storm in 98 and brought down more develpment officers then instead of just assuming people would leave there religon (Afl)
for the Storm, then we might have maintained those crowds.

Balmain_Boy said:

Yes. If there are no teams there then theres no sponsorship money coming from those areas. A FTA deal that sees nation wide live coverage, teams in Adelaide or Perth (relocations), and a complete 'blizgrieg' of promotion and development officers would be the greatest leap forward this game has ever taken.

Latest posts